Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Auto Hold Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Auto Hold Retrofit

Has anyone tried this? Looks interesting. Not sure how difficult the install is. The website doesn't let me download the instructions without actually buying the kit.

https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/audi/...?tab=anleitung
Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been considering this for a while now. it looks like the best value for a mod from kufatec (other than the $40 auto start/stop disable).

subbed just in case someone buys and installs one before me

for the ROW people that have this feature, do you need to activate this (press the button) every time you start the car? how is this feature helpful in your everyday drive? (do not post links to audi technical websites (asking about your experience), i've read those already.)

Last edited by parad1mg; 02-02-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 336 Likes on 264 Posts

It seems a bit pointless with an automatic though. They don't tend to roll in gear (at least I have never had an issue).
Old 02-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
It seems a bit pointless with an automatic though. They don't tend to roll in gear (at least I have never had an issue).
California stop and go traffic in the city, car rolls back in slight inclines. On more noticeable grades, hill hold works OK.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Auto Hold applies the brake to all four wheels (not the parking brake) every time the car comes to a complete stop. It not only prevents rolling but also allows you to take your foot off the brake while waiting at traffic lights or driving in stop-and-go traffic.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I gotcha, makes sense.

I'm surprised it just doesn't automatically do this (now I have to check this out!) My BMW340 has the same ZF8 speed sport transmission, and I don't recall it rolling. I know they do what you are describing if the car had a manual gearbox, and perhaps my BMW auto "just does it" as well.

Sounds like something you could just code in with an OBDEleven or equivalent. I don't see any real case where having this on all the time would be bad.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

US cars already have Hill Start Assist. Which when coming to a full stop on an incline, holds the brakes for about three seconds when releasing the brake pedal to start moving. Preventing the car from rolling back while the driver changes from the brake pedal to the throttle. Works pretty well, and is a must have feature if you have the S-tronic, since the car will roll back like a manual transmission car, but even with the ZF it works better than putting stress on the torque converter and if you are on an incline steep enough the torque converter at idle won't be enough to hold the car. Hill Start Assist engages automatically when the car detects a steep enough incline and you come to a full stop.

Auto Hold goes a step further and holds the brakes indefinitely, but has to be manually engaged. It first holds the brakes and lets you take your foot off the brake pedal once stopped. It releases the brakes once you get back on the throttle. If you are stopped longer, the ABS pumps tend to overheat, so it will instead automatically engage the e-brake and release the brakes to avoid overheating the pumps. From that point on, the automatic release of the e-brake takes over once you step on the throttle again.

I personally don't quite get the point of Auto Hold. I'm always stopped with my foot on the brakes. If I do need or want to take my foot off the brake I can quickly engage the e-brake and basically largely get the same behavior. Doesn't seem to be worth $155.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the clarification. If you have to press the brake to come to a stop, I don't see the value in having it hold the brakes for me. I'm with you though, I'd just rest my foot on the brake.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i'll most likely get the retrofit kit at the end of February.

I've never seen or met anyone yet that took their foot off the brake while stopped in traffic, intersection or on public roads unless of course you want to use the surrounding vehicles around you as stop blocks.

This is a very useful feature for my case as the car rolls back a bit during stop and go traffic. In city driving through some areas in SoCal, other drivers (mostly clunkers and trucks) tend to tailgate during traffic. As the hill hold does not work on slight inclines, and the car rolls back between transitioning from brake to gas, auto hold might be the perfect solution.

Last edited by parad1mg; 02-05-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I retrofitted this to my B9 A4 allroad over a year ago and also on my SQ5. I had the feature in previous VAG vehicles here and in Europe, as well as in other brands, like BMW. Audi removed it for unknown reasons. I was the first to enable it on MLBevo and helped a few others. I'm irritated to see Kufatec now selling a module, although I guess it was a matter of time.

The work required can be invasive, depending on your level of expertise and how intimate you want to get with your interior. The upper part of the center console needs to be removed. It's held in place by numerous clips which are fragile and probably break. You also need to remove the start/stop button trim/storage cubby, button panel above, trim under the steering wheel, driver-side cubby, and the lower A-pillar trim (which requires removing the hood release) to route several wires to J519. Splicing is also required into an existing connector.

The feature will remain enabled after ignition cycles. I find I use it less on my SQ5 than I did on my allroad owing to the "grittier" brakes. They introduce an obnoxious vibration into the cabin when starting off since the transition from brake applied to brake released is not as smooth as transitioning from brake pedal to accelerator pedal.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 02-06-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Hold Retrofit