Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Auto setting on climate control

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto setting on climate control

2018 Q5, no matter how high I have the heat up when I click "Auto" it turns on the Air Conditioning. Have others seen this?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The air conditioning dries the air, not just cools it. The heater then warms the dry air. If it was raining and cold it would clear the windows much faster with warm, dry air instead of humid warm air.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yea I wouldn't worry about it if you think it's cooling the car, it's not. Historically i've had a habit of turning off the AC when on auto in my other cars due to believing it's using up more energy (battery/gas), whether that's true or not I dont know.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by evanestal
2018 Q5, no matter how high I have the heat up when I click "Auto" it turns on the Air Conditioning. Have others seen this?
It's not only on Audi , others cars do same thing.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

AC = Air Conditioner not Air Cooler. Air conditioning doesn't just involve cooling/heating the air. As others have said, it removes humidity from the air. The system will automatically determine if it needs to run the compressor or not. Just because AC is turned on, doesn't mean it actually is running the compressor.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that when I leave the climate control on "auto" the fan speed stays consistent. I thought it was supposed to regulate as desired temperature is reached. The fan always seems to stay running on high and eventually I just manually turn the fan speed down as it is driving me crazy. Is this normal? I expected the fan to lower itself down after awhile.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Is it actually on "auto"? First couple of days I had that issue (since the **** says "auto") but the little indicator circle on the **** was a black circle with a white center (not auto). Pressing the button fills the circle and it controls the fan automatically.

My case was an issue between steering wheel and seat.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wires
Is it actually on "auto"? First couple of days I had that issue (since the **** says "auto") but the little indicator circle on the **** was a black circle with a white center (not auto). Pressing the button fills the circle and it controls the fan automatically.

My case was an issue between steering wheel and seat.
Yes, I believe it is on Auto as I've toggled back and forth to test it out.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

I run mine in "sync" mode so both front and rear have the same temp. If one side or the rear wasn't in auto, the fan would run independent as well.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

If in doubt? For ten bucks buy a digital thermometer, pop the stem into the AC vents, and see what it is doing "fer sure". It is possible that the AC (which is available immediately) is coming on before you have engine heat available, or overwhelming the electric preheat, but the system thermostat "should" be throttling back the air conditioning (AC!) if the heat is not being supplied.

2018=warranty= "Takee Fixee!" and let them confirm that while you're having coffee. Or at least let them try to explain why it is happening.

Quick Reply: Auto setting on climate control