Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Auto Stop/Start Modulation

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibson6594
I've had other cars with auto stop/start (***), but more so with my Q5, I feel that I need to use the brake to enforce the engagement. If I gently come to a stop, the engine will keep running, but once stopped, if I apply firm pressure to the brake pedal, the engine will move to Ready mode.?
This is in the manual - Page 80 in at "Tips" box. "You can determine for yourself if the engine will stop or not by reducing or increasing the amount of force you use to press the brake pedal..." It also says on Page 79 that under certain conditions the engine may stop when coasting before the vehicle has come to a complete stop.

But....
Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is this feature really beneficial to the vehicle and the environment?
We've all learned in Auto Shop (you do remember when high school had some very applicable classes) that most engine wear occurs when you first start the engine.
I've been taught that this is because:
1. The engine isn't warmed up so engine tolerances are loose (not the case with the stop/start feature)
2. There isn't pressurized oil in the bearing journals (crank, cam, etc.)
3. There isn't pressurized oil in the valve guides
There may be more areas of wear but I didn't pay close enough attention in class.

I've also been told that the starter has a limited number of starts in it's life. Every time you engage the starter it wears the pinion gear. Why doesn't the start/stop system hammer on the starter (anybody know where there's a schematic of the starter system on the 3.0?)

I've also been told that when you first start a car, there are extra emissions as it takes more gas to get the motor started than to have it continue to run. (less of a problem with sophisticated fuel injection and variable valves but may still be true to some degree)

So... either all of this old school information is no longer valid or the constant stopping and starting is wearing out our vehicles faster and creating additional pollution.

What's the deal here?
Is the Auto Start/Stop eating up our engines and creating additional emissions?

If you tell me that it's the system is better (which it very well could be) - please provide some cites to credible sources.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree and hate this feature tremendously, for all the reasons above, not to mention the annoyance factor lol... try driving here in traffic in miami with 100 degree temps and 100% humidity and watch how you feel when this shuts off while you're stopped.
another, maybe better way to disable it (if you don't have the obdeleven thing that we can't seem to get with iphone lol) is just hit drive twice which starts in S mode and disables automatically, in either drive mode, dynamic, comfort or individual. I drive in S every single time no matter what anyhow lol
Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyAK
We've all learned in Auto Shop (you do remember when high school had some very applicable classes) that most engine wear occurs when you first start the engine.
1. The engine isn't warmed up so engine tolerances are loose (not the case with the stop/start feature)
There may be more areas of wear but I didn't pay close enough attention in class.

I've also been told that the starter has a limited number of starts in it's life. Every time you engage the starter it wears the pinion gear. Why doesn't the start/stop system hammer on the starter (anybody know where there's a schematic of the starter system on the 3.0?)

I've also been told that when you first start a car, there are extra emissions as it takes more gas to get the motor started than to have it continue to run. (less of a problem with sophisticated fuel injection and variable valves but may still be true to some degree)

So... either all of this old school information is no longer valid or the constant stopping and starting is wearing out our vehicles faster and creating additional pollution.

What's the deal here?1,000

If you tell me that it's the system is better (which it very well could be) - please provide some cites to credible sources.
Back in 2005 when we took delivery of our Lexus rx400h hybrid which was a new model at the time, the constant start stop was a big topic of discussion. The hybrid V6 is starting and stopping 1,000's
of times on a single trip, not just at stop lights, but every time it coasted, no matter what speed. Still have the vehicle and at 180K the feature works great and there has been no issue with the engine or the electric starter that is still original. Used Castrol blend oil for first 80K and Pennzoil synthetic up to now.
The start stop saves 10% on average on fuel, and aren't we also told that idle of the engine produces more wear than driving at normal speeds. Just my two cents.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for sharing the real world experience katzjamr.
The proof is in the pudding and 180k is a big bowl of pudding!
There have obviously been substantial improvements in all of the systems that I'm concerned about. Time to learn more about how they've minimized these sources of wear!
I look forward to having a similar experience with the Audi.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyAK

What's the deal here?

This has all been addressed with the A.S.S. engines. Starters are beefier and made to cycle more. BUT... the one thing that takes the brunt is the battery. It's undergoing a lot more drain/charge cycles which will kill it sooner. I'd love to see real world numbers on what the savings actually are for fuel though. These engines idle/run ridiculously lean, so how much fuel is really consumed at idle waiting for a light to change? I suppose if your commute makes you hit non-stop red traffic lights you'd burn less fuel, but saying "you'll save 10% fuel" is quite subjective.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting comment about the battery, in the hybrid the main traction (large) battery takes over all electrical function once the vehicle is started, so starting batteries under the hood were not affected. I was always amazed at how smoothly and efficiently the whole system worked, Toyota has done a good job in this area, they own over 900 patents on their hybrid technology alone.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

There’s hundreds of online articles about the wear/tear and fuel economy with auto start/stop engaged. From what I’ve read, the consensus appears to be:

1. Starter motors are built to handle the more than ten times usual start-stop cycles, with no premature death of the starter being the case.

2. Battery is also much beefier.... so although replacement intervals are said to be on par with vehicles not engaging the auto stop/start, battery replacement cost will be consideably more than cars without this higher rated battery. A case could be made for less battery change intervals if the feature is turned off, however the life span of a battery is also age related, meaning that less stop-starts may not necessarily translate to significantly longer battery life.

3. Fuel saviings can be as high as 8%...but too many variables are in place to substantiate an “average” savings in fuel costs.

None of the foregoing is settled science, so to speak. Plenty of lengthy threads on some forums about this topic, and some lively debate as well (to put it charitably). It will be a topic that will continue to draw out plenty of ardent supporters of one side or the other of the wear- tear and fuel savings issues.

As for me, I don’t mind it at all. The more quiet in my life, the better....even if they do come in little slices of time.

Parenthetically speaking, anyone notice how the start stop feature dies not engage when the wheels are turned? At my drive thru starbucks, when I am in line on a curve, the start stop function will not engage. Ever.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Los
Disabled it with no problems using the OBDEleven. Also tweaked a few others settings in the car.

I modified other settings as well. The difference here is not OBDEleven or VCDS, it's the car itself. There's a whole other thread about mixed success disabling this, via any method, for B9 SQ5's.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims

Parenthetically speaking, anyone notice how the start stop feature dies not engage when the wheels are turned? At my drive thru starbucks, when I am in line on a curve, the start stop function will not engage. Ever.
I don't drink sbux coffee.

Quick Reply: Auto Stop/Start Modulation