Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

auto stop & start not working consistently....??!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default auto stop & start not working consistently....??!

I'll come to a complete stop but the car will not turn off. The A symbol for auto stop/start will show upon the instrument panel but crossed off. Seems to be happening more now that it's cold out. Why is this?

See here: https://imgur.com/a/FNkNH
Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
I'll come to a complete stop but the car will not turn off. The A symbol for auto stop/start will show upon the instrument panel but crossed off. Seems to be happening more now that it's cold out. Why is this?

Found it in my manual of 79. Looks like it could be because of high power consumption, environmental conditions, battery, engine temp, etc.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, there are so many conditions that need to be met for the system to actually shut off the car that it makes it very difficult to predict exactly when it will work. If you want it to shut off the car at a stop make sure you have your foot firmly on the brake because a light foot on the pedal is also a condition that will prevent the system from shutting down the engine.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don’t like the feature anyway, wish it could be switched off in settings. First thing I do after starting car is turning it off! Regards. Ned.
The following users liked this post:
Chasboland (09-28-2022)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Don’t like the feature anyway, wish it could be switched off in settings. First thing I do after starting car is turning it off! Regards. Ned.
Hi Ned. I'm with you - I also don't like the feature, and I always use the deactivate button after starting the car.
Do you possibly have an OBDeleven device? I bought one a couple of months ago, mainly to activate Audi Active Lane Assist on my '18 Q5. Totally successful. I've since also activated "Scandinavian DRLs" and disabled the seat belt warning using the OBDeleven's included "apps".
Anyway.. in the list of included apps within the main OBDeleven app (installed on my Android phone) there's an option to activate or deactivate the auto start-stop function. I think I might give that a go later today, to see if the app actually works/applies the change to permanently deactivate auto start-stop.
Besides using that simple-to-use custom app I've read there's another way to deactivate auto start-stop.. and that's by changing the auto start-stop voltage limit to 12V (new value) in Control Unit 19's Adaptation settings, using the OBDeleven, VCDS or other such device.
- Richard
Old 11-11-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rbreeze
Hi Ned. I'm with you - I also don't like the feature, and I always use the deactivate button after starting the car.
Do you possibly have an OBDeleven device? I bought one a couple of months ago, mainly to activate Audi Active Lane Assist on my '18 Q5. Totally successful. I've since also activated "Scandinavian DRLs" and disabled the seat belt warning using the OBDeleven's included "apps".
Anyway.. in the list of included apps within the main OBDeleven app (installed on my Android phone) there's an option to activate or deactivate the auto start-stop function. I think I might give that a go later today, to see if the app actually works/applies the change to permanently deactivate auto start-stop.
Besides using that simple-to-use custom app I've read there's another way to deactivate auto start-stop.. and that's by changing the auto start-stop voltage limit to 12V (new value) in Control Unit 19's Adaptation settings, using the OBDeleven, VCDS or other such device.
- Richard
Can you use obd11 to make it so auto high beams are on by default?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting, so you guys are saying the feature is enabled by default and the user must disable it? Is this model specific or across the lineup?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aclass
Interesting, so you guys are saying the feature is enabled by default and the user must disable it? Is this model specific or across the lineup?
Pretty common feature everywhere these days that enable the manufacturer to get better mpg ratings on their fleets. Not on s8 and perhaps some other super performance vehicles. My friend just bought the Cadillac mid size suv and the feature is not defeatable, that would be a deal killer for me. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it in my manual of 79. Looks like it could be because of high power consumption, environmental conditions, battery, engine temp, etc.
Once the AC or Heat reach the desired temperature setting, then stop/start works fine for me.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you use obd11 to make it so auto high beams are on by default?
^ Hmm.. not sure. But perhaps someone else here with more experience on tweaking Audis can comment on that.
Are you unhappy that you have to double tap single tap the turn signal lever forward at each nighttime engine start to activate the high beam assistant? To me it's not a biggie.

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-13-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Changed "double tap" reference to "single tap".

Quick Reply: auto stop & start not working consistently....??!