Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

B9 SQ5 w/20x10 ET30 and 295/40/20 tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default B9 SQ5 w/20x10 ET30 and 295/40/20 tires

*Don't see a tire/wheel-specific thread on AW (like on AZ), so I'll just post this up on it's own. Once I have a chance to take some proper photos, I'll add them here.*

Okay ... so I believe my SQ5 may be the first B9 with 20x10, ET30 and 295/40/20 rubber. Shop found no clearance issues and didn't see any rubbing in their shakedown. I was prepared with 3mm and 5mm spacers JIC, but they weren't needed. WOOT!

Vossen Forged ML-X2 in Brushed Space Grey finish, with lightening pockets and custom engraving.

Also had lowering links installed. Custom / made to spec based on measurements directly from my car. Currently sits about 35mm lower than stock in Dynamic (seen here).

I only stopped by the shop today to see how it came out and take a couple phone snaps, so I've not driven it yet to confirm 'zero rub'. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning, take it for a spirited drive on one of our local twisties, then report back.

Preview of how it looked after install. I was worried about going down a size since 21s are perfectly matched to the SQ5 body IMO and the OE 21s, specifically, look great. After seeing it though ... I think this setup rocks. And since the car is my wife's daily, I'm hoping the ride will be a bit more compliant (our roads are ****) while the fat sidewalls afford some better rim protection (my wife curbs every wheel, and these beauties sell for over $7k).

Lowering links:

Snaps:

Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

That looks really great! Vossen has some awesome options these days

While I agree that the 21s look awesome, ill take the extra sidewall of the 20s all day!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Quick follow up ...

I took several photos during a shakedown run after collecting it yesterday. I can officially say there is no rub and zero clearance issues with this set up. I drove roads that put it to the test, and aside from soaking up the tarmac with those beefy sidewalls ... no drama.

Lowered about 35mm from stock (in Dynamic setting here), 20x10 ET30 with NO spacers, 295/40/20 Conti DWS06 tires.

There is some poke up front; rears are perfect. My shop thinks we might be able to shave another 2mm off, but I'm fine with how it looks. She chunky.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh man I can't get enough of these pictures! Incredible!! Nicely done man!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always your photography is top notch Rob. I prefer the 21s on mine, but the offset and rubber does look quite nice on your ride. I really need to figure out a good lowering solution thats easily reversible. I wonder if the dealer would freak out if I brought it in a bit lower. I don't have a good pulse on the dealers in AZ anymore.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wishbone
As always your photography is top notch Rob. I prefer the 21s on mine, but the offset and rubber does look quite nice on your ride. I really need to figure out a good lowering solution thats easily reversible. I wonder if the dealer would freak out if I brought it in a bit lower. I don't have a good pulse on the dealers in AZ anymore.
Did you get a Prestige? Can't remember. If so, lowering links are super easy ... and they're really not have a reason to question it unless you bring it in slammed in Dynamic mode. If you have P+ and static set up, then it's a little different.

How are you liking it so far?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrooklynSQ5
Oh man I can't get enough of these pictures! Incredible!! Nicely done man!
Thanks man. You'll slowly see these trickle into my IG feed ... then you'll have had enough. :P
Old 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rob O
Did you get a Prestige? Can't remember. If so, lowering links are super easy ... and they're really not have a reason to question it unless you bring it in slammed in Dynamic mode. If you have P+ and static set up, then it's a little different.

How are you liking it so far?
Sorry I'm hassling you in two threads on the same thing! Yes I have the full air suspension of the prestige.

How do you like the ride in dynamic with it lowered? I remember when I lowered my allroad it really negatively effected the ride quality.

I'm liking it quite a bit. There are things that I'm not terribly happy with, that will probably need to be addressed at the next service, but overall I very much enjoy driving it. As long as it keeps the random pre-sense activation to a minimum, I'm not at all a fan of that system.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wishbone
How do you like the ride in dynamic with it lowered? I remember when I lowered my allroad it really negatively effected the ride quality.
Keeping in mind I went down to 20s at the same time, so have more sidewall than before, the ride is as good as stock Dynamic with 21s ... And the chunky tires absorb bumps and imperfections better. I've driven it on demanding roads since install and it truly rides perfect. I love this set up.

Also note that I'm not slammed. I think it's right about 35mm (not quite an inch and a half) below stock. No doubt that factors in.

As long as it keeps the random pre-sense activation to a minimum, I'm not at all a fan of that system.
I f*cuking hate Pre-Sense. Every time it'd activate in my S5, which has only ever been backing out of my driveway, I've launched into a terrets laden verbal assault on the car. Thankfully, it can be fully disabled (turned off) ... Which is unfortunate, since the system could be useful in terms of safety and real accidence avoidance situations. But yah, turn that **** off.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rob O
Keeping in mind I went down to 20s at the same time, so have more sidewall than before, the ride is as good as stock Dynamic with 21s ... And the chunky tires absorb bumps and imperfections better. I've driven it on demanding roads since install and it truly rides perfect. I love this set up.

Also note that I'm not slammed. I think it's right about 35mm (not quite an inch and a half) below stock. No doubt that factors in.

I f*cuking hate Pre-Sense. Every time it'd activate in my S5, which has only ever been backing out of my driveway, I've launched into a terrets laden verbal assault on the car. Thankfully, it can be fully disabled (turned off) ... Which is unfortunate, since the system could be useful in terms of safety and real accidence avoidance situations. But yah, turn that **** off.
Wow, well then, share the love. Is this a standard feature or OBD programming thing? I honestly haven't dug into it, but I don't see any real value and plenty of danger in this system.

That's nice to hear about the ride quality, when I get more free time I'll look into those options again.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it in the manual. I like the idea, but it's been way to obtrusive for me. If you don't know it's there until it saves you, it would be great, but it's way too aggressive. However, it does say it activates again every time the ignition is restarted?

If the system is switched off, it switches on again automatically once the ignition is switched on again .

Last edited by wishbone; 06-13-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: B9 SQ5 w/20x10 ET30 and 295/40/20 tires