Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Broke off my shark fin and need help with estimate

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke off my shark fin and need help with estimate

I need help with an estimate for a 2018 Q5 shark antenna repair/replacement. The antenna was pulled clear off and it looks like the cables attaching it to the car are a bit frayed from the way it was ripped off the roof (by the garage door). How much should I be expecting in repairs and replacements? I'm being told the entire shark fin needs to be replaced (but it looked ok to me) because it was missing some clips that attach it to the roof? Also the metal when it was attached got pulled up and now looks like someone took a can opener to the area where it got pried up. Help!!! I think I'm not getting the full facts and might be getting taken advantage of. I just need a sanity check on if it on the up and up. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard that the back windows needs to come out and if the roof is bent then the paint and repairs to that would be there as well. Sorry to hear that, I think about that fin every time I drive into my garage while the door is coming up.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the paint damaged beyond the area the fin will cover when reattached?
There is always two ways to do a job. The right way and the opposite. I'd imagine a crafty repair person could cobble it back together using all the old stuff, reforming the metal of the roof to reattach.
The right way, just pulling a number out after giving some thought. $1500-$2000.
The following users liked this post:
urs6_ma (10-09-2023)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

1) I doubt the clips are available separately unless you buy it at a junkyard.
2) If it is done right my guess is $4-5k easy, as that's a lot of painting IF they can fix the sheetmetal.
3) clear tube of silicone caulk is quicker.

A scratch and some bondo on my wifes A3 ( same spot 2X) was 4-5k each time and they did replace the rear window to paint the panel.

Now obviously a hack can do it cheaper. The paint job I got was as good as Audi puts on if not a hair smoother.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by My2018Q5
I need help with an estimate for a 2018 Q5 shark antenna repair/replacement. The antenna was pulled clear off and it looks like the cables attaching it to the car are a bit frayed from the way it was ripped off the roof (by the garage door). How much should I be expecting in repairs and replacements? I'm being told the entire shark fin needs to be replaced (but it looked ok to me) because it was missing some clips that attach it to the roof? Also the metal when it was attached got pulled up and now looks like someone took a can opener to the area where it got pried up. Help!!! I think I'm not getting the full facts and might be getting taken advantage of. I just need a sanity check on if it on the up and up. Thanks in advance.
What has your insurance company said? Get an estimate from a good body shop as well. We had a similar experience with our Benz and the insurance covered everything except the copay. Good luck....and if you have a good agent he or she should be able to help.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I think even 4 to 5k might be on the low side. Aside from the body work, the headliner needs to come out to wire the new one in. Several hundred on the antenna, closing in on 15 to 20 hours of labor, primer, paint, clear, blending to surrounding paint... Hope you have good insurance, it's unfortunately gonna be a costly repair
Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same repair done just 2 weeks ago. Total $5854. Q5-2018.
There is quite a lesson learned. Took 36 days since Audi has no clue that they actually have a repair kit for the antenna cables.
you can contact me for details.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy... Chawski called it! I will forever not ener my garage when the door is still opening.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Haha what was the estimate?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Wasn't me but jakman76 said it was $5854 for the same repair on his car. Idk if I'd be debating on whether to just seal up the hole and live without the radio.

Quick Reply: Broke off my shark fin and need help with estimate