Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Broken Wheel Hanger Alignment Pin

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Broken Wheel Hanger Alignment Pin

I swapped my winter wheels and snow tires this weekend and broke the plastic Wheel Hanger Alignment Pin which Audi provides. I am surprised that Audi includes a plastic pin for this - guess they presume it is for emergency only. I was able to replace 6 tires before it gave up the ghost. Definitely a pain doing the last two tires without it.For anyone changing their own tires,

I recommend buying a metal replacement before you do so. Like this one:
Wheel Hanger Alignment Pins Wheel Alignment Tools Automotive Guide Pin, Wheel Hangers Wheel Pin M14 x P1.5 2-Pack Wheel Hanger Alignment Pins Wheel Alignment Tools Automotive Guide Pin, Wheel Hangers Wheel Pin M14 x P1.5 2-Pack

Anyway, nice to have my summer wheels and A/S tires back on.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I never use it. The emergency brake keeps the rears in place and if you assemble the front wheels close and your careful you can start one bolt easy enough to align.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Funny you should mention this because I used the plastic pin that came with my allroad for 9 seasons....that's 4 wheels two times per year - never broke the pin but was always a concern. Now with the SQ5 I've switched to winters and back only once....no problem yet but these wheels are significantly larger and heavier than what I had on the allroad so time will tell but I don't like my chances.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Default another cost-cutting measure?

Yes, I was rather surprised my 2019 SQ5 came with the plastic wheel alignment pin, when I changed from winters to all-seasons. My 2015 SQ5 came with a nice aluminum hanger. If I had known...

Add this to the other cost-cutting measures -- privacy cover now an option, much cheaper scissor jack, harder plastics on doors, etc.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I am totally unaware there even is such a thing. I don't even know if one came with my car. Or is this just a "S" Q5 thing
Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It will be in with the tire tools bag under the rear floor. It looks like this:

While I'm sure I could develop technique to change the tire without one (I did have to), it is much easier with one. The tire going on was different diameter than the one coming off - ever so slight enough to make it a pain. Plus if the car is jacked up beyond the minimum for the tire to come off, it's too high to line up the holes. Then the car needs to come down (but off course too far) and then back up until perfect. It was because the car was up just a bit too high that the pin broke in the first place.

Last edited by spindlewood; 04-02-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought a metal set on Amazon. I believe the brand is ABN. Came in a 2 pack for like $10 or 12
Old 04-02-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chawski
I bought a metal set on Amazon. I believe the brand is ABN. Came in a 2 pack for like $10 or 12
Same one I linked to above
Old 04-02-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I am totally unaware there even is such a thing. I don't even know if one came with my car. Or is this just a "S" Q5 thing
I believe this is meant to be an emergency side of the road wheel change thing. My 2002 allroad was not an s-type but had one. You screw this in to one of the bolt holes before you put the replacement wheel on so you're guaranteed that the first lug bolt you put in will already be lined up with a hole. Maybe not so crucial in your garage but by the side of the road at night a definite time saver. Having used one for many years the tips I can offer are - 1) Be careful not to cross-thread it when you're screwing in the hole - if it's not screwing in easily take it out right away, make sure you're going in perfectly perpendicular to the rotor and try again. 2) don't use it as much of a hangar but more as a guide as you slide the wheel on. Would really suck to break this down close to the top of the threads and then be stuck by the side of the road with no way to get the threaded part out of the hole. 3) If you have a hard time getting it out, the metal part of the emergency screw driver fits through the hole in the top for turning leverage.

Last edited by Benzie; 04-02-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I found this thing in the tire tool kit. It is a solid hunk of metal. I thought it was for towing or something. But with this one, you will have to hold the tire in place while you try to screw this in. Is this something different?

Quick Reply: Broken Wheel Hanger Alignment Pin