C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page > C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S

Reply

 
 
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 AM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 50
Default C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2018-audi-sq5-vs-2017-mercedes-amg-glc43-2017-porsche-macan-s-comparison-tes

The SQ5 comes in last. Looks like the SQ5 needs to drop some more weight to compete with MB and Porsche. I’ve owned both a Macan S and now the 2018 SQ5 and I have to agree with some of the criticisms. The Porsche is more fun to drive, duh ��. But I like the gearing of the 8-speed auto on the SQ5 much better at lower speeds. The Macan’s PDK shifts a little faster, but the gearing is too tall in first and second, causing an awkward pause starting from a dead stop or accelerating from 5-10 MPH. This combined with a little turbo lag requires one to use Manual shifting or Sport mode to compensate.Once you’re moving 20MPH, everything is great. Because of this low speed gearing issue, you get a more pronounced slingshot effect when the turbo boost kicks in. This feels fun, but can be harder to control than the more even power delivery of the SQ5. The ride comfort of the Macan is smoother than the SQ5 IMO. Both vehicles had the air suspensions. This might be partially due to the wheel size and tire types. My Macan had 20” wheels with Michelin Latitude A/S tires while the SQ5 has 21” wheels with lower profile Pirelli P-Zero Summer tires. I’ve got 20” wheels with A/S tires on order for winter, so I will see if that makes the difference. The braking on the SQ5 is superior to the Macan as documented by the test results. I prefer the feel of the SQ5 brakes over the Macan. Cornering is a little better in the Macan with less body roll, but with torque vectoring with the Sport package, the SQ5 holds it’s own. I like the sport seats in the SQ5 better than the 14-ways in the Macan, and I’m a pretty stout dude at 5’8” 225 lbs. I really like the interior of the SQ5 with the carbon inlays, heated steering wheel, and easy controls. The tech is much better in the Audi with the Virtual Cockpit and Navigation. I also really like the shifter in the Audi with the ability to quickly shift into Sport mode without taking my eyes off the road. And finally, the B&O sound system is much better than the Macan Bose system, with clearer highs and cleaner mid-range. So, overall I’m very happy with my SQ5. Yeah, it’s not as sexy looking as the Porsche or quite as fun to drive, but it is the complete package IMHO! ��

Last edited by dawiz4u; 10-23-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added link to article
dawiz4u is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
  #2
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 353
Default

Originally Posted by dawiz4u View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2018-audi-sq5-vs-2017-mercedes-amg-glc43-2017-porsche-macan-s-comparison-tes

The SQ5 comes in last. Looks like the SQ5 needs to drop some more weight to compete with MB and Porsche. Iíve owned both a Macan S and now the 2018 SQ5 and I have to agree with some of the criticisms. The Porsche is more fun to drive, duh ��. But I like the gearing of the 8-speed auto on the SQ5 much better at lower speeds. The Macanís PDK shifts a little faster, but the gearing is too tall in first and second, causing an awkward pause starting from a dead stop or accelerating from 5-10 MPH. This combined with a little turbo lag requires one to use Manual shifting or Sport mode to compensate.Once youíre moving 20MPH, everything is great. Because of this low speed gearing issue, you get a more pronounced slingshot effect when the turbo boost kicks in. This feels fun, but can be harder to control than the more even power delivery of the SQ5. The ride comfort of the Macan is smoother than the SQ5 IMO. Both vehicles had the air suspensions. This might be partially due to the wheel size and tire types. My Macan had 20Ē wheels with Michelin Latitude A/S tires while the SQ5 has 21Ē wheels with lower profile Pirelli P-Zero Summer tires. Iíve got 20Ē wheels with A/S tires on order for winter, so I will see if that makes the difference. The braking on the SQ5 is superior to the Macan as documented by the test results. I prefer the feel of the SQ5 brakes over the Macan. Cornering is a little better in the Macan with less body roll, but with torque vectoring with the Sport package, the SQ5 holds itís own. I like the sport seats in the SQ5 better than the 14-ways in the Macan, and Iím a pretty stout dude at 5í8Ē 225 lbs. I really like the interior of the SQ5 with the carbon inlays, heated steering wheel, and easy controls. The tech is much better in the Audi with the Virtual Cockpit and Navigation. I also really like the shifter in the Audi with the ability to quickly shift into Sport mode without taking my eyes off the road. And finally, the B&O sound system is much better than the Macan Bose system, with clearer highs and cleaner mid-range. So, overall Iím very happy with my SQ5. Yeah, itís not as sexy looking as the Porsche or quite as fun to drive, but it is the complete package IMHO! ��
I recently purchased an sq5 Prestige and test drove the Porsche Macan S and the Mercedes glc43 before making my buying decision. I personally donít agree with the C&D review at all, let alone the sizable beat by the glc43. The glc was nice in many ways, the engine/tranny were standouts but the sq is better in almost every other way. I happen to think that the suspension on the sq is phenomenal, the perfect balance between performance and comfort and thatís in the comfort mode, sportier in dynamic obviously. The glc43 I test drove with 20 inch rims was teeth rattling over rough roads in comfort mode, a deal killer for me, and my sq had 21 inch rims. The tech is way more user friendly in the Audi, the Mercedes Command is still a mess. I like the interior of sq better, the breaks are better. The cabin in my Prestige level with the insulated glass is quieter. The B&O stereo is very satisfactory, in fact much better than the one in my S8 plus amazingly, thatís crap unfortunately. As far as the Macan, the sq is just a way better value proposition. The Macan, like the glc, is more responsive off the line and a bit better at handling but I overall prefer the comfort of the sq suspension, better balanced. Of course the sq is a newer design and had a much cleaner, nicer interior without the sea of buttons, newer tech as well. The auto magazines often get a large case of ďmotor headĒ and donít see the forest through the trees, this review is a major example. This class of vehicle has come a long way and all three are very credible products, just 3-4 years ago any one would have been top of the heap. But for my money, the Audi is easily the best package, and if they could address the turbo lag, if thatís whatís causing the inconsistent throttle, there wouldnít even be a discussion. I saw this article posted on the glc forum and posed my opinions, needless to say they called me names, accused me of trolling and otherwise hurt my feelings! And Iíve been a long time Mercedes customer until this year but thatís another story. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:27 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 50
Default

Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I recently purchased an sq5 Prestige and test drove the Porsche Macan S and the Mercedes glc43 before making my buying decision. I personally donít agree with the C&D review at all, let alone the sizable beat by the glc43. The glc was nice in many ways, the engine/tranny were standouts but the sq is better in almost every other way. I happen to think that the suspension on the sq is phenomenal, the perfect balance between performance and comfort and thatís in the comfort mode, sportier in dynamic obviously. The glc43 I test drove with 20 inch rims was teeth rattling over rough roads in comfort mode, a deal killer for me, and my sq had 21 inch rims. The tech is way more user friendly in the Audi, the Mercedes Command is still a mess. I like the interior of sq better, the breaks are better. The cabin in my Prestige level with the insulated glass is quieter. The B&O stereo is very satisfactory, in fact much better than the one in my S8 plus amazingly, thatís crap unfortunately. As far as the Macan, the sq is just a way better value proposition. The Macan, like the glc, is more responsive off the line and a bit better at handling but I overall prefer the comfort of the sq suspension, better balanced. Of course the sq is a newer design and had a much cleaner, nicer interior without the sea of buttons, newer tech as well. The auto magazines often get a large case of ďmotor headĒ and donít see the forest through the trees, this review is a major example. This class of vehicle has come a long way and all three are very credible products, just 3-4 years ago any one would have been top of the heap. But for my money, the Audi is easily the best package, and if they could address the turbo lag, if thatís whatís causing the inconsistent throttle, there wouldnít even be a discussion. I saw this article posted on the glc forum and posed my opinions, needless to say they called me names, accused me of trolling and otherwise hurt my feelings! And Iíve been a long time Mercedes customer until this year but thatís another story. Regards. Ned.
I have to agree with a lot of your points. The ride of the SQ5 is very balanced between comfort and Dynamic modes. It just was not quite as smooth as the Macan with air suspension and 20Ē wheels, but perfectly acceptable. I actually find the SQ5 quicker off the line than the Macan, because of the lower gearing of the 8 speed auto. Of course the Macan will pass the Audi once the turbo boost kicks in fully on the Macan.This makes the Audi more drivable in my opinion, especially in slow traffic. I whole heartedly agree that the SQ5 is a better value than the Macan. The standard Macan interior and sound system is pretty basic for a luxury suv. The SQ5 comes pretty loaded before you add the Napa seats and carbon inlays. The sport exhaust and sport design-like exterior (extra on the Macan S, standard on the GTS) come standard on the SQ5. I love the sport pedals too. The B&O sound is a reasonably priced option at $950 and is far superior to the Macan Bose sound system option. Overall, Iím very happy with my SQ5!
dawiz4u is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:23 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Member
 
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Default

These are the 3 cars I was picking from to replace my TDI which was my second Q5.

I couldn't get over the fact that the Mecan looks like a Q3 and was outdated.

The SQ is just awesome but I got tired of waiting for a Night Package to come out and I hate the chrome on it.

Loved everything about the AMG. It's command system does seem difficult to navigate at first but once you get the hand of it, it's simple to use and works well.
ParadigmDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 PM
  #5
AudiWorld Member
 
benjaminnicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 192
Default

I agree quite a bit with C&D.

I still own a Macan and there's nothing like driving a Porsche. It's a driver's car. You don't buy one to save money... You buy one because you can and because it's truly a vehicle that's a joy to drive. And that PDK is incredible. Beats the Audi hands down.

It's not that the SQ5 is bad: It's a great vehicle. I enjoy driving it. I just made the move from Porsche to Audi and not the other way around, leaving the rough edges all the more glaring.
benjaminnicholas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM
  #6
AudiWorld Member
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 501
Default

I stopped reading at the comment of body roll and NO turbo lag comments. Mine is flat through corners, turns in with very little understeer and on throttle through corners the diff rotates the car. I've been driving mine really hard through turns lately and scared myself a bit with how well it holds a corner. Turbo lag is absolutely present (but tolerable) and anyone who says otherwise is straight up wrong. C&D is way off their game lately.
Transfer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 PM
  #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 353
Default

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas View Post
I agree quite a bit with C&D.

I still own a Macan and there's nothing like driving a Porsche. It's a driver's car. You don't buy one to save money... You buy one because you can and because it's truly a vehicle that's a joy to drive. And that PDK is incredible. Beats the Audi hands down.

It's not that the SQ5 is bad: It's a great vehicle. I enjoy driving it. I just made the move from Porsche to Audi and not the other way around, leaving the rough edges all the more glaring.
I would agree with the assessment that the Porsche is a bit more of the drivers car but still feel the sq is the better overall car, not really that far behind the Porsche as a drivers car as well. Newer, nicer inside, better tech and a better value proposition. I could have bought either and preferred the Audi. Even could have gotten a great deal on a new 2017 Macan S turbo and still preferred the sq5 prestige. Both pretty great. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 PM
  #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 81
Default

Lol at talking about real "driver's car" in this segment. You can keep telling yourself your Macan is a real "driver's car" and I'll just sit here and laugh at you thinking your 4,200+ lb all wheel drive SUV with all of its high center of gravity glory and raised ride height is even remotely close to a real driver's car.
damnitBobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 AM
  #9
AudiWorld Member
 
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Default

Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Lol at talking about real "driver's car" in this segment. You can keep telling yourself your Macan is a real "driver's car" and I'll just sit here and laugh at you thinking your 4,200+ lb all wheel drive SUV with all of its high center of gravity glory and raised ride height is even remotely close to a real driver's car.
How about a "Driver's SUV"?
ParadigmDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM
  #10
AudiWorld Member
 
daberlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 190
Default

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas View Post
I agree quite a bit with C&D.

I still own a Macan and there's nothing like driving a Porsche. It's a driver's car. You don't buy one to save money... You buy one because you can and because it's truly a vehicle that's a joy to drive. And that PDK is incredible. Beats the Audi hands down.

It's not that the SQ5 is bad: It's a great vehicle. I enjoy driving it. I just made the move from Porsche to Audi and not the other way around, leaving the rough edges all the more glaring.
One day a lady walked up to my wife and I at the supermarket as we were getting into our Porsche. She said, 'I love your car! What kind of gas mileage do you get in it'. I said to her thank you very much, but honestly I have NO idea. I hope as little as possible! :-) The look of confusion on her face was priceless. A Porsche is never about getting from A to B. Which is why I didn't buy one to replace my wife's SUV. She has completely different priorities than I do in a vehicle. She loves the SQ5, and I love making her happy. Win Win. The MB GLC 43/63, and Macan S/Turbo are amazing vehicles. But that doesn't mean the Q5/SQ5 is an also ran third. In our book, the SQ5 came in first and we are still thrilled with the decision.

PDK vs. Manual. Ah, a fiery topic on a different forum. My current and prior Porsche is/was PDK. I live in LA and couldn't deal with a Manual as a daily driver for even 5 minutes. That said, the bog standard ZF transmission in the SQ5 is no slouch and who cares if it doesn't shift in 100ms. Frankly, only time will tell how durable the PDK is after 10/15 years. $15K replacement btw if it packs it in. Porsche does NOT repair PDKs!
daberlin is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: