Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

A/C Misbehaving

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Misbehaving

I’ve got a new problem that shouldn’t be happening. Hot day.... Turn on AC to Max, and then want to lower the fan speed. After a few minutes I’m thinking the AC on this car really sucks. Then I notice it’s off. So I turn on Max AC again and notice as soon as I change the fan speed the AC turns off.

Now, I know this is not right; besides pure logic, but the fact that it doesn’t always do it. Anybody else have this problem? I think it also happens if I change the vents the air comes out of. I have to check every time I change a setting and I shouldn’t have to.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t have the issue, but any chance you are pressing two buttons on the same time?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this happen to me and you aren’t going to like the answer.

The system has dropped below the required pressure (scanned with OBDEleven) and there was a leak in the system. Keep it on Off and bring it to the ASAP as not to fry the compressor. I had to have the top cover replaced. Was in shop for 2 days.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jester7677
I had this happen to me and you aren’t going to like the answer.

The system has dropped below the required pressure (scanned with OBDEleven) and there was a leak in the system. Keep it on Off and bring it to the ASAP as not to fry the compressor. I had to have the top cover replaced. Was in shop for 2 days.
It only happens when I try to change fan speeds or vents. Doesn’t matter if I’ve just turned it on or it’s been running. I can turn it back on Max or any setting and it works fine. It just turns off when I press the fan speed. I have OBDeleven coming, what setting did you check?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
I don’t have the issue, but any chance you are pressing two buttons on the same time?
Is this you alternative to responding ‘SUBSCRIBED’? No, brainiac, I’m not pressing two buttons. But I’ll check with the monkey when I ask it to turn down the fan.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just used the tool to scan for any codes (it will cycle and scan all locations) then googled the and passed that info to the dealer.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jascooper

Is this you alternative to responding ‘SUBSCRIBED’? No, brainiac, I’m not pressing two buttons. But I’ll check with the monkey when I ask it to turn down the fan.
why always the attitude? You need to relax people are just trying to help.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

why always the attitude? You need to relax people are just trying to help.
Ignore such people. They aren’t worth wasting your time over
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your AC on and running before you switch it to max? Turn it to 70 and push in for Auto and see if it stays on.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NeedMoreHP
Is your AC on and running before you switch it to max? Turn it to 70 and push in for Auto and see if it stays on.
i think so. It seems like it should be a logical scenario. Hot day. Get in car and switch to MAX. I assume AC was already on. After short time I want to leave temp on LO, just turn down fan speed. Press speed button and AC shuts off (just the AC function. Not fan or system). Have to push AC button up to turn back on.

What makes me think it’s a problem is AC doesn’t always turn off. Sometimes it just lowers the fan speed like it should.

Quick Reply: A/C Misbehaving