Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Car alarm triggering when unlocking with fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car alarm triggering when unlocking with fob

I have a 2022 Q5, and for about three weeks now (right around 1 year of ownership), I've been having an issue where when I unlock the car with the fob, it is triggering the car alarm. Not every time, but frequently. I took it in to the dealership this week, and of course when I dropped it off I couldn't re-create the issue. They weren't able to diagnose anything, just recommended that I try turning off interior monitoring. It seems like when I do that though, it has turned itself back on every time I get back in the car.

Here is the fact pattern:

-When I leave the car, I lock it using the fob, pressing the lock button once. Usually it will chirp.
-When I return to the car, I take the fob out of my pocket, press the unlock button once, and then the alarm immediately triggers. The alarm cannot be stopped by pressing any other buttons, opening the door or starting the car. Seems like I just have to wait the 10 or 20 seconds until it stops, which feels like an eternity.
-It also triggers when using the trunk unlock button instead. The only consistent solution I have found to not trigger it is holding my hand by the door handle to unlock that way.
-Usually after it has triggered, I drive somewhere, and then upon exiting and locking the car via the fob, I will NOT get the chirp at that point in time, so I assume that means the alarm is not activating then.

Any one have any ideas or suggestions? It's driving me insane, and makes me question whether I have suddenly forgotten how to use the fob correctly or something (especially since it frequently works without issue when my wife does it). I had see a random post on an e-tron forum where someone said that they found their work badge with NFC chip causing issues when stored in the center console. I thought that was the solution since there actually was a work badge stored there around the time it started. But unfortunately the issues have continued beyond then. Only other change from around that time is we bought a covercraft windshield cover which is usually either in the window or folded up in the back seat.
The following users liked this post:
aaronmurphy3030 (11-09-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a huge issue!!!! I am having the same problem and I took my SQ5 2022 into the dealer and it is still there two weeks ago, they had to send it to tier two at Audi and said the gateway was bad and I had more error codes then they have ever seen in 12 years. The dealer also has two other 2022 SQ5 waiting on a resolution as well. I am using the Audi dealer in Cary NC the advisor is AJ and if you call him he might be able to help you on. what they are trying to do to fix mine. I am going on a loaner now for 16 days ......... I also noticed you cannot turn off the alarm until is runs it cycle is why I took mine in.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

To repeat the issue turn off the car lock it with your hand and then wait 5 minutes. Then unlock the car with the fob, Bingo the alarm will go off and the chirping will quit. I would also get the attention lane keep assist waring to hold the steering wheel that would not quit. The Audi dealer put me in a loner due to safety and drive ability concerns.
I have every symptom you are explaining exactly.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Feel free to contact me it will save you two weeks of waiting I have a few details that might help.
PM me and I will send you direct phone number if you like.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Same Issue Alarm

Originally Posted by JBN40301
Feel free to contact me it will save you two weeks of waiting I have a few details that might help.
PM me and I will send you direct phone number if you like.
Could you provide some pointers? This is EXACTLY what I have experienced.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone provide any pointers on this? It's the exact same issue I just started to experience. 2022 sq5
Old 02-23-2024, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by elbarto908
Could anyone provide any pointers on this? It's the exact same issue I just started to experience. 2022 sq5
Thank heavens I have not experienced this. But I never use the key FOB to unlock the car.
A question, I appreciate that you folks are having a problem but, why are you still using the Key FOB to unlock the car? Since the first car I had that had the door handle lock and unlock, the key rarely leaves my pocket. My wife’s FOB never leaves her purse.
Just wondering.

Last edited by Elvisfan; 02-23-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very strange things you folks are experiencing. Since the first day I took delivery of my 2022 SQ5 I have always used the fob to lock and unlock the car (sometimes I inadvertently re-lock when entering with the door handle and consequently unlock with the handle). The fob stays in my pocket and I feel the lock and unlock buttons and press the appropriate one as necessary. I have never experienced the anomalies mentioned.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ron-sq5
Very strange things you folks are experiencing. Since the first day I took delivery of my 2022 SQ5 I have always used the fob to lock and unlock the car (sometimes I inadvertently re-lock when entering with the door handle and consequently unlock with the handle). The fob stays in my pocket and I feel the lock and unlock buttons and press the appropriate one as necessary. I have never experienced the anomalies mentioned.
Sounds redundant.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Sounds redundant.
Not redundant. Re-locking by door handle is accidental.

Quick Reply: Car alarm triggering when unlocking with fob