Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2018 SQ5 factory order with virtual cockpit. I was so surprised to discover that unlike my wife's 2017 S3, Apple CarPlay disables the map in the virtual cockpit whenever connected. In the S3 we can use Apple CarPlay to listen to music or send messages but still use the MMI nav on either screen at the same time. Whereas in the SQ5 the virtual cockpit's map screen becomes a giant useless compass. Interestingly the primary MMI screen still displays the normal nav map and functions if you flip to view it. I really enjoy using CarPlay but it kind of defeats one of the primary benefits of the virtual cockpit for me, which is the giant MMI map.

I'm hoping there is a way to code this to stop...can anyone help with any ideas or their own experience?

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure what’s the miss but my MMi definitely works and can access navigation with the CarPLay active and working. My only guess old software at the dealer and as it not purchased they don’t update it as they can’t perform service on it
Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
Not sure what’s the miss but my MMi definitely works and can access navigation with the CarPLay active and working. My only guess old software at the dealer and as it not purchased they don’t update it as they can’t perform service on it
Thank you. Yes, I was quite surprised too. It looks like other models have this issue too. Our S3 works as you describe though...so hopeful maybe there is a workaround or fix.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In my 2018 Q5 Prestige I can display any of the map apps in Apple Car Play on my center screen & still have the Audi map (with traffic) on the Virtual Cockpit. My car is a fairly early build so my software version is one of the earlier ones.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
In my 2018 Q5 Prestige I can display any of the map apps in Apple Car Play on my center screen & still have the Audi map (with traffic) on the Virtual Cockpit. My car is a fairly early build so my software version is one of the earlier ones.
I wish mine worked that way! That sounds exactly the same as my wife's S3 in terms of behaviour...kind of the way it should be IMHO.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure mine has the same issue... didn't think it was broken or wrong but I get that big compass in the VC also when navigating through CP with any of the 3 options, apple, google or waze.
are you saying it should NOT be displaying that compass, and it should still display the MMI navi map?

This is one of the main reasons I prefer to use the MMI nav over any of the car play applications, even though they are easier to enter addresses etc., only the MMI nav will display in the VC along with turns and directions etc. It actually works great and you have a lot of customization options while in MMI nav between the 2 screens.. there is a long thread about this somewhere here but I agree that stupid compass is annoying and useless

Last edited by Heat00; 10-01-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heat00
im pretty sure mine has the same issue... didn't think it was broken or wrong but I get that big compass in the VC also when navigating through CP with any of the 3 options, apple, google or waze.
are you saying it should NOT be displaying that compass and if so, what should it display... I'm not clear on that
It should still show the MMI maps and it does in some models/model years it seems. Maybe 2018 vehicles generally don't work this way? It's nice to be able to have the option of using the Audi MMI maps in the virtual cockpit while listening to music using the smartphone interface with CarPlay or Android Auto. The more I search the topic in other model forums, it seems the more people have experiences where it works one way or the way. Quite divided.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottn
It should still show the MMI maps and it does in some models/model years it seems. Maybe 2018 vehicles generally don't work this way? It's nice to be able to have the option of using the Audi MMI maps in the virtual cockpit while listening to music using the smartphone interface with CarPlay or Android Auto. The more I search the topic in other model forums, it seems the more people have experiences where it works one way or the way. Quite divided.
ok well mine will show MMI map in VC, even when using car play for anything, except if it's in navigation mode in one of the three so it sounds like mine is acting different?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heat00
ok well mine will show MMI map in VC, even when using car play for anything, except if it's in navigation mode in one of the three so it sounds like mine is acting different?
Yes I think that's kind of a third scenario between the two
Old 10-01-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

wonderful LOL....
this is why I use the MMI nav.. but it sounds like your problem is in fact different...
please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map