Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Carsifi (wireless android auto)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that is disheartening to hear. If I have to plug in my phone to charge it enough to use the dongle, then I might as well just plug it in to run Android Auto. The adapter doesn't add anything in that case.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RhinoDoc
Well, that is disheartening to hear.
Agreed. To be fair, my phone is 3 yrs old now (Pixel 3), so it may not be quite as efficient as a new phone's processor, and haven't tried any newer phone yet to compare. According to the AccuBattery app, my battery "health" is at 84% of its original capacity, if that matters at all. I do still enjoy it around town, which is most of my driving, since I'm then close to a charger at a desk/home otherwise if needed.

I'm curious though...didn't Audi add wireless Android Auto in the Q5 for the 2022 model year? Of course, the wireless chargers have also been missing from those cars, so you'd also have to plug in to charge anyway...
Old 03-09-2022, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by RhinoDoc
Well, that is disheartening to hear. If I have to plug in my phone to charge it enough to use the dongle, then I might as well just plug it in to run Android Auto. The adapter doesn't add anything in that case.
I keep my phone in my pocket when I am in my car. I find no need to charge it. I took an 8 hour trip using android maps through android auto and had plenty of battery left. If I take my phone out of my pocket and put in the car, I will forget and leave it there. (I am Old)
I mostly take short trips and if I can't find a location and need to google it, or want to listen to music through AA, I don't have to dig in my pocket and find a cord and plug it in, I just long hold the button on my steering wheel and talk.
For me, this has greatly improved my driving experience. For you, maybe not so much. But we are all different with different habits and needs.
My wife has build in Apple wireless in her X3 and her phone never leaves her purse, No issues with a dead battery. (Why BMW put this in a 2017 car and Audi can't do it in a 22 car is beyond me) Oh, yeah, the chip shortage, Covid, and now we have Russia to blame.
The following users liked this post:
Wires (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 336 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by hirsch014
Yes, but it's only USB C in the console ('21+ I think?). Carsifi comes with 2 choices of detachable cord, either USB C or USB A ends, which was nice. The Motorola one has only a permanent cord thats USB A only. Just need to find an adapter to be able to move it into the console, now that it appears to work reliably without adapter. Looked briefly for a small down-right-angle male C to female A (to reduce risk of breaking the port in the car), but didn't find one easily yet.

Thought it was nice of Audi to update to USB C, except now I wish they hadn't tried...even with phone plugged into the console USB C port the phone discharges slowly. There's a a long thread here somewhere about the dismal power output of that port...was originally hoping it would be enough power for a wireless AA box (it is), AND the wireless pad might be able to at least keep up with Android Auto use, but nope. USB in the glove box would be nice since the center console is so tiny.
Ahhh.. I understand. Weird they'd add the USB-C port and not have it support the actual USB-C power though.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

USB-C Port on the 2021 Q5e charges my phone very quickly, there is no dismal output.
The wireless charging is dismal.
The following users liked this post:
jebhick (03-10-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Q5 2017 with MMI rotary controller. I am also having the same issue, initially I got all connected, but every time I got in the car Android auto does not start automatically, it only happened once. I usually get the message/notification on my phone "looking for Android auto".

I opened a ticked with carsifi, one week ago, but no answer yet. I have tried some changes in the app, USB to accessory, Android auto to Always, nothing is really working.

I did find one thing that makes it work, on the Audi menu where you would see the Android auto icon, I believe is called " Switch to control manager" or something like that, i go into the primary or secondary phone and untick the my mobile phone, go into the last menu, and tick the Andorid auto connection (the one that worked on the first time) by doing this Android auto starts. I have tried this only twice so far, and it worked, it is not ideal as I expect to connect automatically when getting in the car, but at least is not that bad.

Please let me know if this also works. I believe that somehow if your phone connects to the Audi bluetooth before to carsifi, it blocks Android auto from starting.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hirsch014
Curious if anyone else has successfully set up a Carsifi dongle for wireless Android Auto yet, and what settings or tricks may have worked? '21 Q5 Prestige here. I saw some mentions of the AAWireless one, but was interested in the quick switch button on Carsifi for multiple phones, assumed they'd work similarly...haven't seen anyone here talk about Carsifi yet.

I've annoyingly spent hours trying to get it working (even though it's simple/few settings), all with different combinations of settings, erasing connection profiles, forgetting and re-pairing every bluetooth/wifi device, different cables, both usb ports, repeat repeat etc. Car kept giving me "cannot establish connection" each try (car added a connection profile, but then couldn't use it). I had given up and contacted support, but then randomly the next drive, it worked and auto-launched without me changing anything. Worked a few more times, then stopped again. Issue now seems to be my phone deleting or ignoring the bluetooth request (from carsifi)...I'm wondering if maybe because it remains powered on in the car, it keeps trying to connect to my phone, and eventually gets blocked/deleted by my phone, and so won't work next drive. Obviously unplugging the dongle each time defeats the purpose of wireless. Carsifi support was quick to respond and look at the debug log, but basically faulted the car for not initiating the connection correctly. (FYI, Android Auto works fine with the cable on my phone.)

So I suppose I'm curious...
1. Any successful Carsifi users out there?
2. How long do USB ports stay powered in the car, if not indefinitely? Does locking the car have any effect?
3. Any AAWireless users have issues with a persistent connection/requests after exiting the car?
4. Anyone using wireless Android Auto (via dongle or on 2022 model) able to use the Audi in-car wifi simultaneously, or just mobile data?

Thanks!
I haven't used this smart gadget, but I've read about various adapters from a website with good reviews. It supports wireless CarPlay and wireless Android Auto, it supports 5G network connection, the connection is very stable, and it also supports the installation of various Google applications to play all your favorite videos and movies online. I hope useful to you.
https://carplayaibox.com/products/mmb-ai-box

Last edited by Exarheas; 04-24-2022 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got my Carsifi recently - went through all the setup with all the options.. no love.

2021 SQ5. Samsung S20+. Phone sees carsifi. Car sees carsifi. Phone things AA is connected and running... car says 'connection cannot be established'. Opened a ticket with carsifi a week ago - no response yet.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I just got my Carsifi device

I got my Carsifi device and after fiddling with it for awhile, I had to turn the setting for "USB Connection Mode" to "Accessory" mode. under the "Troubleshooting" tab. Once I did that the Bluetooth connected up as expected and it worked perfectly so far. I've had it now for 3 days. I did find that after the major Android update my Samsung Z-fold 3 got, I had to re-pair my cell phone Bluetooth to the car again. After that, it seemed to work again as expected. So far so good!
Old 04-17-2022, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abueter
I got my Carsifi device and after fiddling with it for awhile, I had to turn the setting for "USB Connection Mode" to "Accessory" mode. under the "Troubleshooting" tab. Once I did that the Bluetooth connected up as expected and it worked perfectly so far. I've had it now for 3 days. I did find that after the major Android update my Samsung Z-fold 3 got, I had to re-pair my cell phone Bluetooth to the car again. After that, it seemed to work again as expected. So far so good!
Will give that a try today

Quick Reply: Carsifi (wireless android auto)