Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Defected from BMW - First Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defected from BMW - First Audi

Hi everyone,

I just booked a 2019 Q5. I've always been driving BMW cars and was close to booking an X3 30i which would have been more expensive than the Q5 where I am (Singapore). So I decided to give Audi's Q5 a go since the reviews have been generally positive.

However, are there any quality issues I should know about? Should being "made in Mexico" cause any concern? The X3 isn't made in Germany as well - it is made in USA - so I didn't think where it was made should be an important factor. Would appreciate any feedback?

Also, I'm slightly concerned that Audi will release a refreshed Q5 very soon in the smarter design language of the Q8 and upcoming new Q3. How soon do you think this will happen?
Old 04-06-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

I've had a 2000 740i, 12 X5d and still have a 08 335i.
The steering is very light comparatively and it brakes softer than a BMW. A good option to BMW since we also have a 17 A3 which sold me to get the Q5. The X5 was also made in the USA but it had an engine gremlin they couldn't find after 3 years but otherwise was very well made. I've noticed no issues with my Audi and quality seems fine.
Since the 18 was the refreshed version it will be at least a couple of years. If having the latest is a priority, why not just lease it for a year or two?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Ongbak
Hi everyone,

I just booked a 2019 Q5. I've always been driving BMW cars and was close to booking an X3 30i which would have been more expensive than the Q5 where I am (Singapore). So I decided to give Audi's Q5 a go since the reviews have been generally positive.

However, are there any quality issues I should know about? Should being "made in Mexico" cause any concern? The X3 isn't made in Germany as well - it is made in USA - so I didn't think where it was made should be an important factor. Would appreciate any feedback?

Also, I'm slightly concerned that Audi will release a refreshed Q5 very soon in the smarter design language of the Q8 and upcoming new Q3. How soon do you think this will happen?
We have a 2017 X3 and a 2018 Q5. Both are great cars. I would have gotten another X3 but I could not find one with the electronics I wanted in it so i went with the Q5. And it is nice we both don't have the same car.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!! I defected from Lexus to Audi and couldn't be happier. No concerns at all about being made in Mexico. It's Audi. Those making the car will be and are very highly trained.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also defected from BMW to Audi. Although in I did have an Audi a3 2.0 litre Tdi in 2003. I do not have any qualms about the Q5 being assembled in Mexico. After all it is assembled by robots with the final quality control and some setting up is carried out by humans.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Me too, I had a BMW M3 prior to my SQ5 (my first Audi). I thought I would really miss the M3, but I haven't really thought about it much to be honest! The SQ5 is so much more comfortable and well rounded as a car. Perhaps I'm starting to get old :/
Old 04-10-2019, 03:20 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned 5 bimmer and 2 audi in the past 10-15 years. We still own 2 bimmer at present and build quality is not really up there compare to the Audi. Audi used to have a bad name years ago but I found the more recent model years are very reliable and well made. Audi share more and more tech from Porsche these days and vise versa and I think that is definitely a good thing.

Bimmer are more dynamic/fun but that is about where the advantages stop. If u look outside performance, Audi is a better car IMHO as it is much rounder car. Haven't tried merc yet but maybe when I get a bit older, I might move over to the dark side.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last year traded my 2012 535 with m sport package for a 2018 a5 sb sport line.
no regrets...much more fun to drive and better performance. less weight, more athletic and agile.
the car has been problem free from both tech and mechanical problems.

i also enjoy the look and the versatility of the hatchback,as well as there are so few of them on the road.
in addition if i went with a 2018 5 series with similar equipment it would have been an additional $10,000. more then the a5.
i was in the bmw for 6 years, and i couldnt see going into a very similar car both inside and out for the next few years. so going to audi was a fresh change.

i took that $10,000. saved and a year later traded in for my wifes acura rdx for a 2018 q5 prem plus at year end for a great price.
car looks and drives great, but it has been in the shop too many times in the 8 months we've had only a couple of tech issues, but took numerous visits to properly repair.

Last edited by pal joey; 04-12-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ongbak
Hi everyone,

I still own an '16 X5 and similar to you I've had several BMW's in the past. Quality was not an issue in my past BMWs (made in Germany) nor my current BMW (built in US) but the cost of maintenance (outside of the pre-paid period). Reliability of my BMW's (except for my one V8 model) has not been an issue either but I tend to keep my cars not much beyond the 60,000 mile warranty. I've had Lexus cars as well, good quality and reliablity, but then again, I've not kept those cars beyond 4 years/60K miles to know if they hold up.
I'm and enthusiast so I tend to chose my cars based on the sportiness and performance features. I chose my cars knowing that sporty or performance cars might be more demanding on maintenance or might not be as reliable in the long run. But that's OK with me since I change out cars just about when the warranties run out.
"Quality" is subjective...only you can tell if the leather, materials, switchgear, etc, feels finer in one car or the other. For example...the diamond stitched Napa leather in my Audi is way better than the Dakota leather in my X5. But my X5's leather dash is way nicer than the Audi's hard vinyl dash...the MMI on the Audi is feature rich but the interface of the BMW drive is much easier/quicker to use. Your opinion might vary according to your taste and preference. IMO, "where" a car is made is less important today than it was before the success of manufacturing outsourcing and globalization (started a few decades ago). A car's quality/reliabilty is much more a factor of the manufacturers design specifications and quality control than the people making it. And the sad part of my last statements is that I'm convinced that few manufacturers will design a build anything near 100% top quality, reliable and long lasting....it is not in their interest. It would cost way too much and after all...how can they sell you a new model then?
Reliability, however, is more objective...you can google numerous unbiased reports on long term reliability on both cars and make your decisions based on facts. In the States we have an independent publication called Consumer Reports which publishes data on cars not from an enthusiast or performance point of view but extensive surveys. You can google it online. There are industry reports as well but you might take caution with that since you don't always know the sponsors.
Forums, like this one, are very informative and you might hear some reports, some very honest some very subjective, but as an enthusiast, I lean toward the subjective because I like BMW's and Audi's (Porche's and AMG's too)...otherwise, I might have just bought a Honda or Lexus.
Bottom line...if you're looking for long term reliability, crash worthiness, search independent reports and choose a brand accordingly (it most likely won't be BMW/Audi)
BUT, If you're looking for (relative) short term car enjoyment and satisfaction, read forums like this and go see/feel/drive the car yourself.
My two cents...if you're cross shopping the Q5 and want to stay with the German brands, check out the BMW X3, Merc GLC, Porche Cayenne.