Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

drove all the Macans, and....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. I have driven every Macan. Once had one as a loaner for 2 months. Somethings never felt lime it was the one that would satisfy my daily driving. Currently have a Macan GTS as a loaner and it’s damn fun. It definitely feels like more of a sports car, but not as refined as the sQ5. The sq5 is more we’ll rounded, IMO.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heat00
So, I thought I made a mistake not buying the Macan. Figured I would finally go and look and drive them closely. If I fell in love, then bye bye SQ5.
Within 2 days, i got to see a Macan S, Macan GTS, and Macan Turbo. I got to drive the S and the Turbo, not the GTS however that's in between as far as power anyhow.
I know it's not fair to compare the GTS or Turbo as they are waaay more than the SQ5 (even though it seem anyone I know with one and the forums all compare to the GTS or turbo). That's ridiculous, you have to compare similar price range to be fair. For me, that didn't matter much as I looked at a turbo with a few miles that was getting close the sq5 price.
After driving the S, which was back to back with my SQ5 drive within 30 minutes, I was not impressed. There is NO way the S will keep up with the SQ5. Power felt underwhelming to say the least. I do like the look of the macan and the seats felt really good. Overall the vehicle felt very sporty and handling felt good, probably better than the sq5. However, the sound and power did not feel good and was no where on par with our powertrain. (Please keep in mind these are my opinions based on feel, no test results or anything else lol).
On paper they should be close in fact I believe the 0-60 on the Macan S is slightly quicker at about 4.7 while some reports have ours at 5.1 to 5.3 but I don't really believe those numbers. I think the SQ is faster in actuality and I think the Macan is slower. And yes, this is one of the most important features to me. my charger ran 4.4-4.5 all day with trouble getting traction.
Then the turbo. I was very excited and thought I would be giggling and smiling, leaving there in this thing....
I drove it and came away with a similar no feeling of excitement and I was not impressed. the sound of the motor wasn't very pleasing and it just didn't have that feel of torque or power that I was expecting.
Needless to say, i have ruled out this vehicle and if I drove them both even before buying the SQ5, I would still have chosen what I did.
that being said, my need for speed still gets me and I am looking at a c63 Monday. There is no way it should be compared to the SQ5 as they are very different but I'm going to hopefully rule that out as well lol.
I left porsche with a better appreciation for the SQ5 and if I don't fall in love with the AMG, I will keep here and enjoy.
Just figured I'd share this in case anyone was thinking about the Macan as a competitor or alternative.
As I get ready to make my first Audi purchase in a number of years, my BMW lease ends in Q1....I've been having this same internal debate. I'm going to get a 2019 SQ5 and while I've driven the Porsche...it doesn't lease as well and the options really start to add up....I was hoping that the NEW Macan was going to be out sooner than later as I wanted to compare that. Have you read anything about the changes for 2019? The looks is much more sleek and I think the interior is much nicer than the current model and I like it better than the SQ5 since the dash screens are integrated better. My thought was...I'm going to get a 2019 SQ5 and then in 2020, Audi will likely change the interior to match the Porsche...at least from a functional standpoint. Thoughts?
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/macan/macan-models/
https://www.netcarshow.com/porsche/2019-macan/
Old 10-19-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TravelingTonyJ
My thought was...I'm going to get a 2019 SQ5 and then in 2020, Audi will likely change the interior to match the Porsche...at least from a functional standpoint. Thoughts?
It's just a guess, but I'd be surprised if the dash config changes much prior to a complete redesign. The new Porsche dash info setup is integrated similarly to that in the new A6/A8/Q8s, which are next gen compared to the current Q5/7. You can see which way Audi's going with it, but keep in mind that those dash/info configurations are part of completely new cars, not updates.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by redherring
It's just a guess, but I'd be surprised if the dash config changes much prior to a complete redesign. The new Porsche dash info setup is integrated similarly to that in the new A6/A8/Q8s, which are next gen compared to the current Q5/7. You can see which way Audi's going with it, but keep in mind that those dash/info configurations are part of completely new cars, not updates.
Thanks for that advice! I didn't consider that but makes perfect sense!!!