Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Factory tint question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Factory tint question

Just got a new SQ5 last Thursday. I was going to get a regular Q5 but I couldn’t stop thinking about the SQ5 once I drove it! Anyway, I wanted to get the front windows tinted to match the rear. The dealer tried to talk me into some tint package because “the tint on the car now is just for color it doesn’t block UV rays”. He wanted me to have the entire car re-tinted, including pano. Is the rest of the tint really as useless as he claims? I declined his $750 tint offer but it made me curious. Anyone know the data on this?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no proof, but I have been told by a few tint installers that the pano does NOT have UV protection (then again they make their money selling tint)...
I am going to have the pano roof covered in ceramic limo tint to cut out all light and help with the heat.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't know about the tint, but Audi's windshield is said to block 96% of UV, Audi"s side windows block up to 64 per cent of UVA. Sunroofs block about 90% of UV rays (general statement), This is just info picked up off the web. Do some Googling and then decide how important the extra protection is to you.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMN
Just got a new SQ5 last Thursday. I was going to get a regular Q5 but I couldn’t stop thinking about the SQ5 once I drove it! Anyway, I wanted to get the front windows tinted to match the rear. The dealer tried to talk me into some tint package because “the tint on the car now is just for color it doesn’t block UV rays”. He wanted me to have the entire car re-tinted, including pano. Is the rest of the tint really as useless as he claims? I declined his $750 tint offer but it made me curious. Anyone know the data on this?
i got the front done and if I can go back I would also do sunroof. Would not touch the factory tints.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
i got the front done and if I can go back I would also do sunroof. Would not touch the factory tints.
I agree. I got my front 2 done to match the rear and it looks really good. Also, the factory tint definitely block heat/UV, already had a few people ride back there with zero issues. I would consider having the pano tinted slightly more, but that really isn't needed.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Complete BS they absolute block UV/Heat. Another sales pitch trying to squeeze 750 out of you.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of mine in full sunlight. When I got them tinted I told the guy to match the back, I believe he said it was 15%

Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any good place should be able to bring out samples to show you how it matches your factory tint. I went with the 3M Color Stable 20% and it matches exactly.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had LLumar Pinnacle series here's a link to a viewer

Car Window Tint Simulator | LLumar
Old 08-08-2018, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone! I got the front two windows done at 15% which seems to match perfectly. I’m gonna live with the pano for a while and see. I live in the desert so blazing some and regular high temps of 115-120 aren’t uncommon, but luckily I’m garaged almost all day every day.

Quick Reply: Factory tint question