Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

fake exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
And what is that product in the bottle pictured?
They were first cleaned with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner then polished with Britemax Easy Cut and then finished with Britemax Final Shine.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
They were first cleaned with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner then polished with Britemax Easy Cut and then finished with Britemax Final Shine.
Wouldn't a sealant or a coating provide more lasting protection?
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with ya on the fake exhaust [SQ5 only]; especially since the other new S cars have retain them - so in design it looks ok but in execution it looks cheep. But as someone else mentioned it might not go past owners outside this forum. Even the design disaster Euro SQ7 has real dual tips: https://goo.gl/images/10XnqG

But, perhaps the RSQ5 [if it's real] will retain the oval shape of the other RS models like the new RS5.

Last edited by UHackenberg; 03-27-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think we need to remember that people inside this forum are real. It's too easy to dismiss anyone here as an enthusiast and therefore not take them in to account but that would be a mistake. Some use forums as research. I was strongly considering the SQ5 and Q5 until I realized they have fake exhausts. That was a deal breaker. It just looks cheap. Much less expensive cars have real exhausts so to not include them in a luxury SUV with sporting intentions is unconscionable. Audi still got a sale from me but it was an S4 with a nice quad exhaust.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The fake exhausts have me really torn, and its frustrating to see the other S models with real exhausts.. any video or article on the new sq5, the comment section is full of people complaining about them, yes they could be trolls, but I am not a troll and a person seriously in the market for a performance crossover around 60-65k. I waited patiently for the new SQ5 and everything on it is great, except the atrocity at the rear.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

2018 Volvo XC60 and no fake exhaust tips.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sass0
The fake exhausts have me really torn, and its frustrating to see the other S models with real exhausts.. any video or article on the new sq5, the comment section is full of people complaining about them, yes they could be trolls, but I am not a troll and a person seriously in the market for a performance crossover around 60-65k. I waited patiently for the new SQ5 and everything on it is great, except the atrocity at the rear.
Agreed; but I think the new XC60 may not have "fake" exhaust tips per se' but are integrated in the bumper - which is still better executed then what the SQ5 is offering: a blank out like on a fisher-price Power Wheel. Again I can see the non-SQ5 having fake tips, but for the SQ5 - while no other [S] product has them ? Not sure what's up but I smell Audi of Mexico. The devil is in the details Audi - you used to be real good as this.

If the RSQ5 is real, and that also has fake exhaust tips....

Last edited by UHackenberg; 03-27-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blitz118
2018 Volvo XC60 and no fake exhaust tips.

r they making a sport model to compete with the x3 m40i, sq5, glc 43 etc?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lawgone
I think we need to remember that people inside this forum are real. It's too easy to dismiss anyone here as an enthusiast and therefore not take them in to account but that would be a mistake. Some use forums as research. I was strongly considering the SQ5 and Q5 until I realized they have fake exhausts. That was a deal breaker. It just looks cheap. Much less expensive cars have real exhausts so to not include them in a luxury SUV with sporting intentions is unconscionable. Audi still got a sale from me but it was an S4 with a nice quad exhaust.
I agree. One of the reasons I bought the 2017 3.0T, along with the fact there is no 3.0T for 2018 and first manufacturing year in Mexico had me concerned.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sass0
Ok, so everyone is aware of the "fake" quad exhaust outlets, how much does this bug the prospective buyers on this forum? It is literally the only thing that doesn't have me completely sold on the car.. do the fake outlets pose a problem to you guys??
Saw an SQ5 up close today and the fake exhaust looks atrocious IMO.
Why they'd do such a thing to an _S_ car is beyond comprehension.

Hopefully Audi will get it right next model year, or with the facelift in a few years - Hoping they fix that oversized grill surround as well.

Quick Reply: fake exhaust tips