Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Front plate; To Mount or not to Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front plate; To Mount or not to Mount

Hello Washington State owners,

Took the from plate frame off of my new Matador Red SQ5 w/ black optics. Grill looks very nice. I am wondering in any Q5/SQ5 owners near Seattle are running without a front plate and if you are what experiences have you had with the Front Plate police (if any). The black grill will be ruined with a big white plate in the middle. I have read the fine is $75 in you are stopped. Any advice.

Habu
Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

While not in Washington, I live in MD and ran without front plate for almost 3 years before I got pulled on my last car. Got a verbal warning and just said screw it and put it on. In general, treat the officer with respect and it will be returned... Similar to most situations
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

You should check out sto-n-show. It’ll allow you to run with a plate or without, whenever you wish. If you search AudiWorld, there’s a discount code. I can’t remember what it is, but was something like “audiforum” or something similar.

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/
Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Oregon it's a definitely no-no. That written, I also drive a '59 Austin Healey with no front plate... and I seem to get away with it.

Another friend with a BMW did get pulled over for no front plate. The funny thing is that the police told him to put a plate on (in any form - like with a magnetic holder) and then take a photo of that to show to a judge... and the case was dismissed. He found a variety of ways to show a front plate (though I wasn't impressed with any of them).
Old 03-18-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Appreciate all the info on this question. Have decided to mount the plate and live with the consequences.

Happy spring to all,

habu
Old 03-19-2019, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This is simple. If state law requires the display of a front plate, then put it on.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

In New York, we have to have a front plate so I found a nice solution to display it only when parked in NYC. Otherwise I can flip it down and hide it.
I bought the bracket from Amazon for around $30 I believe.

Front plate; To Mount or not to Mount-qhqb3mp.jpg

Front plate; To Mount or not to Mount-dn929eq.jpg
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great, Brooklyn. Mind sharing the amazon link? Look like there's a bunch to choose from.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure thing! Here is a link to the one I purchased. It flips manually which is what I prefer.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't park in downtown Tacoma- they WILL ticket you (I've received two parking tickets). Other than that, I've been without a front plate for over a decade and only pulled over once for it... The reason he really pulled me over was because my laser shifter prevented him from getting my speed and he needed another excuse. Even then, he was nice and gave a simple warning.