Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Front Plate Filler

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Plate Filler

So, I've removed the front plate on my 2018 Q5, and ordered the two plastic pieces pictured below (~$100 for these pieces of crap), but for the life of me, I cannot get these things to snap in. Has anyone else successfully done this? I came across another thread discussing the issue, and the main recommendation was to take apart the front of the car . . . there's no way I can do that.

I start with pushing in the middle part of the piece, but what ends up happening is the side pieces just pop out. I even tried with a layer of gorilla glue and all that ended up happening was getting a messy front grill that I had to clean. The front grill seems to be not be sturdy enough for me to apply enough pressure to press the plastic pieces in.

Anyway, has anyone else done this? Please tell me there's another way than taking apart the car.

Thanks,
JB

Last edited by jschille; 03-25-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jschille
So, I've removed the front plate, and ordered the two plastic pieces pictured below (~$100 for these pieces of crap), but for the life of me, I cannot get these things to snap in. Has anyone else successfully done this? I came across another thread discussing the issue, and the main recommendation was to take apart the front of the car . . . there's no way I can do that.

I start with pushing in the middle part of the piece, but what ends up happening is the side pieces just pop out. I even tried with a layer of gorilla glue and all that ended up happening was getting a messy front grill that I had to clean. The front grill seems to be not be sturdy enough for me to apply enough pressure to press the plastic pieces in.

Anyway, has anyone else done this? Please tell me there's another way than taking apart the car.

Thanks,
JB
I couldn't get them to stay in either. Dealer did it when we took it in for the first service.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Q5 or SQ5? Mine (SQ5) snapped right in, literally all of 5 seconds top and bottom. My only advice is make sure they're not upside down. They're not "keyed" any specific way so it's possible that they could be flipped. I just made a mental note of which side I thought was up and followed through with that for both pieces. The Q5 trim pieces are very thin compared to the SQ5's trim so I don't know if the same trick applies there.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ah, should have clarified. Q5 here, and yes, I noticed the SQ5 pieces were a bit thicker. Probably easier to get some pressure behind those. The Q5 pieces are slim and honestly, junk. Seems like I may just wait for my service and let the dealer handle as well.