Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Front suspension issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension issue?

I've had my Q5 for about a month now and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same thing I have regarding a weird noise coming from the front suspension - for lack of a better term a knock or thump that's audible and you can feel in the steering wheel. Only seems to occur when you're either at full lock or close to it and switch from one direction to the other quickly or when hitting a pavement transition like a gutter. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the resolution from Audi?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When this happened to me, same symptoms, the car was a Volvo V70R with a loose front right wheel. The dealer tightened the nuts and that fixed the problem their technician had created during a rotation. Life-threatening oversight. Never returned to that dealer.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by griffinmill27516
When this happened to me, same symptoms, the car was a Volvo V70R with a loose front right wheel. The dealer tightened the nuts and that fixed the problem their technician had created during a rotation. Life-threatening oversight. Never returned to that dealer.
Hey Griffin, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that the problem is intermittent. Was your experience the same or did it happen consistently? Since it's not happening all the time I've been reluctant to take it into the dealer.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The sensation was intermittent - most obvious at low speeds and when turning sharply.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The sensation was intermittent - most obvious at low speeds and when turning sharply.
I can understand that happening after a tire replacement or rotation but I'm shocked that this could happen straight from the factory. Guess I'll need to look up the specs for torque on the wheel nuts and check it. If it's all good I know I'm going to have play the "we tested it and nothing is wrong" game with the dealer. Guess I should prepare myself for some frustration ahead of time.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do have the dealer diagnose the source of that palpable thump, Onthevirg, preferably with you along for the ride.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do have the dealer diagnose the source of that palpable thump, Onthevirg, preferably with you along for the ride.
If it only does it at or near full lock the noise could be caused by the full lock stopper bumping. For the sake of several steering components try to avoid hitting full lock.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my 2018 Q5 for a couple of weeks and may have a similar issue... maybe you guys can opine as to whether this is normal.

When I'm coming to a stop (i.e. braking), somewhere between 3 MPH or less, I feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal. This is my first Audi and first experience with Quattro. I'd say it happens (or I notice it) about every other stop.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by frogs9497
I've had my 2018 Q5 for a couple of weeks and may have a similar issue... maybe you guys can opine as to whether this is normal.

When I'm coming to a stop (i.e. braking), somewhere between 3 MPH or less, I feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal. This is my first Audi and first experience with Quattro. I'd say it happens (or I notice it) about every other stop.

Thoughts?
Hey Frogs, did you ever take it in to the dealer? If so, what did they tell you? I'm still trying to find repeatable conditions so that I can say "This is when this happens, explain it or fix it".
Old 08-09-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Onthevirg
Hey Frogs, did you ever take it in to the dealer? If so, what did they tell you? I'm still trying to find repeatable conditions so that I can say "This is when this happens, explain it or fix it".
I'm dropping it off at the dealer on Friday morning. I'll post later with an update.

I've decided to describe it to them as a subtle pulsing, similar to but much less intense than when the ABS engages, and with a duration of about 2-3 seconds.

Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Front suspension issue?