Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Google Earth is Back! For Free!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Earth is Back! For Free!

Didn't see this posted here - so if it was, forgive the oversight.

On Apple CarPlay, the new Google Maps is slick! You can go into settings and select satellite and get Google Earth. I realize it isn't exactly what was part of Audi's package, but it works for me! And it's free!

Check it out!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, Google Maps has satellite view, that should be common knowledge. It's kinda nice that it remembers whether you had the satellite view turned on in Car Play separate from the app on the phone itself. It's not all the free, though. Make sure you have a big enough data plan for your phone as it is pretty data hungry or you gonna pay for overage. I had it burn through about 1.5GB in a 7 hour road trip I did the other day. I'm currently in Europe with my new AMG doing European Delivery and I use a local prepaid SIM for data. I shockingly discovered that it burned through a large chunk of my prepaid data in two days! So, if you drive a lot, keep an eye on your data. I had to turn it off.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, Google Maps has satellite view, that should be common knowledge. It's kinda nice that it remembers whether you had the satellite view turned on in Car Play separate from the app on the phone itself. It's not all the free, though. Make sure you have a big enough data plan for your phone as it is pretty data hungry or you gonna pay for overage. I had it burn through about 1.5GB in a 7 hour road trip I did the other day. I'm currently in Europe with my new AMG doing European Delivery and I use a local prepaid SIM for data. I shockingly discovered that it burned through a large chunk of my prepaid data in two days! So, if you drive a lot, keep an eye on your data. I had to turn it off.
When traveling in Europe, I always get a SIM card for my phone... and swap it out. It usually costs $30 or so but one usually gets 30gb of data (which easily covers my trip). Most of those cards last for 30 days and include a local phone number. I love it that these temporary plans span nearly all of Europe (the last one I picked up in England and continued to use it is Greece). Included is about 250 minutes and unlimited texts (though not back to the States).
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Boink
When traveling in Europe, I always get a SIM card for my phone... and swap it out. It usually costs $30 or so but one usually gets 30gb of data (which easily covers my trip). Most of those cards last for 30 days and include a local phone number. I love it that these temporary plans span nearly all of Europe (the last one I picked up in England and continued to use it is Greece). Included is about 250 minutes and unlimited texts (though not back to the States).
Pretty much, but not sure where you got 30GB for that money. I pay a little less per 30 days, but it's a 3GB plan with unlimited text and phone calls. I was somewhat limited because I wanted an eSIM, so I can keep my main line active as well on my iPhone XS. The eSIMs are not that common yet. My options were limited to third-party providers like Truphone where with a few clicks you can add an eSIM plan through their app from anywhere, or get an eSIM at Deutsche Telekom, which is what I ended up doing.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The SIM cards that I buy over there (not here) are consistently 10-30gb (and the differential from 10-30 is a very small cost). My phone is an old Samsung S6 and maybe that's more exchangeable.
I've used Vodafone is the UK, Orange in France and Timm in Italy... and all allowed me to travel to other countries and use all that data for 30 days. I even used a recent Vodafone when I returned to the States and it worked!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boink
The SIM cards that I buy over there (not here) are consistently 10-30gb (and the differential from 10-30 is a very small cost). My phone is an old Samsung S6 and maybe that's more exchangeable.
I've used Vodafone is the UK, Orange in France and Timm in Italy... and all allowed me to travel to other countries and use all that data for 30 days. I even used a recent Vodafone when I returned to the States and it worked!
I will admit that I'm not very savvy when it comes to swapping SIM cards when traveling to Europe. However before leaving for a 2 week vacation in Tuscany, Italy earlier this spring I downloaded a offline Google map of Tuscany to my iPhone. I used the map for a week and didn't noticed any change in my data usage on my Verizon bill. I've done the same for the midwest region of the U.S.