Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Homelink losing programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Homelink losing programming

2018 SQ5 Prestige
I have not been able to find this issue for anyone else.
I program button #1 for my main garage door of my 3 doors.
In about a week the programming is gone for only the one door on #1 and I have to reprogram. This happens every week to week and a half. My first instinct is to have my dealer replace the Homelink buttons.
But first I switched buttons in the car to #2 for my main door. Same thing happens but now on #2. So it's not the Homelink buttons in the car as button # stays programmed on a different door.
Called Liftmaster and they said call Homelink. all three of my openers are relatively new 8550s.
Called Homelink and they told me the garage door openers can only hold so many things programmed. But I'm under that number of 7. They suggested I reset my garage door opener. I finally did that and had to reprogram the open and close settings and reprogram the other cars, a real pain.
Didn't solve the problem.
Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve C
2018 SQ5 Prestige
I have not been able to find this issue for anyone else.
I program button #1 for my main garage door of my 3 doors.
In about a week the programming is gone for only the one door on #1 and I have to reprogram. This happens every week to week and a half. My first instinct is to have my dealer replace the Homelink buttons.
But first I switched buttons in the car to #2 for my main door. Same thing happens but now on #2. So it's not the Homelink buttons in the car as button # stays programmed on a different door.
Called Liftmaster and they said call Homelink. all three of my openers are relatively new 8550s.
Called Homelink and they told me the garage door openers can only hold so many things programmed. But I'm under that number of 7. They suggested I reset my garage door opener. I finally did that and had to reprogram the open and close settings and reprogram the other cars, a real pain.
Didn't solve the problem.
Any suggestions?
I have the same issue with my Liftmaster, works for about a week and then gone. Had to revert to the separate transmitter until I find time to investigate. Have a few things together in my garage door setup - will be a pain to do a full reset. I'll post if I do this.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Are you sure it's forgetting your opener, or getting out of sync with the rolling codes?
Old 04-27-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's forgetting the opener. The light on the homelink buttons does not light.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Very strange. Never seen that...
Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A follow up. Went to a car wash today and turned off the parking system ("p" on lower center dash) as it will constantly go off. When I was home my homelink button stopped working. Had to reprogram.
I've read that the side sensor interferes with programming, I wounder if this is the cause of my issue.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Any updates on this? Having the exact same issue with our Q5 Prestige. Works for week or so and then stops working. And we are in/out of the garage a ton, maybe 5-6 round trips (so 10-12 open/close cycles) per day.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Customer states:•A door opener, programmed to HomeLink, stops working after a short period of time.
•Door opener is produced by Chamberlain Group (Chamberlain and Lift Master) and is equipped with MyQ, Security 2.0, or Security +.
Workshop findings: •When pressing the applicable HomeLink button, in the overhead console, the LED (Figure 1, A) rapidly flashes green.

Figure 1. HomeLink LED.

Technical Background

Improper synchronization between the vehicle and garage door motor.

Production Solution

Not applicable.

Service1.
Do not resync the handheld transmitter to the vehicle.
Note:

A HomeLink LED which is rapidly flashing green indicates that the HomeLink module has been correctly coded to the handheld transmitter and is transmitting a signal from the vehicle.
Sync the vehicle’s HomeLink to the door motor. •PDF versions of the owner’s manual, describing the sync process, are available from the manufacture’s webpage.
On the garage door motor briefly press the “Learn” button.

Note:

Do not hold the button as this may reset, or lockout the unit
In the vehicle, within 30 seconds of pressing the "Learn" button, on the overhead console briefly press the applicable HomeLink button 3 times.

Tip: Pause for one second between presses of the applicable HomeLink button.

Warranty

This TSB is informational only and not applicable to any Audi Warranty.

Additional Information

All parts and service references provided in this TSB (2052250) are subject to change and/or removal. . Always check with your Parts Department and/or ETKA for the latest information and parts bulletins. Please check the Repair Manual for fasteners, bolts, nuts, and screws that require replacement during the repair.

©2018 Audi of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well on all my other cars, I had to do that last step for it to work.... which was basically programmed the honelink to the handheld remote, THEN quickly program the home link to the actual learn button on the LiftMaster. Always worked the funny part is, that step wasn’t needed on my sq5 and it’s worked ever since about a month now.
i did notice that the first time I had the same problem you had, but then I re did it and followed the on MMI screen instructions and it worked great.
i don’t know if any of this helps or if you’ve tried all these methods...
of the only other ideas I have are to reset the car completely by disconnecting battery for a few minutes? Perhaps the car needs a reset?
i think I have the same or similar model Liftmaster and although not ideal, you could use the myq app to open. I find myself using that more as the range in unlimited and I press it long before I’m at the door so it’s open by the time I get there. The honelink range stinks. If your unit is newer, it will haven myq. Built in, if not, you can add it very easily with a gateway... just trying to give you solutions if you can’t get it fixed...
otherwise, you might be stuck with that visor clip button or get a small keychain one if it bothers you on visor?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, my wife’s GLC honelink doesn’t really work either... and i know the whole point is not to have the visor button , however it seems this technology is not perfect...

Quick Reply: Homelink losing programming