Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

How to route cables through firewall in 2018 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawski
Another thing I encourage you to get is an app called OBD eleven so you can somewhat turn off the auto start stop. Without it, every time you stop and then restart at a red light, your jammers and radar will reboot. To my knowledge no one has figured out how to completely turn it off, but you can get close. You have to essentially trick the car into thinking the AC is under load all the time so it doesn't turn off. Maybe your installer has a better idea. I wonder if a small capacitor on the power wire would work?
My Stinger VIP Radar and Laser protection system has never reset in mine when the start/stop crap kicks in. Others may not be as well designed.

The easy way to avoid it is to not push the brake pedal to the floor. If you just push it enough to not move forward it won't shut down.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dobslob
My Stinger VIP Radar and Laser protection system has never reset in mine when the start/stop crap kicks in. Others may not be as well designed.

The easy way to avoid it is to not push the brake pedal to the floor. If you just push it enough to not move forward it won't shut down.
Oh you run a Stinger? Where did you install the patch antenna and display? I'm still wondering where to put mine. Good to hear you're not having any issues with the stop/start!
Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

That's awesome to hear! I've been eyeballing the TMG jammer for a few months. The question is is whether I get the "budget" tmg or just do it right and go with alp. I wonder if it's how you have it installed vs the quality of the hardware?

I'm also on the fence about what I do for radar... I've been a V1 guy since high school and have been dreaming of r3 performance with arrows. As soon as the r7 gets announced, you hit us with with us certainty and can't help but feel radenso will have something up their sleeve in the next year or so.

Would you just go ahead an announce you're the new uniden guy so I can pre-order a r7!

Last edited by Chawski; 02-05-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's awesome to hear! I've been eyeballing the TMG jammer for a few months. The question is is whether I get the "budget" tmg or just do it right and go with alp. I wonder if it's how you have it installed vs the quality of the hardware?

I'm also on the fence about what I do for radar... I've been a V1 guy since high school and have been dreaming of r3 performance with arrows. As soon as the r7 gets announced, you hit us with with us certainty and can't help but feel radenso will have something up their sleeve in the next year or so.

Would you just go ahead an announce you're the new uniden guy so I can pre-order a r7!
haha, I'd stick with the ALP's. They do cost more, but they're more effective, have a much better track record, and you have a much better user experience in the cabin (unless you don't mind having a big CPU brick somewhere visible in your cabin).

The R7 is gonna be awesome. Uniden just got a new guy to replace their old one. I have zero interest in working for any manufacturer, haha.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any plans to document your new installs? Very interested in how you mount/run everything as well as head placement

Just saw your miata exit interview video. Holy crap you weren't kidding when you said you had some wires to run! Nice thing with the audi is the battery is in the cabin under the rear deck, so power will be nice and easy to access
Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Any plans to document your new installs? Very interested in how you mount/run everything as well as head placement

Just saw your miata exit interview video. Holy crap you weren't kidding when you said you had some wires to run! Nice thing with the audi is the battery is in the cabin under the rear deck, so power will be nice and easy to access
haha yeah, it was a lot of stuff... I don't plan on running that many dashcams simultaneously, but I do plan on installing even more RD's and LJ's. Here's my initial thoughts for the front:

For this install, I plan on heading to Portland in about two weeks to have an installer help me do it. I'll definitely be shooting videos to document the installation and share what a nice installer can do.

That's a good point about the battery in the rear. There's terminals in the engine bay as well. The tricky part is that all the fuses in the dash and next to the battery are always connected. I haven't found any ignition triggered ones so we're thinking about adding a relay in to trigger the always connected circuits for the different CM's I'm gonna install.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ignition triggered fuses are under the dead pedal, however they are affected by the auto start/stop. There's a plastic cap at the top and a torx screw under it. A relay will likely easier as you're gonna be pretty limited on space down there. For some reason the plastic housing around the fuses are really tall, making it somewhat of a pita to find fuse tap that will fully seat

I have my v1 wired in down there and it was a fairly straightforward install. One thing I ran into is the headliner is very tight against the glass. If you're running more than a wire or 2 (you are), you may need to drop the headliner in the front to pass all your wires. The absolute hardest part of my install was getting the power wire from the A pillar to near the rear view where I wanted the detector. A mirror tap probably would have been the better answer!

Last edited by Chawski; 02-06-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ignition triggered fuses are under the dead pedal, however they are affected by the auto start/stop. There's a plastic cap at the top and a torx screw under it. A relay will likely easier as you're gonna be pretty limited on space down there. For some reason the plastic housing around the fuses are really tall, making it somewhat of a pita to find fuse tap that will fully seat
That's super helpful to know! Thank you!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My Stinger VIP Radar and Laser protection system
Could you show me where you installed your system? I'm particularly interested in the cabin. Looking around, I'm not seeing any great locations to mount the controller/display. I'm curious where you put your patch antenna itself for the radar detector.

That's a great tip on how now to activate the start/stop feature. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vortex Radar
Could you show me where you installed your system? I'm particularly interested in the cabin. Looking around, I'm not seeing any great locations to mount the controller/display. I'm curious where you put your patch antenna itself for the radar detector.

That's a great tip on how now to activate the start/stop feature. Thank you!
Sorry I missed this. I was talking with Tom about your install just the other day.

The interior install was super quick as we had to get it to a trade show. The Strip is now stuck below the hazard switch and will go into the sliding cover over the cup holders. The View will be flushed into the pocket at the bottom of the center stack.

The HD Patch antenna is floating between the bumper cover and the bumper reinforcement at a 45 degree angle.

The HD antenna is here, right next to the laser fibers.

This is what the ring will look like when it's done.

This is where I temporarily stuck the Strip.

The Strip will go here next to the Helix Director. It will have a frosted acrylic ring around it that will glow with the LEDs.

Quick Reply: How to route cables through firewall in 2018 Q5