Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

How well does Audi Tire Monitoring system work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The virtual cockpit now has a way to get a list of the current warnings.
Do you happen to recall the details of how you get this list? I have the 2018 S5 SB and have had false tire pressure warnings, but do not recall being able to pull these up in the VC. Of course, I didn't know to look for it and the false alarms (and presumably the warnings) disappeared after starting the car on my next trip. I did try to find the answer to this in the manual, but have been unable to find it so far. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rausda27
2018 Premium Plus. It doesn't tell you which tire it is. Trust me.
In this post, the OP stated that in his 2018 Q5, the system did indicate which tire was low. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...story-2940597/
In my 2017 A4, the system also indicated which specific tire was low.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

2018 Premium Plus. It doesn't tell you which tire it is. Trust me.
I find that hard to believe. Do you have the VC and did you check the warnings tab for more details? Audi uses the same system across their fleet. It's a third-party software. Audi didn't actually develop this themselves. I took a new S3 on a road trip a few months ago and the rear left tire triggered a TPMS alert due to the elevation changes. It told me in the VC that it was the rear left tire. Same experience in my RS5 when I get the alert and other models I drove. I have to admit I never experienced a TPMS alert in a new Mexico built Q, so I guess it's possible they f'ed something up.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-25-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all 3 Audi's I have owned ('15 RS5. '15 SQ5, '18 SQ5) the TPMS warning has said the tire that was low. Just a couple weeks ago in my '18 SQ5, I picked up a nail in the right rear tire and the message definitely told me it was that tire. https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...itoring-system
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dereitz
Do you happen to recall the details of how you get this list? I have the 2018 S5 SB and have had false tire pressure warnings, but do not recall being able to pull these up in the VC. Of course, I didn't know to look for it and the false alarms (and presumably the warnings) disappeared after starting the car on my next trip. I did try to find the answer to this in the manual, but have been unable to find it so far. Thanks!
As far as I remember, once there is a warning a new tab becomes active and if you scroll through the tabs with the left/right buttons on the steering wheel, one tab will show the warnings. This is all from memory, though, so I could be wrong.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried going through all the tabs on the VC and didnt see squat. I guess I take a look harder next time I get a warning.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I tried going through all the tabs on the VC and didnt see squat. I guess I take a look harder next time I get a warning.
It should look like this. The warning triangle tab gets added and should be one of the tabs that you can cycle through. This is also an example of the message it displays. Albeit in German in this example, it says "Pressure loss rear left! Check all tires and store in MMI". The only time I can think of where you might not get a specific tire message is if there's a general TPMS error. Also, I've never actually experienced loss of pressure in multiple tires simultaneously, so I'm not sure what it says if there is more than one tire with pressure loss. At that point it might just say check all tires instead of listing all the tires with pressure loss. Key to the system working properly is to reset it every time you check and adjust your tire pressure. Should be at least once a month.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-25-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It should look like this. The warning triangle tab gets added and should be one of the tabs that you can cycle through. This is also an example of the message it displays. Albeit in German in this example, it says "Pressure loss rear left! Check all tires and store in MMI". The only time I can think of where you might not get a specific tire message is if there's a general TPMS error. Also, I've never actually experienced loss of pressure in multiple tires simultaneously, so I'm not sure what it says if there is more than one tire with pressure loss. At that point it might just say check all tires instead of listing all the tires with pressure loss. Key to the system working properly is to reset it every time you check and adjust your tire pressure. Should be at least once a month.

Thank you for the detailed response! Good to know if I ever get another warning.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,629 Posts

The Audi system bites, imo. Gives you no idea if "slow leak finally passing the point of air it up when you can" vs "flat as hell, get air in it now".
It came on during a 5 hour trip, still drove fine enough, figured it was a slow leak that was patched last week not holding up, come to find it was at almost half pressure when I got home.
And no, does not tell you which tire is problematic, though it could probably take a good guess. But no, you have to get out and measure all four tires to find which one or more might be low.
Those screenshots look more like an A6 or maybe a B9 platform, but it certainly says nothing that specific on a B8.

It's legally adequate, certainly. But it's a sham that a "luxury" brand that likes to promote it's technology is so substandard in the monitoring and notification of the most important component on a moving vehicle.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I confirmed my A6 did indicate which tire and it was fairly accurate that I managed to drive to a tire store safely with the nail. Regardless what system it is, if u really want to have peace of mind, get the runflats like BMW. Just deal with the cons coming with runflat. My previous 2008 X5 got few nasty nails but it typically still lasted hours. Now I just got the SQ5, wonder if the system will work just like A6. Pls share if u know

Quick Reply: How well does Audi Tire Monitoring system work?