Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

MA: Hissing sound during acceleration on brand new Q5 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rs013
Same issue for my 2022 Q5 PP. Please report back on what the dealer tech says after the ride along. Curious to hear the diagnosis before I make the 2hr drive to the dealer.
thanks!
yeah, will do. Headed there Tom am to hopefully get resolved. Does your car seem sluggish when you let off the accelerator and are coasting? Mine seems to slow quite rapidly which really is bothering me as well. I’m beginning to have buyers remorse for trading in my 2018 Q5 PP that I loved but was high mileage with a need for new binders.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Evs
Hi all,

I got a brand new Q5 2022 40TDI Quattro model.

There is a hissing sound every time I accelerate. Sometimes it sounds as if someone is blowing the air through a straw. It seems to come from turbo charger and happens in the range of around 2000rpms. It is very irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this on their brand new car?

thx

EvS
Is the hissing noise during "normal" acceleration or when you stand on it?

Old 08-25-2022, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
hammer down
Old 08-26-2022, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More so when I stand on it. It is still faintly audible during normal acceleration if you listen closely.
The following users liked this post:
SpecialK_ID (09-09-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sound is the least of my concerns, dealer did all sorts of tests today (compression etc.) found NOTHING wrong. Drove it back home and cannot believe how disappointed I was with the 22 compared to the 21 loaner car they gave me. Specifically, when you let off the accelerator gliding to a light, for example, the car decelerates like it has regenerative braking. Apparently they changed motors between yrs 21 & 22 for increased efficiency. Man, what a huge mistake getting rid of the 2018.... See what tomorrow holds.
Dealer rep who I have bought 5 cars from (terrific guy who does his job WELL) is doing all he can, SO hopefully we can get this resolved with a different vehicle. Time for a Bombay sapphire G & T
Old 08-28-2022, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer said the whooshing sound is completely normal as well as the irritating poor coasting due to hybrid braking. I have learned not to remove foot from the accelerator so as to keep a smooth ride. Oh well no biggie, we’ll adjust.
teto4sure (09-04-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 02:25 AM
Evs
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hissing sound in mine comes always at around 2000rpms and when the engine is warmed up (e.g. just out of the garage so for the initial 15mins it is not there)
Old 09-04-2022, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evs
Hi all,

I got a brand new Q5 2022 40TDI Quattro model.

There is a hissing sound every time I accelerate. Sometimes it sounds as if someone is blowing the air through a straw. It seems to come from turbo charger and happens in the range of around 2000rpms. It is very irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this on their brand new car?

thx

EvS
I just had my 2022 Q5 Premium Plus delivered last week and I hear the same noise. I've owned audi turbos as well as BMW turbos and first time hearing this. I'm waiting to see if I need to take it to the dealer or not.

Let me know what you find out, if you don't mind.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2022, 12:40 AM
Evs
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teto4sure
I just had my 2022 Q5 Premium Plus delivered last week and I hear the same noise. I've owned audi turbos as well as BMW turbos and first time hearing this. I'm waiting to see if I need to take it to the dealer or not.

Let me know what you find out, if you don't mind.

Thanks
Hi there, I gave up on Audi over this issue. According to them car is not reporting any error when diagnostics is done. Having said that, the noise is clearly there. Interestingly, it is more pronounced after engine gets warm, e.g. some 15mins into the drive and always when it is about to reach 2000rpm range.
As stated before, in the meantime, I placed an order for new BMW X3, awaiting delivery.
Very disappointing experience with both product and support, after having driven Audis since 20 years.
Hope you will have more luck! Let us know!
Samanthax32 (06-02-2023)
Old 09-09-2022, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, not surprising they didn't find anything. I haven't taken mine to the shop yet, but I'm sure I will have to find time to. Mine is still happening, so we shall see. Thanks for the update too.
Samanthax32 (06-02-2023)

Quick Reply: MA: Hissing sound during acceleration on brand new Q5 diesel