Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Michelin CrossClimate 2 265/40/21 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

Put them on our car in the spring. In heavy rain, they were flawless. The rest of the world pulled to the shoulder, these had no hint of hydroplaning. This is the first winter, so I'm super curious on how they pan out.

From the tread design standpoint (watched a couple videos on this):
- Tire to the ground isn't quite flat, it's convex to reduce the tire drag and increase MPG
- siping goes from tread all the way down to give winter traction until the tire is worn out (typically that siping for ice grip is only ~50%, and then the tires perform badly on ice)
- tread design allows water to pump out to prevent hyrdoplaning
- tread design allows for really good dry traction since you always have tire on the ground

Only downfall I've found is due to the tread pattern, they are a lot noisier than other tires. It's my wife's car, so this doesn't bother me that much.
The following users liked this post:
GeriatricSQ5Guy (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Put them on our car in the spring. In heavy rain, they were flawless. The rest of the world pulled to the shoulder, these had no hint of hydroplaning. This is the first winter, so I'm super curious on how they pan out.

From the tread design standpoint (watched a couple videos on this):
- Tire to the ground isn't quite flat, it's convex to reduce the tire drag and increase MPG
- siping goes from tread all the way down to give winter traction until the tire is worn out (typically that siping for ice grip is only ~50%, and then the tires perform badly on ice)
- tread design allows water to pump out to prevent hyrdoplaning
- tread design allows for really good dry traction since you always have tire on the ground

Only downfall I've found is due to the tread pattern, they are a lot noisier than other tires. It's my wife's car, so this doesn't bother me that much.
My plan was to install Cross Climates on my car in November, but the tread on the Latitude Sport summers is still really good, so I can't see tossing them, even though you need be be careful below 40. I have about 20,500 on my SQ now. I must not be driving hard enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by GeriatricSQ5Guy:
Unluky (10-28-2023), Wires (10-28-2023)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unluky
I decided to upsize to a 265 and I am glad I did. I like the look. Little extra wheel protection never hurts either. Only had them a day and my old tires were DONE\, so of course these feel amazing, but I'll nee some time to know for sure. They checked all my boxes. Sorry for the crap rainy pics - I had to pull it into my shed to get pics as it will be raining the next 5 days straight............

Anyway - if it helps anyone decide.

How have these tyres been, have you driven in the snow? How's the MPG been compared to your previous tyres? i was just about to buy the 255/40/R21.. please let me know.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

I put the same on our SQ5. Mileage is about the same as before, snow traction is very good. On glare ice, they don't perform as good as true snow tires, and are a bit "noisier" due to their tread pattern.

But all in all, I'd buy them again if their wear life is good.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dj_sss@hotmail.com
How have these tyres been, have you driven in the snow? How's the MPG been compared to your previous tyres? i was just about to buy the 255/40/R21.. please let me know.

Snow was excellent, rain has been excellent. I have not had any ice with them yet, but they drive good and ride good. I have not noticed the noise yet. If I get the kind of miles out of them I expect to - I would 100% buy them again at this point.

I can't speak to MPG - I drive like an idiot and don't buy cars based on MPG, so I don't track it well enough to speak to that. I didn't notice any significant difference, but it would take a lot for me to notice. LOL

One of my biggest turn off's to them was the tread pattern itself when I first saw them. But I almost never notice it with them on (always in dynamic and low), I have come to like it, and I shockingly have had several comments on how "cool" the tread pattern looks.

I'd buy the again and I'd buy the 265 again as well - they fit perfect to my taste.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I had Cross Climate 2 installed in January. No snow driving. We had a week in January that was all sleet, which resulted in a 5 inch layer of ice that lasted about a week. The car didn't leave my garage during that time - nothing will drive in that. I couldn't even stand up on my driveway.

The tires seem to cause a little rougher ride to me, but cornering seems to be better than the Latitude Sport 2 summer tires that I had. I've not fooled with the tire pressure - 36 Front, 33 Rear as the manual requires.

Gas mileage hasn't dropped. Still right at 30 mpg on a highway trip, 23+ for short, local trips. That's using Fuelly for calculations, but it seems to match the car computer exactly.
The following users liked this post:
Wires (04-27-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Every time I see the CC2 I think of Moon Patrol for those old enough to remember that game.
The following 2 users liked this post by atlanta A6:
GeriatricSQ5Guy (04-28-2024), RCPrato (04-29-2024)