Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

MMI ip - can't remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

My understanding is that it's becoming against the law in more and more US states as well. However, what would personally concern me much more is that idling an engine to warm it up is the worst way to do it. It's putting a lot of wear on the engine. The oil is not getting circulated quickly and the metals are not expanding at their intended rate, so there is excessive wear in the cylinders. Pretty much every expert advises against cold idling a modern engine if you care for it to last.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-25-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GAntibes
There are aftermarket remote start installers. Look at youtube and search for audi Q5 remote start. I saw at least two vendors. One might be in NY. You can find one to do aftermarket work if you are so inclined.
I'm wondering how much difference there might be between the 2017 and 2018 Q5's for getting this done?

I assume I'd need to either lose a key or use a system with a fob.

BTW, I'm in Cleveland - Would anyone know a really good installer in the area?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I think if you look at the laws they say that you cannot leave a car running WITH the key or fob in the car unattended. The law is there to prevent easy theft of a running car.

In the case of a remote start, the key or fob is not with the car, and even if someone were to break into the running car, it could not be moved without the key or fob in the car. That is why there are currently a lot of car manufacturers who offer this feature in the US where the car must be locked first and the key or fob has to be outside the car for remote start to activate.

With that said, it is my understanding that Audi has never offered a remote start on any of their cars, and it doesn't seem like they have any plans in the near future to implement it.
Unless it was changed in recent models, if you have Advanced Key and the car is started, it can be driven away with no key present. Once turned off however, it obviously will not restart without a key located inside the cabin. I doubt this would present a challenge for professional car thieves though once it arrived at their shop.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not certain if the Audi works the same as VW for remote starting, but with a VW when the engine is started remotely, it will shut off as soon as the door is opened. You then must restart the engine normally before you can drive off. I would imagine this is done to be in compliance with laws about unattended vehicles with the engine running.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Unless it was changed in recent models, if you have Advanced Key and the car is started, it can be driven away with no key present. Once turned off however, it obviously will not restart without a key located inside the cabin. I doubt this would present a challenge for professional car thieves though once it arrived at their shop.
This is true, and if you did it this way you would be violating the laws in some jurisdictions.

The remote start has the doors locked AND the car will not shift out of park and/or drive with the remote start active. On all of the OEM and aftermarket systems I have seen, you must first unlock the car and then get in and push a button or turn the key to actually "start" the car so it will shift out of park and let you drive away. I think this way the system complies with the laws since you cannot drive away without the key or fob.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As the leaves are turning, thoughts also turn to the remote start again. Has anyone done it yet? Any particular system that you've used? Any problems?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin Reuben
As the leaves are turning, thoughts also turn to the remote start again. Has anyone done it yet? Any particular system that you've used? Any problems?
I'm in Canada, and am still waiting on my Q5 but... the dealer has told me he could install a remote start, it's a Viper brand, at the dealership. It has the same 4 year warranty as Audi. I have to order an extra key for the installation. Haven't had any more details on if it'll affect anything once installed since I'm still a month or two away from getting my car.

ps. I noticed the vw has started putting remote start in some of their vehicles from factory. Maybe it'll come for Audi eventually too?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Certainly I can't be the only wussy one here who wants to get into a warm car this coming winter. I want to have a Viper installed, but don't want to be the first one that my local Viper dealer installs. No one out there?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Martin Reuben
Certainly I can't be the only wussy one here who wants to get into a warm car this coming winter. I want to have a Viper installed, but don't want to be the first one that my local Viper dealer installs. No one out there?
Ths problem is the can-bus manufacturers have to figure the schematics for your specific model, the Q5. The viper remote starter is added on after the can-bus is programmed for the specific model. Vw/ Audi have highly encrypted immobilizer chips in their keyfob. If they cannot copy the encrypted immobilizer with their copy system, chances are you will loose a key fob.. Fortin is the one I use. RF extenders can be added to increase the range over 1000 feet
Old 10-16-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In Germany, remote start was (and may still be) illegal. So they don’t have to dumb down cars for their homeland, they rather not have it fleetwide.

Quick Reply: MMI ip - can't remote start?