Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Need Drivers Seat raised!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Drivers Seat raised!!!

Hey all, I just recently purchased my first Audi EVER!!!! I purchased a 2018 Q5 with the standard package ( comfort seats ). I love the Audi so far, although I admit the seats do not feel as comfy to me as I would like, but I have got use to them. The biggest issue I have is that, for a short guy (long legs but short torso), the seat height ( at its highest ) is still not high enough. I did not really notice it when I did the test drive, but now that I have drove it for several months and had to park several times I notice it. I have reached out to some local high-end custom auto shops, but nobody seems interested in helping me out. Guess they feel like the job is too small and they would need to charge a premium to make it worth their while. Whatever the reason I have had little response from them. Do you guys have any advice on where or whom I should go to for help in getting the seat raised higher? I am guessing here, but I am thinking that I would need another 2 inches. My only real requirement besides, how much higher I want the seat to go, is that I want it to look professional and stock if possible.

thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dukie4lif
Hey all, I just recently purchased my first Audi EVER!!!! I purchased a 2018 Q5 with the standard package ( comfort seats ). I love the Audi so far, although I admit the seats do not feel as comfy to me as I would like, but I have got use to them. The biggest issue I have is that, for a short guy (long legs but short torso), the seat height ( at its highest ) is still not high enough. I did not really notice it when I did the test drive, but now that I have drove it for several months and had to park several times I notice it. I have reached out to some local high-end custom auto shops, but nobody seems interested in helping me out. Guess they feel like the job is too small and they would need to charge a premium to make it worth their while. Whatever the reason I have had little response from them. Do you guys have any advice on where or whom I should go to for help in getting the seat raised higher? I am guessing here, but I am thinking that I would need another 2 inches. My only real requirement besides, how much higher I want the seat to go, is that I want it to look professional and stock if possible.

thanks
I’m not trying to be offensive, but how short is short
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedMoreHP
I’m not trying to be offensive, but how short is short
I am 5'4
Old 05-10-2019, 01:13 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I would think maybe raising it 2 inches over max height might raise safety concerns either with airbag or seatbelt positions which might be another reason no shop is interested.
Otherwise it is a super custom job involving removing the seat and dismantling to engineer a new mechanism to raise it higher...then who take the responsibility if (god forbid) there is an accident and some safety system does not work properly or the frame breaks for whatever reason....even as unlikely as that is. Even as a DIYer I'm not even sure it is something I would want to tackle. I know it sucks but maybe just try a regular seat cushion to see if it helps.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dukie4lif

thanks
My wife is 5’3” and has the same problem. I think an inch would be enough. She uses a cushion that raises her no more than an inch. I am considering having a cushion modified to fit between the side bolsters and reupholstered to match the seats. I don’t care for the height of the bolsters, they could easily be about half as high.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 5' wife also uses a cushion.
And has trouble stepping up into the car.
18 Q5

Is the 2019 seat hieght any higher?
Is the car height any lower?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I doubt the seats changed height. If you want it lower then you'd need to get the air suspension, or put drop links to lower it down.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wife is 5' and hasn't reported any issues. But she's use to pick ups and Wranglers. 18 SQ5 PP.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I have noticed that you do seem to sit low in the SQ5 (or the door glass starts high) compared to my 3-series BMW. Might be less of the "seat is too low" and more of a "just the way it was made". Kind of like sitting in a new Camaro. You can basically rest your chin on the top of the door when the window is rolled down!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing not mentioned-why you want to sit higher besides being able too see over the dash. In my experience, you are a better driver if you sit high enough to see the nose of the vehicle. It gives you perspective of where the front end vs the road and objects. My wife can see over the dash easily but complained about the Audi being harder to drive and park. After scratching my head for a few days I decided to try an experiment. I really couldn’t get the Audi seat low enough to get my head at her level so tried it in my truck. I couldn’t believe how much harder it was to drive. It’s like losing depth perception & spatial perception makes driving more difficult in several ways. Added a cushion for my wife and now she likes the Audi.

Quick Reply: Need Drivers Seat raised!!!