New Audi Q5 or Used Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi Q5 or Used Q7?

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a brand new Audi Q5 but I have some doubts/questions first:

1. I have two kids and my wife is killing me that she has to be in the back for them - my second child is only 9 months old and needs more attention, so my question is: with two Isofix car chairs, is there any more room for a small adult ? - she's slim and tiny (163cm - I'm European, I don't know/understand your metric system :P), but still, on a long trip I seriously doubt she's going to make it - probably can get a new wife once arrived at destination . I know the Q7 is much bigger, but I really don't want a car so big for just 2-3 vacations/year... I'm driving it for the rest of the year, mostly in the city and with traffic these days, I would probably go insane. I told here the Q5 is the biggest SUV on Audi, but she's not buying it )

2. I currently own an old A4 B7 diesel - and even though I still love the car, it's a diesel, it's dated, it doesn't have any tech and most of all it's too small - her words entirely and some of mine. I would like to go with the TFSI 2.0 252 HP but I am afraid I will be disappointed with the lack of torque for the TFSI? Can someone clear this out for me? Is the 252HP superior to the 190HP ? I know there's also the 285HP 3.0 Diesel, but again, diesel? The SQ5 is out of my budget.

3. New Q5 or Used Q7? My heart is for the Q5, but for practicality reasons, would the Q7 be the right choice?

Thank you in advance. Looking forward for your comments.
Stef.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how much larger the second row is for your wife and two children. You can do that in a Q5 for short drives, depending the child seat widths. The Q7 is longer, but not how much wide it is. A few inches is not significant to me. Calls for a comparative rest drive.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for replying back. I actually want to go with the Q5, scheduled a test drive for this Saturday and I will also be seeing the Q7 - it's not a new car but it has some interesting options. I'm still a bit scared about going from a manual to a 7 speed dual clutch Stronic - after reading some of the reviews here with the jerkiness on low speed, I'm scared than ever. What happens if the car I will test drive goes okay but the one I will be ordering has the jerky issue?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe the front seats can affix a child seat. So one kid up front, wife and kid in back.

Fast forward to 9:37.

*edit: In terms of jerkiness.. mine has a faint rumble when coming to a stop. Normal for a DCT, and the test drive shouldn't be any different now versus later. Mine now has 8k on the clock and it's the same as before.

Last edited by ducktales; 03-19-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know about Front seat positioning but that's not an option,

I was wondering if that jerkiness is also felt in the TDI version - presuming that diesels already have a rattle in idle mode, when going to a full stop, it won't probably feel that jerkiness. Just curious about it.

The dealer also said he is going to receive 5 new Audi Q5 - hopefully there will be both Diesel and Petrol... I can just make a decision based on how they drive and will definitely go with the car seats to test out the rear space.

Thanks,
Stef
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We’ve had our Prestige Q5 almost a month and 2500 mile, and have not experienced any jerkiness.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by stefffff
I was wondering if that jerkiness is also felt in the TDI version - presuming that diesels already have a rattle in idle mode, when going to a full stop, it won't probably feel that jerkiness. Just curious about it.
Test drove both the TFSI and TDI, where the TDI did have a slight movement at idle there was no difference in the drive mode with the transmission.

Reference the width the Q7 is listed at 1968mm and the Q5 at 1893mm. That's a difference of a 75mm maximum advantage, note that that is only the overall width not interior room.

Last edited by Martigary; 03-19-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

That width sounds about right. The Q7 has a wider console (cup holders get moved to the side which makes the useful). I looked at both as well, and settled on the SQ5. I liked the idea of the extra length (about 16" / 45cm) in the rear, but found the Q5 is more nimble around town and easier to park. My wife still hangs on that we should have got it for the length, but we have yet to find a situation where the extra length is needed so far. Q5 does get a lot better mileage too.

We drove the Q7 (3.0), Q5 (2.0) and SQ5 (3.0) in that order. The 2.0 in the Q5 was quite amazing, and I don't think you will have any complaints (unless you are trying to compare it to your car). I liked the extra power/torque from the 3.0 and had room in the budget for the SQ5.

The complaint people give about "jerkiness" is the DCT is basically a clutch less manual, and doesn't feel like a slush box auto. It's no different than you leaving you car in 1st gear and driving it around (you get that same chug chug at low speeds). It's something you will only experience in 1st gear, and low speeds.