Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

New order options deleted due to chip shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2021 Q5e delivered last month does have the phone box. It’s more than just wireless charging, the box is supposed to connect with the cars antenna to enhance your cell signal. How much would the phone box cost if installed as an option? Way more than $250 I’m guessing. One thing about the phone box is that my iPhone 12 Pro comes off it quite hot.

They’re calling the 2nd key blade an “emergency key”. Not having a second fob is no trivial thing if more than one person drives the car as you can’t tie a second profile to it.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gabatta
My 2021 Q5e delivered last month does have the phone box. It’s more than just wireless charging, the box is supposed to connect with the cars antenna to enhance your cell signal. How much would the phone box cost if installed as an option? Way more than $250 I’m guessing. One thing about the phone box is that my iPhone 12 Pro comes off it quite hot.

They’re calling the 2nd key blade an “emergency key”. Not having a second fob is no trivial thing if more than one person drives the car as you can’t tie a second profile to it.
I don’t even see how you can call it an emergency key, if it can’t even start the car…
Old 09-06-2021, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

My cynical alter ego thinks that owners with only one fob are going to have a very long wait for a second one. Audi will prioritize continuing to sell vehicles and will have no incentive to back track for those owners they already have money from. Same with other missing features. The wait could even be as long as the typical length of ownership?
The following 2 users liked this post by Sandroad:
partzguy (10-01-2021), TJK (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 04:06 PM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I got an SQ5 prestige off the lot from another state in August. It was missing the tow hitch and Audi puddle lights, despite them being both being specifically included on the car’s sticker as port installed options. Selling dealer made arrangements for a local dealer to install them, but now totally getting blown off by the local Audi dealer. No answers to multiple emails. Will have to escalate to Audi corporate, which I expect to be barely concerned. Awful customer service for a brand new Audi premium buyer.
The following 2 users liked this post by TJK:
gnatuw (10-04-2021), partzguy (10-01-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Did you try to start the car with the key provided? I think the RFID for immobilizer is in there ?
Old 09-08-2021, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So yes this is normal but I know people who have gotten new cars from other brands with no issues so I am starting to wonder what's different here. I know someone who got a new Toyota built and delivered in a few weeks with nothing missing even with the chip shortage.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Swim
So yes this is normal but I know people who have gotten new cars from other brands with no issues so I am starting to wonder what's different here. I know someone who got a new Toyota built and delivered in a few weeks with nothing missing even with the chip shortage.
Yea, ok...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-...es-11629372702
Old 09-09-2021, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 21 Q5 Prestige was built in May, purchased in July. It's missing the 2nd key (no emergency key either), under-hood insulation, and individual tpms sensors (that I've noticed so far and seen mentioned on here). Not sure what's general cost-cutting vs actual pandemic shortage. But, it does have the wireless charger, basic puddle lights under the doors (not the beam rings, which I ordered separately later without issue), and the hands-free tailgate.

My salesperson stopped responding to my requests for an update on the key every couple weeks (he had told me at time of sale they had just lost it, not that it never came with one from Audi), but finally when I went to the manager, he confirmed cars are only coming with one key and mine is still just "pending with Audi". If it's truly known to be missing and coming at some point, I'm fine waiting. What's not good is skipping parts or features and hoping the buyer doesn't notice. Missing parts should come pre-filled on a We Owe form from the factory, assuming they care about their customer satisfaction and brand reputation (and their dealers).

On another note, anyone with one key having trouble getting that key to link to a memory seat position? I can set both positions on the door, but the key wont link to either, even after watching videos and reading instructions. I'm wondering if its screwed up by missing the 2nd key?
Old 09-09-2021, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by hirsch014
My 21 Q5 Prestige was built in May, purchased in July. It's missing the 2nd key (no emergency key either), under-hood insulation, and individual tpms sensors (that I've noticed so far and seen mentioned on here). Not sure what's general cost-cutting vs actual pandemic shortage. But, it does have the wireless charger, basic puddle lights under the doors (not the beam rings, which I ordered separately later without issue), and the hands-free tailgate.
2021 Q5 models did not have individual TPMS available. Individual TPMS was pretty much RS models only for 2020 and prior. It was slated to trickle down to the lower ranges for 2022 models but is being held back due to the chip shortage.

The only thing that is legitimately missing from your car is the 2nd key fob.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I’m working with dealers in DFW, on a MY22 Q5 prestige. All of the window stickers I’ve seen have the phone box deleted, as well as the moveable steering column. One dealer told me both are being deleted from MY22. Both are a $250 credit (so x2) on the window sticker. No mention of only receiving a single key, at this point.

Quick Reply: New order options deleted due to chip shortage?