Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

New Q5 Engine Dead on Arrival

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Q5 Engine Dead on Arrival

Back in the summer I agreed to buy a 2018 Q5 from a local dealership. I specifically wanted the Advanced Driver Assistance Package and HUD which I thought would mean a custom order. Fortunately, the dealership already had a vehicle with these features in their order pipeline so my expected wait time was only 3 months instead of 6. I was originally told it would arrive mid-November but that date came and went. I got a call today from the salesperson to let me know that the vehicle finally arrived (mid-December), but it had a "check engine" warning. After their techs did some tests they apparently determined that the engine now needs to be replaced. I was told that they have to order parts from Germany and it will be another month or so until the vehicle is ready to go.

My questions:
  • Is it common for new vehicles to leave the factory with such significant defects as a dead engine?
  • If you were in my situation would you accept a vehicle with a rebuilt/replaced engine, or is this a potential sign of a lemon and more problems to come?
  • Should I try to negotiate a better deal given the repeated delivery delays and now the defective engine?
My situation is further complicated by the fact that I am trading in a VW Golf TDI as part of the diesel-emissions settlement, and I have already had to reschedule my trade-in appointment once. The appointments are not easy to reschedule (involves a 25-day wait) so it has been a pretty big inconvenience all around.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was me, I would not accept the vehicle unless they made it VERY favorable for me. I mean like 20% off MSRP favorable and the lowest leasing rate possible. There's no way I'd accept a defective vehicle directly from the factory as new. In addition, if you're purchasing the vehicle with the plan on keeping it passed warranty, there's zero chance I'd accept it.

Also, I absolutely loved my TDI Golf, it's really too bad about that whole deal.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wishbone
If it was me, I would not accept the vehicle unless they made it VERY favorable for me. I mean like 20% off MSRP favorable and the lowest leasing rate possible. There's no way I'd accept a defective vehicle directly from the factory as new. In addition, if you're purchasing the vehicle with the plan on keeping it passed warranty, there's zero chance I'd accept it.

Also, I absolutely loved my TDI Golf, it's really too bad about that whole deal.
To add some additional info to the discussion, I was planning on paying cash for the vehicle and keeping it for the long term (i.e. beyond 4-year warranty).
Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

There are Q5's all over the place, even in Edmonton. I'd pass, or if you choose not to, they'd better offer a tremendous deal. > 25%
Old 12-13-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kakgungor
To add some additional info to the discussion, I was planning on paying cash for the vehicle and keeping it for the long term (i.e. beyond 4-year warranty).
Yeah find another vehicle, just go to another dealership if necessary. This isn't a rare vehicle.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finding one with ADAP and HUD has proven to be fairly difficult.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:11 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’d pass.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is rather unfortunate that a newly build Q5 would have a dead engine but such is life and things like this do happen. Having been a member of several Audi forums, I can safely say that this is a rare and isolated incident. It is quite unusual for it to leave the factory with such a defect. Once it leaves the factory, it needed to be driven for a short distance so it can be hauled on to a train and transported to the dock. It definitely didn't leave the factory inoperative.

Personally, I have no issues with Audi replacing the dead engine with a brand new unit (it will not be a rebuilt engine because the car is brand new) from the factory. Swapping it out is straight-forward and it is not a problem. I would expect some kind of good-will offer from Audi for the delivery delay such as additional warranty on the engine/powertrain and a loaner while your car is being repaired. Or, some freebies such as Audi Care, Extended Warranty, or accessories.

Do not push your luck too far though. A defective engine is covered under-warranty and it will be replaced under warranty at no expense to you.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some further detail on what the engine issue was: when it came off the truck, it was making some knocking sounds so the techs had to take a closer look. They found some metal shavings in the engine so at that point they deemed it necessary to be replaced.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pass on this one too. Especially since you plan to pay cash for the vehicle. If it were my $$$'s I'd want a different one even if it wasn't exactly 100% of what originally wanted.

Quick Reply: New Q5 Engine Dead on Arrival