Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Order 2018 Q5 or wait for 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order 2018 Q5 or wait for 2019?

At my dealership yesterday I was quoted a delivery date of February 2018 for a new Q5 order, which got me to wondering if by then the 2019 revision would be just around the corner.

I have a Golf TDI that I will be trading in but I have until September 2019 to file a claim, so I'm not in a huge rush.

Does anyone know when we might expect details about the 2019 model year to be released? There are a few things missing in the Q5 that I could see them adding in over the next few years, but overall I'm happy with the available options on the 2018. Just wondering if some of the first year bugs might be worked out a little better by waiting for a 2019. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kakgungor
At my dealership yesterday I was quoted a delivery date of February 2018 for a new Q5 order, which got me to wondering if by then the 2019 revision would be just around the corner.

I have a Golf TDI that I will be trading in but I have until September 2019 to file a claim, so I'm not in a huge rush.

Does anyone know when we might expect details about the 2019 model year to be released? There are a few things missing in the Q5 that I could see them adding in over the next few years, but overall I'm happy with the available options on the 2018. Just wondering if some of the first year bugs might be worked out a little better by waiting for a 2019. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
What are your thoughts on what will be added?
I suspect night vision might be added.

I was told that 2019 models may not be available for order until June of next year or later.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cakasky
What are your thoughts on what will be added?
I suspect night vision might be added.

I was told that 2019 models may not be available for order until June of next year or later.
A couple of features I can think of. Nothing major but the adaptive headlights would be a nice upgrade:
  • Adaptive headlights for curves
  • Additional views/customization for the virtual cockpit, similar to what the new VW Tiguan offers
  • Headlight cleaners
  • Heated windshield and/or wiper de-icer
  • Automatic folding rear seat headrests for better rear visibility
  • Larger centre console cubbies for smartphones (the iPhone 7 Plus doesn't fit in anything but the larger bin under the centre armrest)
  • Improved head-up display with driver assistance information such as blind-spot warnings
  • Power steering wheel tilt/telescope tied to memory settings
  • Easy entry/exit setting for seats/steering wheel
Waiting until June would be quite a while assuming delivery would be another few months after that. I wonder when they would announce specs/changes? December/January?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I guess the answer is pretty simple. If, like you said, no major upgrades are expected, then the question becomes, do you want a new car now or not? Because if you don't, then you may as well wait another year. And if you do, the car does plenty.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to say that the exclusion of the adaptive headlights/foglights was a big surprise to me (there is a thread about this I posted in as well). I think that is pretty much the only item that is still on my wish list and giving me a very small amount of hesitation to wait.

We are meeting with our salesman today though - he is driving the car to our condo to make sure it will fit in the garage spot. But we'll likely make a decision on Saturday. We are also going to test drive an X3 this weekend (which has the adaptive cornering lights, and touch screen/ vocal/ and HAND MOTION commands!?).
Old 08-31-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kakgungor
A couple of features I can think of. Nothing major but the adaptive headlights would be a nice upgrade:

Waiting until June would be quite a while assuming delivery would be another few months after that. I wonder when they would announce specs/changes? December/January?
Based on your list:
    - not coming back
  • Additional views/customization for the virtual cockpit, similar to what the new VW Tiguan offers
    - not until MIB3 (A8 is first), but even then customization would be limited
  • Headlight cleaners
    - not required in US/Canada markets, so not coming (cost savings)
    - optional in other markets, but forces Audi Phone Box, which isn't an option here (yet)
    - requires a major redesign, and if planned wouldn't debut until the next chassis revision
  • Larger centre console cubbies for smartphones (the iPhone 7 Plus doesn't fit in anything but the larger bin under the centre armrest)
    - nope, but wireless charging should be coming
  • Improved head-up display with driver assistance information such as blind-spot warnings
    - incremental improvements are always planned, but there is no plan to add additional warnings
    - optional in other markets, possible running change
    - can be enabled via coding, possible running change
Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps this might help. reference

Old 08-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vaneam2
Well I guess the answer is pretty simple. If, like you said, no major upgrades are expected, then the question becomes, do you want a new car now or not? Because if you don't, then you may as well wait another year. And if you do, the car does plenty.
I wish it was a question of "now or not" but it is more like "in six months or in 9-12 months" given the quoted lead time for a 2018 order.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Based on your list:
    - not coming back
    - not until MIB3 (A8 is first), but even then customization would be limited
  • Headlight cleaners
    - not required in US/Canada markets, so not coming (cost savings)
    - optional in other markets, but forces Audi Phone Box, which isn't an option here (yet)
    - requires a major redesign, and if planned wouldn't debut until the next chassis revision
    - nope, but wireless charging should be coming
    - incremental improvements are always planned, but there is no plan to add additional warnings
    - optional in other markets, possible running change
    - can be enabled via coding, possible running change
^ Great response to the list of items offered up by the OP. Most of your comments make a lot of sense to me. Re one item though.. note that my (Canadian market) 2018 Q5 Technik S line came with headlight washers from the factory, as well as heated windshield washer nozzles. As to the topic of adaptive headlights for curves, I understood that the LED headlights on latest Audi models have the ability to activate/de-activate individual LEDs to accomplish a pseudo adaptive aiming function in curves and are supplemented by a module for the all-weather and turning lights. Maybe I've got this confused with the available (Europe only?) "Matrix" LED headlights. Whatever the case, the LED headlights on my new Q5 are pretty impressive.
/R
Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Great response to the list of items offered up by the OP. Most of your comments make a lot of sense to me. Re one item though.. note that my (Canadian market) 2018 Q5 Technik S line came with headlight washers from the factory, as well as heated windshield washer nozzles. As to the topic of adaptive headlights for curves, I understood that the LED headlights on latest Audi models have the ability to activate/de-activate individual LEDs to accomplish a pseudo adaptive aiming function in curves and are supplemented by a module for the all-weather and turning lights. Maybe I've got this confused with the available (Europe only?) "Matrix" LED headlights. Whatever the case, the LED headlights on my new Q5 are pretty impressive.
/R
Thanks for clarifying. I am buying in Canada so hope those two features are included for me - don't see them listed anywhere in the marketing material online and in the Q5 I had for a 24 hour test drive (to test headlights) I didn't see anything on the wiper controls to trigger headlight washers. The trim on my loaner was only Progressiv though, so maybe it is included on Technik only? May I ask how you trigger the heated windshield washer nozzles and the headlight washers?

Quick Reply: Order 2018 Q5 or wait for 2019?