Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Ordering vs. waiting for Dealer to get stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default you convinced me.

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Audi is still honoring the Audi Club 6% on factory ordered cars.
All I want is to buy a Q5. I spent the last month playing screw around with all these dealers here in New England knowing they have no interest in me or my situation. Sellers market I've heard. I joined Audi Club and who ever gives me the best discount get my business. I'm ordering what I want, and ending this "request quote" on vehicles that sell yesterday fruitless journey that I've been on. The best part of this experience so far is seeing how little they care about you if they don't need your business. Noted, and I will move foreword with that mindset no matter how many people ask me about my job, or family or nonsense like that. Give me a piece of paper, I'll order what I want, and they can let me know when it arrived.

Last edited by gary135r; 11-29-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brutal market

The best current discount I’ve seen on the Q5 is 7% off MSRP, but that’s on a factory order for delivery in 4 to 6 months. But even when that discount, the lease programs are terrible. Check out the marketplace at Leasehackr for the best deal in your area.
The following users liked this post:
gary135r (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gary135r
All I want is to buy a Q5. I spent the last month playing screw around with all these dealers here in New England knowing they have no interest in me or my situation. Sellers market I've heard. I joined Audi Club and who ever gives me the best discount get my business. I'm ordering what I want, and ending this "request quote" on vehicles that sell yesterday fruitless journey that I've been on. The best part of this experience so far is seeing how little they care about you if they don't need your business. Noted, and I will move foreword with that mindset no matter how many people ask me about my job, or family or nonsense like that. Give me a piece of paper, I'll order what I want, and they can let me know when it arrived.
I understand your frustration and your pain on this. I have had a Q5e on order with a dealer in New England since the end of May-nothing happening. Placed an order with another New England dealership on November 10 which allegedly has an allocation available for Q5e's; still awaiting confirmation of this order which is approaching 3 weeks. This order may still prove be one that ultimately works; however the earliest delivery date for this build is March 2022.

I can tell you I pursued buying a Q5e in California and having it shipped to New England. I learned two things from this discussion: 1) The dealership asked $7500 above MSRP; 2) They would not sell to customers who did not live in California.

While it is all very disappointing and baffling to me for a number of reasons, it is what it is. My Audi brand loyalty does not (appear) to play any role in this- it is just business constraints including the global supply supply chain issues that are affecting everyone. So we are moving forward. It increasingly looks like we will purchase a plug in Hybrid SUV from another manufacturer that is scheduled to arrive in late December. Will likely cancel the order on the Q5e and wait on replacing our Q5 TDI in another year or two when the craziness that is going on in the current market will likely have subsided...at least somewhat. At that point, I will reassess the market place and see who has what available, how the technology has changed - ultimately who offers the best value proposition.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bigelow:
gary135r (12-06-2021), Wires (11-29-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gary135r
Most of the dealerships can't order you a car right now. Audi has not published any allocations for any model and it is expected that this will be the case until some time in January.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Last week, I ordered a Q5 Prestige without other options. Apparently, the dealer was able to work with another dealer who had one on order and switched it to me. My dealer offered me the vehicle at full MSRP (Costco discount accepted) and a reasonable - but not great - trade-in value on my current Q5 PP. Yesterday, I got the comm number and the VIN, and was told it was "in transit from the factory" with a current ETA of mid to late January. What does this mean? Any idea of when I can expect the vehicle to show up at the dealer (in New Jersey)? If it does, it looks like I'm far luckier than most others on this forum, which makes me wonder if I am really lucky or just getting some "smoke" from the dealer. Advice and comments, anyone?
Old 12-04-2021, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It may be on the boat that just left the MX port. I had a date of late December and it showed up before Thanksgiving.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How long does it take to get from the MX port to RI and then be released for transport to the dealer?
Old 12-05-2021, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by n1128q
Last week, I ordered a Q5 Prestige without other options. Apparently, the dealer was able to work with another dealer who had one on order and switched it to me. My dealer offered me the vehicle at full MSRP (Costco discount accepted) and a reasonable - but not great - trade-in value on my current Q5 PP. Yesterday, I got the comm number and the VIN, and was told it was "in transit from the factory" with a current ETA of mid to late January. What does this mean? Any idea of when I can expect the vehicle to show up at the dealer (in New Jersey)? If it does, it looks like I'm far luckier than most others on this forum, which makes me wonder if I am really lucky or just getting some "smoke" from the dealer. Advice and comments, anyone?
What is the comm number and does that give us access to location via the web? If so what is the link please

Last edited by Reggie; 12-05-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

COMM# is the order number. You should have it on the sheet the dealer provides. Either the dealer or Audi Chat can give you updates. They have access to the same system
Old 12-05-2021, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by n1128q
How long does it take to get from the MX port to RI and then be released for transport to the dealer?
Figure about a month from when the car shows up for sale on the dealer's website. So anytime now if the ship is on it's way with your car.
About a week to get through the port in RI. The car and paperwork travel separately to the dealer. The car gets there as much as a week sooner.
The dealer can prep the car before the paperwork arrives but can't sell it until it does.
The following users liked this post:
BIG RAY (12-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Ordering vs. waiting for Dealer to get stock?