Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Plastic Back on Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Plastic Back on Headrests

After months of ownership, I still have no clue why they make the front headrests with hard plastic on the back. Why not the same leather material? Can't be more than a few dollars difference. AFAIK, there's no Q5 option for a screen to be installed in the headrest. If there was an accident, this hard plastic is potentially close to someone's face, although I realize seat belts should prevent this. Plus hard plastic doesn't give the premium feel. Just does not make sense to me.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well did you drive one and look at what it offered before buying? I don't have my SQ5 anymore but some interior items could've been better quality like the dashboard and door panels. I knew what I was buying and didn't mind. Perhaps you should've gotten a GLC or X3 which have no plastic back on their headrests as seen in my car below
Old 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Well did you drive one and look at what it offered before buying? I don't have my SQ5 anymore but some interior items could've been better quality like the dashboard and door panels. I knew what I was buying and didn't mind. Perhaps you should've gotten a GLC or X3 which have no plastic back on their headrests as seen in my car below
Almost every car has its shortcomings including the x3. Yes I was aware of this plastic when purchasing but it's not a deal breaker and the SQ5 drove better than the GLC or X3 for my preferences (the m40i wasn't out yet so I can't speak to that). I was just curious as to why Audi used plastic here. I was hoping there might actually be a reason besides a few dollars cheaper - you never know. It seemed like an odd place to cut corners and (like the center console) made we ask, "What are they thinking?"
Old 09-05-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
After months of ownership, I still have no clue why they make the front headrests with hard plastic on the back. Why not the same leather material? Can't be more than a few dollars difference. AFAIK, there's no Q5 option for a screen to be installed in the headrest. If there was an accident, this hard plastic is potentially close to someone's face, although I realize seat belts should prevent this. Plus hard plastic doesn't give the premium feel. Just does not make sense to me.
i guess it’s all personal opinion. To me it’s more refined and looks premium vs all leather unit that to me looks cheap and easy made one pice design. I guess when people know more about design/engineering they know that multiple material types require separate manufacturing and assembly vs just foam stuffed in leather. Aging it’s all personal opinion mainly heavily influenced by manufacturers to make cheaper items look more expensive.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
If it isn't the guy who hangs out on an Audi forum posting daily about how awesome his X3 is.

We get it, you like the BMW. Have you heard of Bimmerpost?
Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

i guess it’s all personal opinion. To me it’s more refined and looks premium vs all leather unit that to me looks cheap and easy made one pice design. I guess when people know more about design/engineering they know that multiple material types require separate manufacturing and assembly vs just foam stuffed in leather. Aging it’s all personal opinion mainly heavily influenced by manufacturers to make cheaper items look more expensive.
Now that's a different perspective. Thanks - that's why I asked the question.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that's a different perspective. Thanks - that's why I asked the question.

If you want something “different” then the norm on this or many forums just PM me I got you
Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please remember that only the surfaces that touch your body are real leather, the rest is matching vinyl, basically soft plastic.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I have an A4, not a Q5, so this may not apply. My headrests have the hard plastic back that houses the mechanism for the headrest to extend and retract.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I have an A4, not a Q5, so this may not apply. My headrests have the hard plastic back that houses the mechanism for the headrest to extend and retract.
Yes, the ability to adjust the headrest on a horizontal plane makes it more comfortable. I'm sure it is a safety feature for the driver too!

Quick Reply: Plastic Back on Headrests