Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 PHEV Battery issues (2021)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 PHEV Battery issues (2021)

My Q5 has been fantastic for the last 2.5 years except one or two minor issues. But last month, it's battery performance have degraded significantly all of a sudden.

I live in London and the temperature has been in the range of 7deg to 13deg since last month. Dashboard used to show a range of approx 22 to 28 miles in the cold weather. In the milder weather, it used to show a range of 30 - 35 miles on the dashboard. Actually range was always less than what's shown on the dash.

But one day last month, I turned on the car, the range was about 25miles initially and within couple of seconds it dropped to 15 miles!!. This drop happens when I start the car first time for the day (I charge overnight to 95%). This sudden drop happened several times since then. Range will stay at about 15 miles after the drop.

I doubt this is related to the weather as the problem started to appear without much change in the outside temperature. I suspect either one or more cells are faulty or the batteries have degraded. Audi's original quoted range was ~30 miles, so loosing 50% performance in just 2.5 years doesnt sound right.

Please see 2 videos to get an idea of the problem (hmm, realised I cant upload videos :-( )

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone else had the same issues.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

The battery degrades over time. Especially if you give it a full charge every night. My owners manual says for every day driving, charge to 80%. Only charge to full when actually going long distances. There are many videos on YouTube talking about battery degradation quickly if you consistently charge to full. Hopefully, since it’s still under warranty and if it’s degraded, the dealer will take care of you.
The following users liked this post:
kevinbs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
The battery degrades over time. Especially if you give it a full charge every night. My owners manual says for every day driving, charge to 80%. Only charge to full when actually going long distances. There are many videos on YouTube talking about battery degradation quickly if you consistently charge to full. Hopefully, since it’s still under warranty and if it’s degraded, the dealer will take care of you.

Thanks for the response. Heard batteries come with 8 years warranty and the rest of the car 4 years.

But really shocked how fast it degraded. If it continues to degrade at this rate, batteries will be completely dead in 4 years.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kevinbs
Thanks for the response. Heard batteries come with 8 years warranty and the rest of the car 4 years.

But really shocked how fast it degraded. If it continues to degrade at this rate, batteries will be completely dead in 4 years.
What was the solution?
Old 03-21-2024, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What was the solution?
No solution yet.

Audi was initially reluctant to investigate/fix as there was no warning or error in the dashboard. Upon my insistence, they agreed to investigate and booked me in for a date in May.

Will keep you all posted how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
Elvisfan (03-21-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

The battery is warrantied for 8 years/100K miles.

My owners manual says for every day driving, charge to 80%. Only charge to full when actually going long distances. There are many videos on YouTube talking about battery degradation quickly if you consistently charge to full.
Yep, and that makes this vehicle much less useful as a PHEV hybrid. The electric range is fairly limited to begin with, and when you take environmental factors and degradation into account, and then limit to 80%; I'll be lucky if I can use electric to run a few errands.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gabatta
The battery is warrantied for 8 years/100K miles.

Yep, and that makes this vehicle much less useful as a PHEV hybrid. The electric range is fairly limited to begin with, and when you take environmental factors and degradation into account, and then limit to 80%; I'll be lucky if I can use electric to run a few errands.
Even when the range shows 0, it still runs like a hybrid.
Obviously a PHEV is not for everyone. Here is where doing your research makes sense. On my last take of gas, from January, 771 miles, I am averaging 90 mpg. The 717 miles before that, November, 112 mpg. When I’m in the Chicago area, the trips are longer. I only average about 75 mpg. If you already own one. You should have done more research. If you haven’t, wait for the MB GLCe. They are estimating 70 electric range.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Even when the range shows 0, it still runs like a hybrid.
Obviously a PHEV is not for everyone. Here is where doing your research makes sense. On my last take of gas, from January, 771 miles, I am averaging 90 mpg. The 717 miles before that, November, 112 mpg. When I’m in the Chicago area, the trips are longer. I only average about 75 mpg. If you already own one. You should have done more research. If you haven’t, wait for the MB GLCe. They are estimating 70 electric range.
This Q5 with original estimated range of 30miles to 35 miles has been very fantastic for me until the range suddenly drooped by 30%. I had to charge only once in 2 days and so far clocked 16,500 miles out of which 68% of (i.e. ~11k miles) have been using electric motor.

But this 30% drop in the range means the PHEV no longer makes any sense. Hoping audi to fix the batteries at the earliest, fingers crossed.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

No solution yet.

Audi was initially reluctant to investigate/fix as there was no warning or error in the dashboard. Upon my insistence, they agreed to investigate and booked me in for a date in May.

Will keep you all posted how it goes.
Sorry you have to wait so long. I did notice wind makes a big difference. I started a trip recently with 27 miles range. Drove straight into a head wind. It was down to 0 in 20 miles.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry you have to wait so long. I did notice wind makes a big difference. I started a trip recently with 27 miles range. Drove straight into a head wind. It was down to 0 in 20 miles.
wow, so many factors in play here.

Btw, what is the best way to share a video of my dashboard here? Uploading video directly to this thread is not permitted afaik.

Quick Reply: Q5 PHEV Battery issues (2021)