Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5e super cold temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, charging speed and range are significantly impacted by cold temps, and indeed well documented. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. And you're right, relying on public chargers in the dead of winter may not be the best plan!

My point is simply that in my personal experience driving a Tesla in below 0F temps, the car has never flinched. Nor has anyone else I know had an issue apart from reduced range. Suggesting that below 0F "not a single Tesla parked outside would even turn on until things warmed up a bit" does not match my cold-weather experience.
The following users liked this post:
Elvisfan (01-23-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Larsonaut
As an Audi and Tesla owner, I can tell you that this is not true in my experience.
My Tesla has never balked at driving in extreme cold, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having trouble with theirs.
Welcome to the site. Having your location listed helps put in context your posts about many things including extreme low temperatures you can encounter.
If you never heard of the issue then you are either not paying attention or live far from extreme cold or both. Or maybe only park in a garage when experiencing extreme cold.

Windchill also contributes to an electric vehicle’s ability to function (pulls all latent heat out of the vehicle). Last Winter (early February) in the Northeast/New England hill towns there was an episode of minus 20+ F with minus 50+ wind chill temps. Many frozen pipes. There were combustion engines that would not start but most did. Not a single electric only vehicle any brand parked outside overnight would function until things warmed up closer to zero F the next day. Fact.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Welcome to the site. Having your location listed helps put in context your posts about many things including extreme low temperatures you can encounter.
If you never heard of the issue then you are either not paying attention or live far from extreme cold or both. Or maybe only park in a garage when experiencing extreme cold.

Windchill also contributes to an electric vehicle’s ability to function (pulls all latent heat out of the vehicle). Last Winter (early February) in the Northeast/New England hill towns there was an episode of minus 20+ F with minus 50+ wind chill temps. Many frozen pipes. There were combustion engines that would not start but most did. Not a single electric only vehicle any brand parked outside overnight would function until things warmed up closer to zero F the next day. Fact.
Nice to meet you. As an owner of everything from Saabs, Volvos, Jeeps, BMWs, Audi, Chrysler, and Tesla, I've had the pleasure of contributing to and benefiting from information in a variety of forums, although this is my first time on Audiworld. I hope most users here don't accuse people who share conflicting information of not paying attention or making false comparisons.

My experience was in the same harsh New England cold that you noted. It's another data point for folks on the thread who may have questions about EV vs ICE. Hopefully helpful to them.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:03 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

So while no where near as harsh as the winter cold you all seem to be facing, I'm happy to say that my Q5e handled my 14F mornings last week with out to much trouble.

Plugged in and programmed to finish fully charging and pre-condition the car right before I leave. Got in to a nicely warmed interior and drove to work in EV mode no problem other than the expect loss in acceleration performance (under 40F EV power/performance drops by roughly half I think). Also coming back to the car in the low 20F range in a parking lot, pre-conditioning off battery alone seemed to work fine and drove home no issue.

Less performance, less range, but still worked as EV only in 14-20F temps. No where near the hard-freeze reported in the media happening in other area's, but solid cold for my area. (and the snow was beautiful!)