Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Reflection on Windshield from HUD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflection on Windshield from HUD

I've had my 2018 Q5 Prestige for several months now.
It annoys me that the Heads Up Display that is mounted on the dash reflects onto my windshield during the day when the sun hits it, which is most of the time.
The reflection sits right in the center of my line if sight.
This could have been avoided if the device were made of black plastic instead of the silver that they chose to use.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Any work around ideas?

Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried adjusting the positioning of the display on your windshield? If it projects at a slightly different angle it would reflect at a slightly different angle also.
I've never had this problem. I think the casing in my SQ is black, I'll have to double check.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen it myself and it's not the position it's the housing. I've only notice it once that really was bad but most of the time it's ok.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LovelyNancy
I've had my 2018 Q5 Prestige for several months now.
It annoys me that the Heads Up Display that is mounted on the dash reflects onto my windshield during the day when the sun hits it, which is most of the time.
The reflection sits right in the center of my line if sight.
This could have been avoided if the device were made of black plastic instead of the silver that they chose to use.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Any work around ideas?

some times with a long drive in to the sun i will place a microfiber towel i have for interior to cover the housing. i found myself not using it at all and now its being a PITA with the glare.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Potential Fix

Have you tried polarized sunglasses? Whenever I have had an issue from a dashboard reflecting off a windshield, a pair of polarized glasses usually does the trick.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RossG
Have you tried polarized sunglasses? Whenever I have had an issue from a dashboard reflecting off a windshield, a pair of polarized glasses usually does the trick.
and also makes any HUD invisible to see.
The following users liked this post:
Iain_B (10-07-2022)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Not completely. I found just enough light passes through - possibly due to slight tilting of my head. Found using the HUD with (Oakley) polarized sunglasses a decent solution for me.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Not completely. I found just enough light passes through - possibly due to slight tilting of my head. Found using the HUD with (Oakley) polarized sunglasses a decent solution for me.
maybe got to give it a try as Ray Ban glasses dont allow to view the HUD in my sitting position
Old 10-16-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
maybe got to give it a try as Ray Ban glasses dont allow to view the HUD in my sitting position
Won't make a difference. The same optical principles that cause glare on the windshield is what HUDs leverage in order to reflect an image. Polarized sunglasses are designed to filter out glare, which is light that is reflected in the same direction as the windshield surface. There's always a little bit of reflection perpendicular to the glare, because glass is not a 100% smooth, so depending on your seating position you may see a faint HUD image, but the majority of the reflection used by the HUDs is what polarized sunglasses are meant to filter out. There's no physical way around this. HUDs can't use a different kind of reflection. A HUD image is technically glare. Unfortunately, there are other things on the dash that can cause glare, such as metal bezels. Even black ones. My B&O speaker bezels are black and even those cause glare depending on the sun. My Ray Ban don't completely eliminate all the glare, for the same reason one might see a faint HUD image. Again, it's because the glass surface is not perfect. The glass surface is uneven at a microscopic level and that causes some light to be scattered and reflected vertically and that light passes through polarized sunglasses. All horizontal light is blocked, assuming you hold your head straight and your sunglasses sit straight on your nose. Tilting your head or sunglasses will allow some of the horizontal light to pass through.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

^ What he said I think satisfaction depends on how much you're using the HUD with sunglasses and how quickly or not very slight head tilting movements become natural. I lost my Oakley polarized glasses and bought non-polarized Serengettis. Didn't like the experience, just returned them and will go back to polarized.

Quick Reply: Reflection on Windshield from HUD