Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Roof top tent and load bar limit

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof top tent and load bar limit

One of the reasons I got this car was to take it on adventures. With that said I purchased the Yakima Skyrise 3 for some “next level” camping. https://www.yakima.com/skyrise-tent-medium

It attaches onto the OEM bars fine however I’m concerned for the load. The weight is distributed evenly because the base is hard plastic but the tent itself is about 100lbs and I’ll have to factor in 2 people + dog + sleeping gear.

There is some flex because the bars are just hollow aluminum. Has anyone ever reinforced the OEM bars? I’ve thought about inserting steel rods through the end caps for added safety.

Last edited by Psymon; 03-28-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Just putting it out there but the maximum permissible roof load is 165 lbs (75 kg) IAW page 370 of the owners manual.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I wonder if that is a driving or static limit.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm trying to see what my options I have by keeping the OEM setup but strengthening/reinforcing the hollow bars. Yakima bars have a steel core.

Looking at the setup of the tent, a portion of weight will also be supported by the ladder, however I'm not exactly sure what % of weight this takes off.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martigary
Just putting it out there but the maximum permissible roof load is 165 lbs (75 kg) IAW page 370 of the owners manual.
Which is the "dynamic" limit. The Subaru guys put rooftop tents on all the time and they have about the rating as the Audi's.

If your in it for the Science, this is a great article:

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...oof-top-tents/
Old 03-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
One of the reasons I got this car was to take it on adventures. With that said I purchased the Yakima Skyrise 3 for some “next level” camping. https://www.yakima.com/skyrise-tent-medium

It attaches onto the OEM bars fine however I’m concerned for the load. The weight is distributed evenly because the base is hard plastic but the tent itself is about 100lbs and I’ll have to factor in 2 people + dog + sleeping gear.

There is some flex because the bars are just hollow aluminum. Has anyone ever reinforced the OEM bars? I’ve thought about inserting steel rods through the end caps for added safety.

Awesome - love it! I just posted this but worth doing it again:

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...oof-top-tents/

I've toyed with the idea of a RTT as well. I think you'd best served getting (4) crossbars to support the weight a bit better. The last thing you want is that thing breaking and/or flexing to the point that it contacts your rig.

Is that your beemer?

**Edit - Oregon plates and I see it's a stock photo on the Yakima site.....

Last edited by MyAllrad; 03-29-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for providing that article! It was very insightful and confidence inspiring. His calculation examples were close to my specs too.

Can you clarify what you meant by adding another 2 crossbars? The base of the RTT only has 4 clamps, unless you meant the extra bars were just for added security incase the main bars failed.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
Thank you for providing that article! It was very insightful and confidence inspiring. His calculation examples were close to my specs too.

Can you clarify what you meant by adding another 2 crossbars? The base of the RTT only has 4 clamps, unless you meant the extra bars were just for added security incase the main bars failed.
My thought was adding (2) more bars in between the others to spread the load a bit more and make the system stiffer. Without seeing it up close, not even sure that is possible on the Yakima. Also depending how much (if it even does) flex when you guys are in it, it may help reduce that as well.

**On second look, I see the (4) feet the tent has, which look to be attached on the rail on the bottom of the tent. Wonder if you could attach more of those? Looks like you may have room for at least (1) more crossbar (2 more feet)....probably overkill though. I wouldn't worry about it - I think your setup will work just fine.

Last edited by MyAllrad; 03-29-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wish I had data to offer, but It seems to me that the dynamic load limit specified by Audi is mostly driven by the effects of CG on handling, not load limits of the vehicle's roof and supporting structure. I wonder what the derived requirements, if any, would be for crash-worthiness - as in a roll-over. Perhaps there are none. I tend to agree that logically the static load capacity of the roof and supporting structure should be sufficient to handle the tent and occupants. Another variable that I wonder about is the sunroof, and its tolerance to forces trying to bend it or stress it at a critical point. I probable added more questions than answers.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

haha any input and insight is appreciated. I'm also pretty sure the rails and supporting should be sufficient to hold the weight. My only concern (and worst case scenario) would be the bars failing sending the tent onto the glass sunroof. As long as I can avoid that I'll be able to sleep at night

Quick Reply: Roof top tent and load bar limit