Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Sales rep can't (or won't) give me order status?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sales rep can't (or won't) give me order status?

Looking for some thoughts on how to proceed with a non-communicative sales dealer.

In early March I placed an order for a 2019 Audi SQ5 through my local Audi dealer; the sales rep said typical delivery time is 10-12 weeks. A few weeks later I touched base with the sales rep asking for an update on the status. The rep said they didn't have a VIN yet, but should in a week or two. Meanwhile, after reading about paint protection film and visiting a local shop who specializes in application, I contacted my sales rep for an order update so I could schedule a slot with the film installer; still no update on order status.

Last week I again asked the sales rep for an order update, and the sales rep said he was having trouble locating the order in the system (?); he asked me to send him copies of my original order paperwork so he could forward that to his Audi rep. I texted the sales rep again on Tuesday for an update, got no reply, so on Wednesday I called the dealership and asked to speak to the general manager to get the order status.

The receptionist said the GM was not available, took my name and said the sales manager would call me. 24 hours later and no call.

Note that I do NOT have a commission number or a VIN at this point, so I'm wondering if they even placed the order (even thought the receptionist said I do have an order on the books).

This is NOT how I expected the "luxury car buying experience" would work. Why are these people so reluctant to share information about the order? I managed to negotiate a fairly good deal (about 11% off MSRP), have they now decided they can't afford to sell me a vehicle at the price specified in the contract?

Most importantly, what's the next step? Contact Audi of America?

FWIW, when I learned (after placing the order) about the "Audi Owner in Waiting" program and asked the sales rep to sign me up, he said he didn't know to do that, and would have his sales partner help him.
The following users liked this post:
Wagoner (10-10-2023)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just guesswork, but I'm betting on either a) your salesman doesn't know and is afraid to admit he doesn't know how to find out, or more likely b) they never placed the order. I can't see any valid reason they wouldn't tell you if they knew or could easily find out. There are a lot of incompetent salespeople working in dealerships of every brand and category, but a lot of good ones too. The challenge is finding them when you need them.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Ouch. I agree on the experience.
I'd definitely contact AOA. How far away is your dealer? I'd also be camping out there and demanding to know when the GM will be in the office. Explain to the highest level manager that you can talk to what the situation is. Not getting a callback from the GM based on the already poor service from the sales rep looks very bad. Do they really want you to post this experience on Yelp and Google reviews? These review sites were the first place I went before choosing a dealer. Because of the exact same level of service you are describing posted for my local dealer, I chose to drive an extra 2 hours to another one.

You can communicate this all respectfully (advised). But there is no reason you should be treated this way and they should know this in very direct language.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

To close the loop: I e-mailed the general manager last night (politely) expressing my dissatisfaction with the poor communication from the sales team. Shortly after the dealership opened this morning the GM replied to my e-mail, and quickly followed that up with a (very apologetic) telephone call, providing the order details. My SQ5 is on order, I have a commission number, and I am enrolled in the "Owner in Waiting" program (which may or may not actually result in my getting status updates via e-mail - we'll see). Thanks for the suggestions and support that were offered; I'm happy my new ride wasn't lost!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

if you give me the COMM # I can check it for you
Old 10-28-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anyone that might be willing to look up the status of my order? Comm# XH0509
Old 10-28-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Im shocked no one is concerned that this guy has waited 6 months on a 4 month order
Old 10-28-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyC
Is there anyone that might be willing to look up the status of my order? Comm# XH0509
Is this in the US?

When was the order placed?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Im shocked no one is concerned that this guy has waited 6 months on a 4 month order
Original post is from May....He ordered in March and it was delivered in July. (According to him 18 weeks)
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-here-2976563/
Old 10-28-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Canada and it was placed at the beginning of Oct. I was told I should have it by January, but in reading the posts that seems really unlikely.

Quick Reply: Sales rep can't (or won't) give me order status?