Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Service loaners...no availability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 04:44 AM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 202 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am also on the island. I have used Huntington for the last 18 years and am very happy.
thanks!
Old 01-26-2023, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

No loaners here in Texas either, except when my engine ate itself on the Q5, and they gave me an A4. I think it was just a car off the lot. For regular service though, nothing. Dealer says they’re hoping this year to have loaners again. In the meantime, my dealer uses a car service. Kind of like Lyft/Uber but membership based. They use VW SUV’s. It’s pretty flawless. They set it up and response is fast. Cars are spotless, drivers are good. Unlike Lyft/Uber the cars are owned and maintained by the company.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxr1200
No loaners here in Texas either, except when my engine ate itself on the Q5, and they gave me an A4. I think it was just a car off the lot. For regular service though, nothing. Dealer says they’re hoping this year to have loaners again. In the meantime, my dealer uses a car service. Kind of like Lyft/Uber but membership based. They use VW SUV’s. It’s pretty flawless. They set it up and response is fast. Cars are spotless, drivers are good. Unlike Lyft/Uber the cars are owned and maintained by the company.

Yep!!! I'm in Dallas and Audi dealer here told me MAY before I could get a loaner. Put me into Alto rideshare car to get me home I went ahead and let car go onto service queue.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

For my 70k service I had to schedule 3 months out for a loaner
just scheduled my 80k and had to schedule 6 weeks out for a loaner

i think due to the chip shortage and dealers selling every car the get they just don’t have the extra inventory to support all the loaners they need, also people are getting their cars longer adding to the problem
Old 01-26-2023, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B9Gee
Yep!!! I'm in Dallas and Audi dealer here told me MAY before I could get a loaner. Put me into Alto rideshare car to get me home I went ahead and let car go onto service queue.
Alto… couldn’t recall the name. They did a nice job with transport, but then you’re still without wheels. Wife doesn’t like driving my truck, so really inconvenient not to have a car. Hopefully next year when she hits 10k miles they have it squared away.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxr1200
Alto… couldn’t recall the name. They did a nice job with transport, but then you’re still without wheels. Wife doesn’t like driving my truck, so really inconvenient not to have a car. Hopefully next year when she hits 10k miles they have it squared away.
That is the problem with living in car dependent suburbia or cities where there are no real alternatives to cars, and one has to drive just to get a gallon of milk. This is gonna become a bigger and bigger problem moving forward. Both my wife and I now work from home and barely need to drive during the week. She never drove much before, as we always commuted by train and never lived far from work. We also live in a highly walkable area, so can pretty much do the daily errands on foot or bicycle. It's very liberating if you don't depend on a car.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by vlam168
My local dealer uses local rental company for loaner. I would not be surprise if this becomes the norm. I was in for a recall last week and just ended up getting lyft after I dropped the car off. They sent me a link for lyft pickup when the vehicle was ready.
My dealer has a shuttle service, which I used last week. The car they used was an Audi E-tron - very quiet and smooth running car. I think having dealer shuttle service is pretty common in my area.

Last week, I took my SQ5 in for the "hard brake pedal" repair, which is a relatively simple thing to do (vacuum hose replacement). I had an 8:00 a.m. appointment with the understanding that it would be ready by the end of the day. It wasn't. The service agent offered me a loaner at that time (so they must have had one available) but honestly, it was too much trouble to get the shuttle driver to come get me late in the day, get the loaner, and come home in rush hour traffic. So I just did without it overnight - didn't need access that evening anyway.

They have quite a few cars on the lot, but I don't know if they are new or used. The showroom had 4 or 5 new ones, so they must not be having too much problem getting vehicles.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That is the problem with living in car dependent suburbia or cities where there are no real alternatives to cars, and one has to drive just to get a gallon of milk. This is gonna become a bigger and bigger problem moving forward. Both my wife and I now work from home and barely need to drive during the week. She never drove much before, as we always commuted by train and never lived far from work. We also live in a highly walkable area, so can pretty much do the daily errands on foot or bicycle. It's very liberating if you don't depend on a car.
My town is large enough to have an Audi dealer (one of four in the state), but not large enough for train service, or really any useful bus service. So having a car is a necessity.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
My town is large enough to have an Audi dealer (one of four in the state), but not large enough for train service, or really any useful bus service. So having a car is a necessity.
Proofing my point and that's crazy actually. I just looked it up. Huntsville has a population of about 200,000. I'm from Switzerland originally. Zurich, the largest city has a population of 400,000, so only twice that of Huntsville and it has a major train station, trams, subways, buses you name it. Entire Switzerland has less than 9 million people, yet you can get pretty much anywhere by train. There's really no excuse for the state of public infrastructure in the USA.
The following users liked this post:
Mythdoc (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Why will it become a bigger and bigger problem moving forward?

I can see your perspective living in an urban environment in the Bay Area or even some of the East Coast cities with vast public transit systems. I did that for a time living in Boston when I still had hair. However, that lifestyle is not appealing to everyone. Also, many still don't work from home and have other obligations that require a vehicle. I'm a pilot so no working from home there, and while my wife doesn't work, she still has to handle my kid's transport to and from school. Point is, this on Audi and the dealer network. No reason they cant have some loaners like Lexus or BMW do in my area. Even some VW's if they wanted to keep cost down would be great. While under warranty they should always have a loaner for those catostrophic failures and then also be able to schedule a couple weeks out for the scheduled maintenance.

Quick Reply: Service loaners...no availability?