Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Setting charge level

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting charge level

I have reviewed the manual and spoke to the Service Manger today regarding charging the batteries to 80% for general battery health. He said I can change the setting from 100 to 80% on the MMI. I only see timers available as noted in the photo below. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the feedback. 2024 Q5, PHEV.

Old 03-29-2024, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimmer61
I have reviewed the manual and spoke to the Service Manger today regarding charging the batteries to 80% for general battery health. He said I can change the setting from 100 to 80% on the MMI. I only see timers available as noted in the photo below. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the feedback. 2024 Q5, PHEV.
I can't find any way to limit the charge level either, but I've fully charged my '21 Q5e every night for three years now and haven't noticed any decline in the life.

If it is that important to only charge the battery to 80%, why wouldn't they build that limit into the charge system in the first place?
Old 03-29-2024, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Yosh01
I can't find any way to limit the charge level either, but I've fully charged my '21 Q5e every night for three years now and haven't noticed any decline in the life. If it is that important to only charge the battery to 80%, why wouldn't they build that limit into the charge system in the first place?
Good to hear you are at 3 years and your battery is still solid after full charges. Anecdotally speaking, it appears others have had issues and the general consensus is to not go full charge every time. I have dealt with the service manager at my dealership several times since we bought the car 4 months ago and he appears to be a sharp guy (ex Tech) and he explicitly told me today that Audi does not recommend a full charge every time. Now, achieving that is easier said then done as we have both noted.

Side note: My wife and I spend 4 months per year traveling on our boat and living off my 1K Amp-Hr AGM battery bank that I charge by solar and a diesel generator. If charging cycles are not done properly, AGM batteries die an early life. Ask me how this unfortunately. I know enough to be dangerous about Audis Li batteries, so I am just asking questions at this point and poking around the net for technical information.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Good to hear you are at 3 years and your battery is still solid after full charges. Anecdotally speaking, it appears others have had issues and the general consensus is to not go full charge every time. I have dealt with the service manager at my dealership several times since we bought the car 4 months ago and he appears to be a sharp guy (ex Tech) and he explicitly told me today that Audi does not recommend a full charge every time. Now, achieving that is easier said then done as we have both noted.

Side note: My wife and I spend 4 months per year traveling on our boat and living off my 1K Amp-Hr AGM battery bank that I charge by solar and a diesel generator. If charging cycles are not done properly, AGM batteries die an early life. Ask me how this unfortunately. I know enough to be dangerous about Audis Li batteries, so I am just asking questions at this point and poking around the net for technical information.
Just figure out the timing. I’ve already stated how I do it.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Just figure out the timing. I’ve already stated how I do it.
The timing will vary depending on the state of charge upon plug in, but easy enough to figure out after messing around with it for awhile. If the formal position of Audi is that these batteries should be charged to 80%, then they should have such a set point on their system. And where may I ask as a forum newbie did you "state how you do it"?

Old 03-29-2024, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

The timing will vary depending on the state of charge upon plug in, but easy enough to figure out after messing around with it for awhile. If the formal position of Audi is that these batteries should be charged to 80%, then they should have such a set point on their system. And where may I ask as a forum newbie did you "state how you do it"?
I know how long it takes. I plug it in at 10pm and by 8:30 the next morning it’s at 85%. When I’m at a 240 outlet, I set a 3 hour timer. Very basic stuff. At 120 it’s about 7% an hour. So I just play it by ear.