Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Sigh "right rear light defective"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Sigh "right rear light defective"

On Saturday evening, I opened my garage door using the built in opener and slowly pulled in to the garage. Halfway in, I receive a warning notification on my dash stating "right rear light defective - see owners manual". I have checked the car, and it does not appear that any rear lights are malfunctioning. On Sunday, I started the car and the error had cleared. Coming home today, the exact same thing happened after opening the garage door and staring to pull in. I am at a loss as to how to track this down and have no idea if the garage has anything to do with it other than coincidental.

I've had a long running issue with the car displaying "right turn signal / brake light / rear light defective" which typically occurs when the rear gate is opened/closed with the engine running. I took the car to audi multiple times while under warranty and they could never replicate, despite me replicating for the service writer.

The error this weekend is slightly different wording but I do wonder if related?

Current concern

previous / on going concern when opening/closing tailgate with engine running
Old 07-12-2021, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

TSB
Old 07-12-2021, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, 4 rings. I pointed out the TSB to the dealer on my last in-warranty service back in November. They replaced something in the tail light but did not update software. I guess it would not hurt to call them back and tell them the problem is continuing. Perhaps they can make it right since it was reported several times during warranty.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

Not sure how Audi does it, but BMW does a "cold bulb check" when you first turn on the car. It doesn't fully light the bulb, just enough current to check that the bulbs aren't burnt out. Had an issue on my last BMW where the filament broke, and it would touch and light up, but then occasionally fail the check getting the dash warning.

With LED's, it's not a filament, but could be a failing light still.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:46 PM
@AT
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Not sure how Audi does it, but BMW does a "cold bulb check" when you first turn on the car.
VAG have been doing the same more than dozen years (In reality most of "common" features developed and supplies by other vendors like Hella, Bosch, Delphi, etc.to multiple brands). However, this technology going to history. New lighting clusters (headlights, taillights) have own control modules which can have additional logic and additional service functions.
The following users liked this post:
Wires (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

Since the TSB was updated after your last visit and it clearly is for a software update that was not done, take it back for that update and if your vehicle is out of warranty don’t let them charge you.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

My 2019 Q5 has had intermittent problems with the reverse lights. About every 3 months I get the dash warning that either left or right reverse light is not working. Often I could go back behind the car, tap the lens, and it would work again. On occasion, I removed the lens from the bumper and checked the bulb and socket to confirm everything is tight. That would usually get it going again for a while. Now the most recent time this happened, two weeks ago, I couldn't get the light to come on by tapping so I removed the lens and heard something loose inside like a tiny pebble. I'm OCD (LOL) so I turned the lens over and shook it until the bit fell out. Turns out it's a tiny piece of plastic that supports the reverse lamp metal connector that makes the connection with the bulb holder.

I will have to take it in and pray they replace it under warranty. The bulb holder should not break when simply checking bulbs especially if it's only 2 years old.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sandroad
Since the TSB was updated after your last visit and it clearly is for a software update that was not done, take it back for that update and if your vehicle is out of warranty don’t let them charge you.
Great catch regarding the updated TSB. I was not looking at the revision date!
It happened again just now as I pulled in the garage. This particular error seems to happen when the auto headlights kick on upon entering the garage. Hopefully a software update will handle this + the other similar error that seems tied to opening/closing the gate.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

It sounds to me like it is the same issue you had before, just triggering a different message. Hope is is a false alarm. Those tail lights are about $800.00 bucks at the dealer. I was lucky when I broke mine. I got on in mint condition on eBay for a few hundred dollars.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q5

Went to go see if I could look at the bulb housing per the tsb like a bunch of other people had problems with (my dealership is a bully and I wanted to come with some back up lol) after watching videos I was like surely that would take me 2 seconds to check but as soon as I opened the spot where I would be able to unscrew the unit I ran into a piece of bumper? maybe idk but has anyone seen this or suggest what I can do? I would really like to check it before my appt at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Sigh "right rear light defective"