Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Snow brush / defrost technique for the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Snow brush / defrost technique for the Q5?

Hi All - How is everyone in the snow belt removing snow and ice from their Q5. I have a brilliant black with ceramic coat on all the body and glass and am really not wanting to have to brush or scrap ice. Im very OCD about scratches and I am sure using a brush is going to scratch. I’m hoping the defrost will work well enough. Any experiences? (This is our first Audi)

also for worst case if I need to use a brush anyone have recommendations for soft brushes that won’t scratch?

thanks!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bmiletta
Hi All - How is everyone in the snow belt removing snow and ice from their Q5. I have a brilliant black with ceramic coat on all the body and glass and am really not wanting to have to brush or scrap ice. Im very OCD about scratches and I am sure using a brush is going to scratch. I’m hoping the defrost will work well enough. Any experiences? (This is our first Audi)

also for worst case if I need to use a brush anyone have recommendations for soft brushes that won’t scratch?

thanks!
We had quite the ice/snow storm here last week in Northern Ontario. I was very thankful for my remote starter installed on my Q5 and found the defrost to awesome! I was dreading the chipping away but the windshield was pretty well clear by the time I got out to it.

If the snow is light enough, I actually use my leaf blower to get the snow off if at home. For the snow brush... I have just a standard I believe Hopkins brand brush, my Q5 is is white so harder to see scratches but haven’t had any issues. Used the same type on my old vehicle which was a midnight blue and never had issues with scratches from the brush.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 AM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

best method for snow hands down = garage!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V0X
best method for snow hands down = garage!
dedinetly agree. We have the garage for overnight the issue for us is the wife works 14hr days and so th Q5 sits out in the storms. I’m hoping she can just let it run for 5 to 10 min and be good to go
Old 12-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kbcanada - What kind of remote starter did you install? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by Martin Reuben; 12-11-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Martin Reuben
Kbcanada - What kind of remote starter did you install? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Thanks!
It’s a two-way Viper starter model 7857V. I got it installed through my dealer and they send it out to have done. Has a 4-year warranty to match the car.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kbcanada
It’s a two-way Viper starter model 7857V. I got it installed through my dealer and they send it out to have done. Has a 4-year warranty to match the car.
Does it come with its own remote? how much you paid for it?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tosaid
Does it come with its own remote? how much you paid for it?
It has its own remote with lock/unlock/start/auxiliary. The auxiliary is programmed to my hatch. Although I’ve yet to try it, it can also monitor the battery and temperature and start the car periodically to keep the battery charged. The doors will only unlock with the remote starter remote if the car is started remotely.

It wasn’t a cheap system, around $1000 installed plus the price of a spare key that they pretty well just rip apart but totally worth it for me. That’s Canadian $$. There was a more expensive one, about an extra 400 that connected to an app on your phone if you wanted to control it from there.

Last edited by Kbcanada; 12-12-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: More information
Old 12-12-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

It has its own remote with lock/unlock/start/auxiliary. The auxiliary is programmed to my hatch. Although I’ve yet to try it, it can also monitor the battery and temperature and start the car periodically to keep the battery charged. The doors will only unlock with the remote starter remote if the car is started remotely.

It wasn’t a cheap system, around $1000 installed plus the price of a spare key that they pretty well just rip apart but totally worth it for me. That’s Canadian $$. There was a more expensive one, about an extra 400 that connected to an app on your phone if you wanted to control it from there.
Interesting. How much audi charges for a spare key?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer installed me an iDataStart (it looks like is a Canadian made) . All was 1050$ including the spare key.
So far so good , the only inconvenient is when I start the car from the remote start the keyless is deactivated and I have to unlock the car with the remote key , not just by grabbing the handle , but
I think is OK on cold winter mornings.

Quick Reply: Snow brush / defrost technique for the Q5?