Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts

To summarize my understanding -
When needing extra clearance for snow
  • If traction is not an issue and driving under 15mph (e.g. navigating my un-plowed road to get to the main plowed road) then Lift / Off Road gives the most clearance and Allroad is next.
  • If driving above 15 mph (e.g. paved roads), Allroad is the best mode.

SQ5 Ride height (with Air Suspension):
Dynamic - 6.4 in.
Comfort / Auto - 7 in
Allroad - 8.2" (without Air Suspension, this is the setting for comfort and auto)
Lift / Off Road - 9in - Note: when over 15 mph, the car automatically lowers back to 7"
Old 03-05-2024, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 Audi -Q5 Premium: Winter Fishtailing Back Issue

Hi All,

Similar to this winter driving thread. My 2020 Audi -Q5 Premium has not been performing well on even slightly icy/snowy conditions. I had all season tires on it early this winter and it was fishtailing on me in not-s0-horrible winter conditions doing anything around 25 mph or more and the steering wheel feedback has been considerable. I changed to new snow tires and they have helped, but i still get some serious fishtailing doing more than 30 mph. If i am on pure/fresh snow, not too much of an issue, but on anything ......and i mean anything with some ice or patchy...........the fishtailing and feedback continues to happen. I had a 2017 audi Q3 last season with no snow tires and the car drove great to be honest and I know this behvior i am seeing now isnt normal, as i have friends driving around in the same Breckenridge, CO terrain with similar sized or smaller cars and there is no issue at all..........espcially if they have winter tires. The Q5 is alligned and recently Audi and non-audi inspected for basic issues, so no apparent issues there. I am wondering if there is a configuration or something that would help with this issue. I have played around with off road/comfort/dynamic config settings and a few other configs, but nothing has been the remedy/solution. Audi Dealer didn't know what to make of it either so reaching out to this group
Old 03-05-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Get In your car and Drive east until you hit I 75 or I 95. then go south until you see this sign.
I did that in 2018 and have not had a problem with driving in snow since then.

The following 3 users liked this post by ribeye:
Elvisfan (03-07-2024), GeriatricSQ5Guy (03-05-2024), Tundraman (03-08-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 288 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMachineQ52020
Hi All,

Similar to this winter driving thread. My 2020 Audi -Q5 Premium has not been performing well on even slightly icy/snowy conditions. I had all season tires on it early this winter and it was fishtailing on me in not-s0-horrible winter conditions doing anything around 25 mph or more and the steering wheel feedback has been considerable. I changed to new snow tires and they have helped, but i still get some serious fishtailing doing more than 30 mph. If i am on pure/fresh snow, not too much of an issue, but on anything ......and i mean anything with some ice or patchy...........the fishtailing and feedback continues to happen. I had a 2017 audi Q3 last season with no snow tires and the car drove great to be honest and I know this behvior i am seeing now isnt normal, as i have friends driving around in the same Breckenridge, CO terrain with similar sized or smaller cars and there is no issue at all..........espcially if they have winter tires. The Q5 is alligned and recently Audi and non-audi inspected for basic issues, so no apparent issues there. I am wondering if there is a configuration or something that would help with this issue. I have played around with off road/comfort/dynamic config settings and a few other configs, but nothing has been the remedy/solution. Audi Dealer didn't know what to make of it either so reaching out to this group
Fishtailing might suggest you are on the throttle too much or providing too much steering input - slow and steady is the key with everything in winter conditions; keep things in balance as much as possible. Lots of practice with braking and turning while in an empty snow covered parking lot can help you understand what is happening with your vehicle. The Q5 is heavier than the Q3 so I would have thought you would find that much more planted. World of difference of course between all-season and winter tires in terms of improved driving performance as well in ice/snow conditions.
The following users liked this post:
lowjdml (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This past weekend SQ5 Michelin Pilot AS4, All ROAD, with ESD off, and downhill assist turned on. Going through 1-2feet of show the SQ5 handled it nicely. Yes it will tire spin when you stomp on it, but if you take it slow and accelerate slowly it will not spin.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4845.mov (11.99 MB, 19 views)
Old 03-07-2024, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

@GreenMachineQ52020 have you tried turning the Stability Control off while driving in the snow to see if there is a difference and how the car drives? It is one of the buttons under heat control that has car with squiggly lines.
It's a long shop but maybe stability control is not working properly.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, using the "Winter" mode on a vehicle is recommended since it optimizes the car's traction control and stability systems for these conditions. However, I'd check the vehicle's manual for specific recommendations. I also know that some people go to specialized driving schools that offer winter driving courses, that include handling slippery road conditions. I'm thinking about calling the texas driving school customer service (I learned to drive there) and asking whether they have schools in other states.

Last edited by Herut; 03-24-2024 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMachineQ52020
Hi All,

When you say "all season tires" which make/model? A lot of these vehicles come with full summer tires which have zero snow ice traction.