Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Some issues with 2024 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some issues with 2024 Q5

Recently picked up a '24 Q5 Komfort 40 and have run into a few issues. Just wondering if other owners have encountered them:
  1. Most annoying one by far is the engine auto-start. I had a '20 Q3 before the Q5 and the engine would turn itself off when you came to a complete stop. In the Q5, the engine will literally cut out as soon as you start braking before even coming to a full stop. So, it is constantly turning off and on which is driving me nuts. I know you can turn this off whenever you turn the car on but why should I lose out on the fuel savings just because the system isn't designed properly?
  2. I am using an iPhone with the wireless carplay and it will just randomly disconnect and then reconnect, sometimes repeatedly in a short span of time. This is an intermittent issue so I cannot really troubleshoot what's causing it.
  3. The blind spot detector will light up even when a car isn't even in the blindspot! We're talking like several car lengths behind and it's still lit up.
Those are the most noticeable issues to me. Wondering if these are common or if I just got a lemon.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1. I got one of these:
Amazon Amazon
This changes the default start/stop setting to always off and I can toggle it back on if we’re in stop and go traffic. It’s a much more relaxing drive. I believe this can be done thru OBD11 coding too but I do not have access to this tool so far.
2. Maybe reestablish the CarPlay link. Ours did the same for awhile but I seem to have resolved the issue through Apple settings.
3. I believe there’s a sensitivity setting that can be set by the user for the blind spot detector but can’t direct you as I’ve never had to do it. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.From the 2022 Q5 manual:

Doesn’t sound like a lemon, just a matter of adjusting settings to your preference.

Last edited by Greg2022q5; 02-05-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Except for CarPlay, everything seems to be working as designed. A lot of the new cars have MILD HYBRID systems now. Designed to save more fuel. Why have the engine running when you are coasting? I have not personally experienced that. I don’t know if there is a delay if you step on the gas as opposed to when the engine is still running. But it will save gas.
I did notice that the BS reacts much sooner than my other car. I guess it’s as designed. I like the larger lights.
As said, try reestablishing the CarPlay connection. Mine has worked flawlessly so far.
After checking the manual, there does not appear to be a sensitivity setting for side assist. Just brightness.

Last edited by Elvisfan; 02-05-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1. Start stop is by far the best in my Audi of any car I’ve driven recently with it, it does indeed stop the engine as it detects if your slowing down to presumably stop. I’ve not ever had an issue if I had to keep going it’s a very unobtrusive system in my opinion. My Tiguan was way less useful and much rougher overall. I love how my Q5 can park and literally keep my climate and car on for seemingly 20minutes and I can enjoy a coffee without needing to run the engine, I also love how it’s dynamic in that it will kick the engine back on if only for the time to I presume run the compressor maybe for air or something but then it’ll cut back off for another pretty long time before eventually coming back on I believe.

2. I would re pair CarPlay and make sure your iOS device is fully updated.

3. If your Blind spot is lit up someone is A. In it or B. Approaching at a rate that if you were to move over there would be a collision. It’s not annoying it’s a safety feature.
The following users liked this post:
montgomerie94 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With regards the stop/start, some people don't like it and disable it via one of the methods mentioned and that's fine of course.

I don't get this comment : "why should I lose out on the fuel savings just because the system isn't designed properly?". What are you suggesting? How can you save the fuel without it turning off?
Old 02-05-2024, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm, that's different - is that a new thing for 2024 or new models where it turns the engine off before you even come to a full stop? On my 2018, even if Start/Stop is ON, I can prevent the engine from turning off by NOT fully pressing the brake pedal. I have to put some good weight on the brake pedal to let the engine turn off.

This type of engine Start/Stop system has too much wear and tear on parts - it's NOT like a hybrid system like Toyota's or Honda's. They don't have starter motors. In a Toyota hybrid for example, the ratio of running the 2 electric motors is changed so that also the internal combustion engine starts turning due to the electric propulsion motors. There is no separate starter motor.

Less parts = less wear and tear. Our vehicles are not like that.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Again, a lot of cars now have what’s called a MILD HYBRID STSTEM. To save fuel they shut the ICE off when the car is coasting. Stop/start systems have been around for awhile now. While some people love them and some people hate them, I have not heard a lot of reports of these systems failing.
As for me, I started keeping it on when gas hit $5. Now I leave it on all the time. Except when pulling into the garage. It can turn the engine off 2 or 3 times. DIFFERENT CAR, NOT THE AUDI.
The following users liked this post:
Scotty (UK) (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My MY24 regularly coasts at high speed or in a 30 with a slight downhill etc with either the engine off or in neutral (display says D but revs are at idle). It turns off when it can see traffic in front (yes it does look) and when I'm slowing. If I stop in traffic and it's off, often the camera detects the car in front moving and starts up the engine before I've moved a foot.
Its clever and I've no issue with it ...except Audi's figures suggest it saves a really minimal amount of fuel. They say the stop/start, coasting and recuperation during braking "results in a fuel-efficiency improvement of approx. 0.3 liters per 100 kilometers". If that's all then I do wonder how much better it is than the older version of stop/start that wasn't a Mild Hybrid. The new starting process is smoother so that's definitely an improvement.

Last edited by Scotty (UK); 02-06-2024 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2022q5
1. I got one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09L82QVR9?...roduct_details This changes the default start/stop setting to always off and I can toggle it back on if we’re in stop and go traffic. It’s a much more relaxing drive. I believe this can be done thru OBD11 coding too but I do not have access to this tool so far.
2. Maybe reestablish the CarPlay link. Ours did the same for awhile but I seem to have resolved the issue through Apple settings.
3. I believe there’s a sensitivity setting that can be set by the user for the blind spot detector but can’t direct you as I’ve never had to do it. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.From the 2022 Q5 manual:

Doesn’t sound like a lemon, just a matter of adjusting settings to your preference.
Thanks for sharing the Amazon link. That's a much more elegant solution than simply taping the auto start button in the down position.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dshaf
Recently picked up a '24 Q5 Komfort 40 and have run into a few issues. Just wondering if other owners have encountered them:
  1. Most annoying one by far is the engine auto-start. I had a '20 Q3 before the Q5 and the engine would turn itself off when you came to a complete stop. In the Q5, the engine will literally cut out as soon as you start braking before even coming to a full stop. So, it is constantly turning off and on which is driving me nuts. I know you can turn this off whenever you turn the car on but why should I lose out on the fuel savings just because the system isn't designed properly?
  2. I am using an iPhone with the wireless carplay and it will just randomly disconnect and then reconnect, sometimes repeatedly in a short span of time. This is an intermittent issue so I cannot really troubleshoot what's causing it.
  3. The blind spot detector will light up even when a car isn't even in the blindspot! We're talking like several car lengths behind and it's still lit up.
Those are the most noticeable issues to me. Wondering if these are common or if I just got a lemon.
It's supposed to do that. In fact, if the car approaching you is going quite a bit faster than you are, it'll flash, telling you not only is the lane not clear, it's not safe to change lanes. It's one of the best features on the car.

Quick Reply: Some issues with 2024 Q5