Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Sport mode vs. "Drive Select Engine/Trans = "Dynamic"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynamic steering or not, the steering weight changes according to the drive mode. And it's definitely noticeable.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kbug
Dynamic steering or not, the steering weight changes according to the drive mode. And it's definitely noticeable.

Is this for q5 what’s the source? If it is Thanks for the info learn something today as I don’t own a q5 and the website from Audi shows that dynamic steering is required. Thank for explaining this

Old 08-22-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

Interesting, I was told that only units with dynamic steering change the steering input per drive select do you have a q5 user manual that stated differently no offense but based only on ur signature you don’t own a q5 or Sq5 or am I wrong?
That's correct. Personally, I don't own a Q5 or SQ5, but I spend a lot of time driving different Audis and they all work largley the same. Below is the table that describes the characteristics of each component based on the Drive Select mode. This is from the US Q5 user manual. Notice there are two lines for Steering and Dynamic Steering. The regular Steering changes from comfortable, to balanced to sporty based on the Drive Select mode. This refers the required steering effort in each mode. The Dynamic Steering changes from comfortable/indirect to balanced/direct to sporty/direct, so it adds ratio into the mix.

The following users liked this post:
error-id10t (10-09-2020)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's correct. Personally, I don't own a Q5 or SQ5, but I spend a lot of time driving different Audis and they all work largley the same. Below is the table that describes the characteristics of each component based on the Drive Select mode. This is from the US Q5 user manual. Notice there are two lines for Steering and Dynamic Steering. The regular Steering changes from comfortable, to balanced to sporty based on the Drive Select mode. This refers the required steering effort in each mode. The Dynamic Steering changes from comfortable/indirect to balanced/direct to sporty/direct, so it adds ratio into the mix.

thanks this is clear now
Old 08-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

Is this for q5 what’s the source? If it is Thanks for the info learn something today as I don’t own a q5 and the website from Audi shows that dynamic steering is required. Thank for explaining this

From the Q5/SQ5 manual.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kbug
From the Q5/SQ5 manual.
cool thanks
Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That doesn't look right. There was somebody else recently who claimed their transmission doesn't change to S when selecting Dynamic, but I believe that eventually turned out that the person was confused. I've yet to drive an Audi from a lowly A3 to the R8 where if you change to Dynamic the transmission doesn't automatically change to S. So if your Drive Select is currently in Comfort or Auto, the engine is running, transmission in D and now you select Dynamic the transmission should automatically change to S. If you then select Comfort or Auto again it should change back to D. However, if your Drive Select is currently Dynamic and the transmission in S and you turn off the engine and then turn it back on, Drive Select will still be in Dynamic, but the transmission now reverted back to D. This is due to regulations that require cars to start in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy.
I just checked again:

Transmission in D.
Pushed "drive select", chose "Dynamic" in the MMI
Transmission stayed in D

I have a super early Mk-II Q5 (build June 2017), with MMI version number 0918. Could there be a bug, one that is bad enough that they will upgrade my software?

Old 08-22-2018, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoop
I just checked again:

Transmission in D.
Transmission stayed in D

I have a super early Mk-II Q5 (build June 2017), with MMI version number 0918. Could there be a bug, one that is bad enough that they will upgrade my software?
I would think so. I just checked the owner's manual to see if they potentially changed something for the Q5, but there it is black on grey on page 127.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

for me the only thing it wont do is restart the engine in dynamic mode and trans in "S", if i restart the engine it will go to "D".
Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoop
I just checked again:

Transmission in D.
Transmission stayed in D

At the point where the transmission was in D mode, what Drive Select mode was the car in? If it was already in Dynamic, and you re-selected Dynamic in your second step, then it will not change to S mode. You need to have cycled out of Drive Select's Dynamic mode into another mode (and select that mode) then cycle back to Dynamic mode, and then the transmission mode will switch to S.

Of course, it is much easier just to use the transmission lever to move to S mode.

I assume you are aware that:
Current Audi models will start up in the last selected Drive Select mode (none of its German competitors do this).
Regardless of Drive Select mode at start up, the car will always start up in transmission D mode. This is to meet statutory certification requirements.

Perhaps have your car running, put it in Comfort mode, turn it off, start it up, and then move it from Comfort to Dynamic drive select mode and see if transmission mode switches from D to S. If it doesn't, you have a fault.

I think a software bug is highly unlikely, as it would affect every vehicle using that software version. I have never read of anyone else with this issue, Perhaps something could have become corrupted in the software, but you would expect more issues than this narrow one.

Quick Reply: Sport mode vs. "Drive Select Engine/Trans = "Dynamic"