Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 - Lowering Air Suspension Equipped

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Will the links Voide warranty on suspension or any other components?
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

Is there a problem? You think your last post talking to me added to the conversation, Why the attitude?
No one does that. If everybody did it, these threads would be a total mess, so please don't. To be fair, people do that on Facebook, but even there it is possible to 'turn on notifications' and it would be better if people did that.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the links and installed them. If I had gotten a good look at the stock ones, I would have saved $200 and bought a tube of epoxy and a few pieces of scrap metal and done a Rube Goldberg job. That being said, my second choice would have been the old style cheaper links. Anyone thinking that adjusting the links without removing them would hem pants while wearing them. It’s just not a simple task, not to mention you’re doing it blind so good luck having both sides even.

My biggest mistake was not reading the instructions carefully and shortening the rear links instead of lengthening them (seemed odd I could only shorten them about 6mm). Then there were those spring clips to lock the links on. Like threading a needle with your eyes closed. I hope they’re not too important because I lost 3 of them removing the rear links to do the job right. If they are important I’ll use some skinny brads and tape them in place. But the links seem to be pretty secure without them.

i haven’t measured but, given the front and rear links are different lengths, and the front (shorter links) get shortened, and the rear (longer links) get lengthened, I’m wondering if adjusting them, for what most people is to lower the car in dynamic, that in other modes the height won’t be as even front to back. I think I still have to adjust them to make it look balanced. Then maybe i’ll measure to see how much the height changes on each end. I didn’t measure stock, but it doesn’t appear as thought the height change in raised or off road modes is as much as in dynamic. I certainly wouldn’t be worried about losing much off road. If there is a difference maybe one could just put the car in ‘wheel change’ mode for maximum clearance (or can’t you drive with wheel change on).

​​​​​​​
Old 08-05-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jascooper

Got the links and installed them. If I had gotten a good look at the stock ones, I would have saved $200 and bought a tube of epoxy and a few pieces of scrap metal and done a Rube Goldberg job. That being said, my second choice would have been the old style cheaper links. Anyone thinking that adjusting the links without removing them would hem pants while wearing them. It’s just not a simple task, not to mention you’re doing it blind so good luck having both sides even.

My biggest mistake was not reading the instructions carefully and shortening the rear links instead of lengthening them (seemed odd I could only shorten them about 6mm). Then there were those spring clips to lock the links on. Like threading a needle with your eyes closed. I hope they’re not too important because I lost 3 of them removing the rear links to do the job right. If they are important I’ll use some skinny brads and tape them in place. But the links seem to be pretty secure without them.

i haven’t measured but, given the front and rear links are different lengths, and the front (shorter links) get shortened, and the rear (longer links) get lengthened, I’m wondering if adjusting them, for what most people is to lower the car in dynamic, that in other modes the height won’t be as even front to back. I think I still have to adjust them to make it look balanced. Then maybe i’ll measure to see how much the height changes on each end. I didn’t measure stock, but it doesn’t appear as thought the height change in raised or off road modes is as much as in dynamic. I certainly wouldn’t be worried about losing much off road. If there is a difference maybe one could just put the car in ‘wheel change’ mode for maximum clearance (or can’t you drive with wheel change on).

looks great !!!

few questions, have you purchased the ones from eBay can you share the link ? Do you have to lift the vehicle and take wheels off to install? Can you do one side at a time or have to lift it with a proper hoist?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Car at different modes. Dynamic, Comfort, Allroad, Off-road. You can see that in dynamic front looks slightly higher than rear. As the height goes up, the difference is magnified. I’m hoping that if I lower the front a bit more, that magnified offset will go away. Or as I said before, the car maybe programmed to raise equally front and back based on stock length links.

The links came directly from Airmatic (link to site is in this thread). Free shipping is included in price, and arrive quickly. Payment is via PayPal.

You dont have to remove the wheels. In fact you don’t even have to jack up the car. You put it at highest setting, and in wheel change mode.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome thanks
Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Couple of tips I found having to emove the front links for adjustment.

The barrel of the link is indented on one side identifying the reverse threaded side.

If you tape the clips partially inserted, it makes it easier than trying to find that tiny hole when link is attached.
If the clip is too far in, just squeeze the end on the ball and withdraw the clip until the end snaps into place.

The latest photo is with the link adjusted by screwing one side 360 degrees (probably about 1mm). Now the front may be a hair lower than the back, but it doesn’t look wrong like it did when the back was lower than the front.

It seems that mfr neglected to anodize the inside of one link. Not sure that it matters.

Last edited by jascooper; 08-06-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main, I'm on the VAG-COM wagon. Just bought on. Main goal was to lower my SQ5. We are are the second person to say it isn't possible. I've seen it done and was told from Ross-Tech that it would...... BUT if it doesn't, theres a few mods (automatic start and stop) that will need to be disabled along with seat belt chime and other crap. All in All, I will lower my SQ5 eventually. Please let me know how to lower our SQ5
Old 12-28-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Post before yours shows the parts required to lower SQ5. Links are from Airmatic. Price is $200 and arrive in a couple of days fedex from ordering. You don’t even have to remove the wheels or jack up car. Set it to ‘wheel change’ mode in MMI. No tools are required. Pop off the stock links and press on the replacements. Front (the shorter ones) lower the car by making the replacements shorter. Back lower rear by making links LONGER. I didn’t read instruction and kept trying to shorten them.

When end you see them you might think you could just alter the stock links with a little effort, a couple of scrap parts and some epoxy. Don’t know how much stock links are, but they’re just molded plastic with pressure fit ball sockets at each end. No moving parts. But buying the Evolution links lets you keep the stock links intact if you sell car or want to switch back. You can also play with varied heights. Settings all change proportionally to link length. So set them so car is as low as you’d want in ‘dynamic’ height. Comfort, all road, and off road all are somewhat lower. But nothing you’d complain about if you need more height to get through snow or like the SUV look for some reason.

https://www.airmatic-lowering-links....t-our-company/
Old 01-26-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my 2018 lowered at Pacific German... couldn't be happier with the results. Ride quality is the same as stock- no problems, no issues and looks great. I haven't heard of too many other shops offering this, but if you're so cal based and considering lowering I recommend Pacific German. If was someone wanting to retain full lift in off road and just lower the dynamic setting... I don't believe that there is any solution that will do that.

In addition to the links, I did spacers on the stock wheels- 10mm front and 12mm back.

Quick Reply: SQ5 - Lowering Air Suspension Equipped