Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Sorry to hear the news AR, but as said prior, I'm not surprised. I think your Audi Dealer owes you an extended engine warranty. AOA should assist here if the dealership balks.
I reached out to AoA and they essentially said is not their problem, go away. If the dealer doesn't fix this appropriately I'll have to give my attorney a call. It was bad enough when they adamantly denied using the wrong oil when I kindly asked why it showed 5W40 instead of 0W20. I can't imagine what driving longer (the full 10,000 miles) would have done to my engine . I'm more concerned about the high metal content showing up so early .
Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For perspective I found this on the forum from a members Q5 3.0T and another 3.0T from an older SQ5 Metal content is much lower overall, the same goes for everything else. While this is an entirely different engine, I can't imagine how mine can be viewed as good
Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I reached out to AoA and they essentially said is not their problem, go away. If the dealer doesn't fix this appropriately I'll have to give my attorney a call. It was bad enough when they adamantly denied using the wrong oil when I kindly asked why it showed 5W40 instead of 0W20. I can't imagine what driving longer (the full 10,000 miles) would have done to my engine . I'm more concerned about the high metal content showing up so early .
Agree, that's a good move. The issue in any negligence claim however is the fact you'll have to show you've been harmed, ie, the car has been adversely damaged. That will be hard to prove until something in fact happens. I would have thought the dealership would have owned up to their error and tried to make things right by you. Sorry to hear otherwise.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's the UOA's from my 370Z. First one on 6-11 was the Nissan Ester. At that time I switched to Castrol Edge with Ti (gold bottle) for two OCI. You can see the Ti pop up to 42ppm. Then I switched to Pennzoil Ultra the rest of the time. Ti drops back to negligible. As I understand it, the Ti functions in a similar way to Moly or Boron. It doesn't deplete with use. Castrol advertises this VW 508/509 5W20 to have Ti just like the rest of the gold bottle Edge line. BTW assuming you didn't hotrod your car, the fact that you live in Texas makes me not worry so much about the run of 40 wt. It probably didn't do anything. In fact I wish I could run a heavier oil. VAG made it clear when the partnered with Castrol for this new oil it was all about the fuel efficiency, not reliability. And I'm fully on board with how good oils are today, even the 20 wts., but with a change like this, you wonder if there may be some surprises for Audi engineers down the road. Like when GM raised the viscosity spec on some of their Duratec engines that had cam chain failures.

Last edited by augerpro; 01-19-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Yes, there's only one approved oil Audi is supposed to use and it's Castrol Professional 0W20 VW 508/509 spec. The lack of some additives is still strange when the oil natively has them. Particles don't disappear after all
Yes, I just wanted to clarify that the factory fill for all Audi models is Castrol. The B-cycle motors get 0w20, and the other motors get 0w30. The 508 spec is mostly for efficiency and emissions.

And as for the old 3.0T compared to the new 3.0T, they are completely different and the only thing that is carryover is a few bolts. The new EA839 is fully aluminum and has cast graphite iron cylinder liners, so you will get different metal readings.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
Yes, I just wanted to clarify that the factory fill for all Audi models is Castrol... and the other motors get 0w30.
Castrol yes, but OW30 is not exactly true. Please refer to this thread which breaks down Audi's recommends oils and viscosity types.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...e-diy-2923997/
Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Castrol yes, but OW30 is not exactly true. Please refer to this thread which breaks down Audi's recommends oils and viscosity types.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...e-diy-2923997/
Hello - what I have stated about the factory fill oils and viscocities is correct.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
Hello - what I have stated about the factory fill oils and viscocities is correct.
2018 Q5 Factory fill is Castrol EDGE Professional 5W40. If this means you are correct, then sure, you are correct.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2018 Q5 Factory fill is Castrol EDGE Professional 5W40. If this means you are correct, then sure, you are correct.
the Q5 uses different oil, so I'm not sure how they even wrote up a ticket knowing things were wrong when servicing my SQ5.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting finds here regarding the different oil type between the Q5 and SQ5.

I'm going to be vigilant on ensuring the dealership is on top of this when I take it in.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Oil Analysis