Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 Transmission Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Transmission Behavior

Good afternoon everyone. As I've been driving my SQ5 around, I have noticed that when I'm driving in auto or comfort, there is a very noticeable stall in acceleration at times, before it picks up and continues. It does not appear to be present if I give it a good amount of throttle or if I am in S. I have also noticed that the transmission does not seem to want to downshift as early as it should. It will hold its gear even when it is as low as 1000 RPM, and the engine begins to lug because of it. I'm wondering if this is a programming issue or a physical one. Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been looking at buying a new Q5 (not SQ5), but I've read several reports that the Q5 has an acceleration lag problem. I don't know if your issue with the SQ5 could be similar. But here are some excerpts of reports online that mention the Q5 problem:

CARS.COM 2018 Audi Q5 review (excerpt dealing with acceleration lag)
By Aaron Bragman
June 1, 2017
“On a couple of occasions, however, it did strangely cut power to the engine under some specific circumstances — nothing I could replicate reliably, but an odd sign of something not quite right with either the engine control or the transmission programming.
The Q5 also exhibited some unusual behavior when coming to a stop. The transmission didn't seem to disengage properly, causing the engine to stutter and feel as if it were about to shut off as part of the SUV's automatic stop-start function — even though that function was deactivated (which can be accomplished by pushing a button on the dash). These unusual performance gremlins weren't enough to warrant a trip to the dealer, but they did make me wonder if the SUV was supposed to be behaving like this or if there was something wrong with my vehicle.”

CONSUMERS REPORTS on 2018 Audi Q5:
“Shifting is quick, smooth and direct, but the transmission can exhibit a slight delay from a rolling stop.”
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Post on AudiForum.ca by wizzofoz on Jul 04, 2017:
“Noticing a lag when I accelerate after braking. Switched off Auto Start/Stop and it seems to help but ran into the issue a few times on the weekend, and once on the on-ramp to a highway which was scary. An error message suggests the transmission may be hot and that I need to alter my driving style, which really doesn't make sense for regular stop and go traffic in the city. I think it might be linked to Start/Stop where the car decides to switch off the engine but it never stalls, and results in the transmission not going in gear. When this happens, it seems like I am accelerating in neutral.
Anyone else noticed this?”
Final post by wizzofoz on this issue on Aug 16,2017:
“Happy to report that I picked up my Q5 after 7 weeks in the shop. They changed a whole bunch of stuff including the transmission. . . .”
Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RossG
Good afternoon everyone. As I've been driving my SQ5 around, I have noticed that when I'm driving in auto or comfort, there is a very noticeable stall in acceleration at times, before it picks up and continues. It does not appear to be present if I give it a good amount of throttle or if I am in S. I have also noticed that the transmission does not seem to want to downshift as early as it should. It will hold its gear even when it is as low as 1000 RPM, and the engine begins to lug because of it. I'm wondering if this is a programming issue or a physical one. Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing?
It's called turbo lag and I've noticed it myself in some drive modes on the SQ5.

If you switch to Dynamic, it does help, but it's not totally gone. Many turbos have this issue. I find the SQ5 is most annoying/dangerous when attempting to throw it quickly in reverse and then back into drive.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think it's turbo lag. I have experienced this myself, it almost feels as if the pedal is less sensitive, so you have to push it harder to get the same effect. I honestly feel it's done on purpose to save fuel economy by making you use less fuel by accelerating slower.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm definitely familiar with turbo lag, I had a bitrubo S4 in the past, and it had some lag too, but it was a manual. There definitely is some turbo lag in the SQ5, but what I'm experiencing is different than that. The lag keeps the power from really kicking in until about 2000 RPM, but what I'm getting is almost a stalling effect below that at times. If I give it lots of throttle, that really cuts back on it, but something still seems off. It does behave better in Dynamic, but I still get harsh and odd shifts sometimes.

The post that Olddriver put up about the Q5 actually sounds like exactly the sensations I've been experiencing. I sincerely hope the transmission doesn't have a physical problem and that it is merely software, but I guess I need to get it checked out.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Regarding the Q5 shutter when coming to a stop (around 1mph). The slight shudder is supposedly a nuance of the DCT when the clutch disengages, and is also supposedly normal. Others have mentioned on here that the Macan and perhaps other makes do the same thing. I did take my Q5 to the dealer to have it checked out. They said there were no issues. They also drove 2 new Q5s just off the truck- both did the same thing. I've also noticed it in a loaner A4.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RossG
Mine does it too, I think it’s part of the Fuel, Transmission map. In Dynamic it’s a fire breather so I assume it’s the normal program trying to be smooth and avoid lurching. If you ease into it and then give it full throttle it accelerates quickly. It’s easy to change to Dynamic if you feel rambunctious. On the other hand it could create a safety issue if you were in a hurry to avoid an accident. It took me a few weeks to adjust to it and now I hardly notice.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Mine does it too, I think it’s part of the Fuel, Transmission map. In Dynamic it’s a fire breather so I assume it’s the normal program trying to be smooth and avoid lurching. If you ease into it and then give it full throttle it accelerates quickly. It’s easy to change to Dynamic if you feel rambunctious. On the other hand it could create a safety issue if you were in a hurry to avoid an accident. It took me a few weeks to adjust to it and now I hardly notice.
I just got my sq5 two days ago. I have noticed an occasional time when I need to be more aggressive with the gas peddle. I now use the individual mode for the driving settings set to dynamic for engine/tranny and acceleration. I set suspension for comfort which seems great to me with the 21 inch rims, even comfort mode isn’t too soft. The other settings I leave on auto. So far the car is great. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've noticed a slight lag as well, even more pronounced in his car than other turbocharged cars I've owned.

99% of the time I drive in Individual, with the engine/transmission set to Dynamic.

Even with the transmission in Sport, this results in considerable lag, from a stop.

What I've noticed though, is the pedal travel is incredibly long, as almost all of the lag can be eliminated by simply "mashing" the throttle, which I did for this first time a few days ago, and the car literally lurched forward like a rocket from a dead stop...absolutely surprised me (pleasantly!).

As simplistic a solution as it sounds, nailing the throttle seems to be the answer when one wishes to avoid lag off of the line!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kubica
I've noticed a slight lag as well, even more pronounced in his car than other turbocharged cars I've owned.

99% of the time I drive in Individual, with the engine/transmission set to Dynamic.

Even with the transmission in Sport, this results in considerable lag, from a stop.

What I've noticed though, is the pedal travel is incredibly long, as almost all of the lag can be eliminated by simply "mashing" the throttle, which I did for this first time a few days ago, and the car literally lurched forward like a rocket from a dead stop...absolutely surprised me (pleasantly!).

As simplistic a solution as it sounds, nailing the throttle seems to be the answer when one wishes to avoid lag off of the line!
Floor it past the 'notch' and it'll take off

Quick Reply: SQ5 Transmission Behavior