Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Ned,

It is our (my wife and me) considered opinion that most people do take several cars on "test drives" -- but it is also our observation that many people (perhaps most) do not engage in "comparison" road tests. They typically do some research on the Internet (often using the mfgr's web site for much of their diligence) and they often (hopefully) read the professional's reviews from more than one magazine or webzine (also hopefully); but, when it comes to the test drives, they visit the Audi dealer, take a drive, discuss the drive amongst themselves and then go to the BMW dealer and take an entirely different drive (on different roads, conditions, etc.)

The argument is "the Audi dealer was on the west side of town and the BMW dealer was all the way over on the east side, so I couldn't take the car on the same streets, roads, and highways." To that, I respectfully say, bovine scatology! If you're making a $55,000 to $70,000 purchase (or lease) and don't fully vet both (or all) of the vehicles on your shopping list in the same way over the same roads, etc., you may find that you end up making your choice based on specious reasoning.

My dealer said that with a lifetime of experience it is often true that customers buy the last car they test drive and weeks later can't wait for the lease to end. The reason? Unique test drives and nothing that more than superficially resembles a comparison test. Folks here on AudiWorld are, I believe, a different "breed" of consumer -- meaning if you're reading this you may actually perform thorough comparison test drives. Of course, it is also possible, or probable, that you are here because you are inclined favorably to Audi and disinclined toward other brands. It is called Audiworld, after all, not Autoworld.

If you are new to Audi (and have not yet made your purchase), I urge you to undertake the "mission" of performing your own comparison road tests -- not unique test-drives.

Of course, you should do whatever makes you comfortable with your mid five-figure purchase; and, if that means you totally ignore the above suggestions, you should go your own way (with thanks to Fleetwood Mac). If you end up buying an SQ5 "just because" there is absolutely nothing wrong with that -- correct me if I have assumed in error: It's your money, you should do what you want, not what some stranger (that would be me) posted on a biased (and proud of it) forum.

On the other hand, my further suggestion is that you not tell your friends, neighbors, and family that you "compared" your new Audi to BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc.

My wife and I have the time -- and it is very time-consuming -- to take comparison road tests. Indeed, we've made it a bit of an avocation. "Let's go test the new Alfa, Macan, and Jaguar this Saturday, OK?" "Sure, I'll pack a lunch and we'll make a day of it!"

Since adopting this approach starting in 1977, we've found ourselves having acquired (leased or purchased) 1 Acura, 33 Audis, 3 BMWs, and 1 Infiniti. I feel like we've test driven virtually every premium brand available in the Cincinnati market (which certainly seems to be "everything").

In case you haven't figured this out: We don't have kids. I would suspect kids could complicate this approach somewhat. Meaning you could probably only find yourself performing comparison test drives every three or four years, rather than every other month (as we do).
Old 11-16-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

33 Audi's Holy cow...!