Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Tool for clearing snow off the hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

SnowJoe which is exactly the same as the other foam snow pusher, got it on Amazon for $15 or so. Def. second an electric leaf blower, I have been using one in my detailing arsenal for over 10+ years. However if the snow is wet or heavy, the leaf blower won't help ya. That's where the foam snow pusher comes in handy. TBH winter will always beat up your paint no matter how careful you are, you have to create a habit every year to remove the imperfections and protect it via a poly sealant or ceramic coating. Having good wash techniques over the warmer months will keep your paint in good shape, then over winter try to avoid the drive thru car washes or even touchless since they use harsher chemicals to remove grime. I opt to use a DIY wash bay that has heated pressure washers and my own supplies bucket etc.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by brjake
I'm not joking, and if you're a real Mass hole you know that you have to clear more than just the windows. Almost every newscast after a snowstorm includes a story about uncleared ice or snow blowing off a car and damaging one behind it. I don't want to be "that guy".
As another New Englander whose car unfortunately is not garaged, thought that I'd share my experience. Normally even on the coldest days I don't "pre-warm" my car, but rather get in, start it, let it idle for 30 seconds or so, turn the heat up to Hi, turn on the heated wheel and off I go. But when there is that hard crusted snow or ice on the car, I open all the heating vents and let the car sit for about 5 - 10 minutes. I find that after that time, the stuff is softened enough to pick off the chunks. I don't like to use the push broom because the base of the ice can still "scratch" the paint. Sometimes you don't have a choice, though. And I know what you mean about the snow or big chunks flying off of a vehicle and causing an accident--------I did it to someone in the early '70s when I was driving a tractor trailer. A slab of ice flew off the roof of the trailer and smashed the hood of the car behind me. Luckily no one was hurt.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've had some success floating the ice accumulation off with a hose. The water warms things just enough to break the ice/surface bond.

This past weekend I put the car in the garage and we were able to lift off huge slabs of ice from the roof once the car warmed just a bit.

Hard to protect your car when it has to be left outside in weather like we've had over the past few days. I spent much time just trying to get the doors open. Had to use the space heater to warm things
Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not really too **** about it--minor swirls/scratches are going to happen even if you clean it with a Q-Tip. Mine sits outside 24/7 so gets its fair share of frozen precip; I use a squeegee/brush combo on the car itself and scraper on the windows after running defrost for a few minutes. If there's a lot of snow on the car I go to the underground garage of a local grocery asap and let it melt off while shopping.

I love my cars and try to keep them as pristine as possible, but in an urban environment perfection is not possible.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

PPF completely covering the hood, and a snow brush with soft bristles.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

I decided to try a foam brush. Went for the
28-inch True Temper 28-inch True Temper
. No telescoping handle to break. If I don't like it, I'll try a microfiber towel wrapped around a regular brush. If I didn't have a garage for home, I'd get the leaf blower, but no need.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyAK
+1 on the leaf blower.- but only at home as it's not practical to haul around.
Away from home or If the snow is too heavy for that I go to the Snow Brum
I just ordered one of these from Amazon.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
I just ordered one of these from Amazon.
Just to add to the tread and give my feedback for those members who are thinking of buying the Snow Brum.
I had the opportunity to use mine yesterday for the first time and it lived up to it's description.
It worked really well at getting the snow off of the vehicle, especially off of the roof which is one of the main reasons I bought it.
We got dumped on yesterday but I was able to clear all the snow off quite easily.
Two thumbs up on this simple yet effective tool.

One word of caution:
Don't collapse it all the way and then twist the two sections to lock them. It doesn't leave a lot of room on the bottom section to grip it when you want to twist them again to unlock them.
Not a major issue but I had done this and it took me an extra minute to get the two sections to twist and unlock because I couldn't get a grip on the section that was screwed into the foam pad.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

We also had a major dump yesterday. I'm quite satisfied with the
28-inch True Temper 28-inch True Temper
. No telescoping to break. It fits nicely in the trunk and I can reach anywhere I need (haven't yet cleared the roof but it would reach).

I just hope I don't find scratch Mark's next week when I go to clean it - Mark's from dirt beneath the snow. The brush itself is soft foam
Old 02-14-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

As a guy living in Canada, I just use a window scraper with the snow brush at one end. I try to be gentle (not get right down to the paint to clear it 100%), but no matter what you do, there will be swirls in spring. Heck, driving through a blizzard will swirl paint.

One word of caution is if the paint is dirty, be extra careful on getting the snow off since it's just like sandpaper. As for comments with the leaf blower, the dealerships in town use that to clean off all the vehicles in the lots after a snow dump.

Quick Reply: Tool for clearing snow off the hood